try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ^
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    Daivuce wrote: »
    puzgrl wrote: »
    So I have been dieting and exercising for a year and have lost 63 pounds. I need to lose at least 80 pounds more to first big goal, problem is I have been on a plateau for 2 months. I have tried upping my calories, exercising more, eating more protein etc and nothing has worked. I have Hashimotos so my Thyroid is very sluggish even on meds. HELP! Oh I am 63 (in 10 days) and have DJD in joints but I need to do something....any body help?

Gluten free low carb and high protein diet + calorie counting + exercise = your best bet. With Hashimoto's you should completely eliminate certain foods from your diet. Reduce sugar intake, do not eat anything that contains wheat or gluten. Diary should be limited to fermented products only, such as kefir. Make sure that you get enough selenium in your diet, it reduces antibody levels. If you do not eat much seafood or fish, try eating 2 brazil nuts every day, they will provide you with enough selenium without the need for supplements.

Be careful with selenium, OP.

The tolerable upper intake level (maximum with reasonable assurance of safety) for adult women is 400mcg. One brazil nut can contain as much as 70-90mcg. Since most first-worlders aren't deficient to start, and some over-the-counter multi-vitamin/mineral supplements include selenium, it can be surprisingly easy to reach a potentially dangerous level.

Eating brazil nuts now and then is fine, but it's important to realize that eating multiples every day over a longer term has some potential for harm. It would be good to know whether you're deficient before adding more than a small amount on a daily basis.

I disagree that some other things in the quoted post are actually necessary, but they're reasonable to try out and see. Overdoing brazil nuts could actually possibly cause a problem, depending on starting status. (I personally wouldn't eat 2 every single day, though it's probably OK . . . but "if 2 is good, 6 is better" would be a bad way to think about them, perhaps.)

More info here:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

I know about this because I love, love, love brazil nuts. So I love them in moderation. ;)
  • Daivuce
    Daivuce Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Daivuce wrote: »
    puzgrl wrote: »
    So I have been dieting and exercising for a year and have lost 63 pounds. I need to lose at least 80 pounds more to first big goal, problem is I have been on a plateau for 2 months. I have tried upping my calories, exercising more, eating more protein etc and nothing has worked. I have Hashimotos so my Thyroid is very sluggish even on meds. HELP! Oh I am 63 (in 10 days) and have DJD in joints but I need to do something....any body help?

Gluten free low carb and high protein diet + calorie counting + exercise = your best bet. With Hashimoto's you should completely eliminate certain foods from your diet. Reduce sugar intake, do not eat anything that contains wheat or gluten. Diary should be limited to fermented products only, such as kefir. Make sure that you get enough selenium in your diet, it reduces antibody levels. If you do not eat much seafood or fish, try eating 2 brazil nuts every day, they will provide you with enough selenium without the need for supplements.

Be careful with selenium, OP.

The tolerable upper intake level (maximum with reasonable assurance of safety) for adult women is 400mcg. One brazil nut can contain as much as 70-90mcg. Since most first-worlders aren't deficient to start, and some over-the-counter multi-vitamin/mineral supplements include selenium, it can be surprisingly easy to reach a potentially dangerous level.

Eating brazil nuts now and then is fine, but it's important to realize that eating multiples every day over a longer term has some potential for harm. It would be good to know whether you're deficient before adding more than a small amount on a daily basis.

I disagree that some other things in the quoted post are actually necessary, but they're reasonable to try out and see. Overdoing brazil nuts could actually possibly cause a problem, depending on starting status. (I personally wouldn't eat 2 every single day, though it's probably OK . . . but "if 2 is good, 6 is better" would be a bad way to think about them, perhaps.)

More info here:

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Selenium-HealthProfessional/

I know about this because I love, love, love brazil nuts. So I love them in moderation. ;)

Hashimoto's is a chronic autoimmune condition causing an underactive thyroid. Many people with this disease show deficiency in selenium in their blood work. I only suggested what i did because I know someone very close to me with the disease and what many health professionals told her to eat or not to eat to help with thyroid issues. She is not using any prescription medication yet, because it is still possible for her to control the disease with proper eating. This is not a case of agreeing or disagreeing, it is simply what is needed for the condition and nothing to do with weight management. Overdoing on selenium is dangerous to your health and can result in hair loss and lots of other health problems, but I am sure OP knows how much of it she needs and if she uses selenium supplements, she would be better off replacing them with foods such as fish or brazil nuts.
  • takemetosingapore2019
    Options
    I’m not trying to lose although I have been slightly. However, my mom is on a diet right now and so are some friends. They’ve all sworn by a cheat day to break through a plateau. I think it seems legit. One day off eating what you want, but in reasonable portions, then get back on track and woosh :)
  • mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I am very curious why people plateau. If they are still eating at a deficit, how can they go a month with no weight loss?

Your weight isn't simply governed by CICO. Many other factors which CAN influence it (i.e., hormonal issues, disease, etc). Although CICO is a good road map in the battle, it's possible to be at a calorie deficit and STILL gain weight.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if I hit a stall and care enough to generate a 'whoosh' (and that is what it is for me) cutting sodium some, and eating at maintenance, laying off the exercise and getting enough sleep for a few days almost always makes it happen.

My fat loss was always consistent but if I needed that water weight to drop sooner for some reason (including curiosity) then just c utting things that encourage water retention (including a long term deficit) typically made it happen.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Kst76 wrote: »
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I am very curious why people plateau. If they are still eating at a deficit, how can they go a month with no weight loss?

Good question. people on here have all kinds of opinions on that matter and not all of them agree with each other. But I think it depends on the person who is going through it.
    I have issues with constipation...:( That can stall my weight in the scale at least. Or stall it in a way that I am not losing at the rate I should be, based on the scales number only.

But I have a friend who lost from 210 pounds and she stalled at 70 pounds for 2 months. Then suddenly the scale moved again. She was very adamant about her diet.

I've stalled for a month or two...because I was eating at maintenance. I'm woman enough to own my unplanned eating.
  • mourvedre
    mourvedre Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ..and in-regards to breaking a plateau, calorie cycling has always worked for me.