Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm low fat low fiber for medical reasons. I don't have a weight problem though i sometimes dip too low and need to gain. I have gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) and fat and fiber slow down stomach emptying even more so they cause more trouble than they are worth. I don't have diabetes or prediabetes but diabetes causes about 1/3 of gastroparesis cases. Those poor diabetics can't eat keto.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wow, the carb addiction is strong with these people. eat carbs, body responds with high insulin, get fat (due to insulin response), build insulin resistance, pre-diabetes then possibly even moving up to diabetes and/or heart disease. yes, you can lose weight with high carb low fat and calorie restriction, but it is hard to stick with the extreme calorie restriction needed to maintain your new lower weight and lower metabolism. as long as you keep pouring sugar into your system, it will maintain higher insulin levels that tell your body to store more fat.

I am recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and must go low carb permanently to control blood sugar levels, lose weight and regain insulin sensitivity. However, the more I find out about how our bodies work, I realize that I can fix this, and the main thing is STOP EATING REFINED CARBS. Even if you don't want to do a strict keto, look at paleo or primal. Even Mediterranian or South Beach diet would be an improvement over the typical American diet with more natural foods.

Longevity and good health are far more important to me than eating sugar.

carbs are not bad and they arent going to cause those issues,most people who have those issues either are overweight,have a genetic defect that can cause it,or have a health issue or a combo of those things. lots of the heart disease issues are caused from being overweight, genetics, certain illnesses/infections can cause issues with your heart. smoking can also cause it.

if carbs are bad then you must not eat veggies,fruit or dairy. its possible you became type 2 due to one or a few of the factors above. not everyone who has diabetes need to go low carb either,for some its a need for others not so much. many find just losing weight helps with their insulin and they have less of a need for meds

I am not insulin resistant, I dont have diabetes,Im not even pre diabetic,even when I was obese I had none of these issues. I lost a lot of fat. I cant do high fat diets due to a genetic defect. Ive been eating this way for a few years now. you dont get fat in a deficit of calories no matter how you eat,it doesnt work that way. I even eat refined carbs and my blood markers have improved including my cholesterol for the first time in 15 years(which is also genetic for me).

Im sure its due to the weight loss. and for me low fat is the only way I can eat since my body cant process fats and cholesterol properly and it does get stored in my body(mainly arteries and in the form of fat pads) but I still lost a LOT of fat eating in a deficit. I lost a total of 30+ inches on my measurements. I even lost my fat pads I had on my one knee and the ones on my ankle are barely noticeable now.

I get blood work done every 3 months. so far so good.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm low fat low fiber for medical reasons. I don't have a weight problem though i sometimes dip too low and need to gain. I have gastroparesis (delayed gastric emptying) and fat and fiber slow down stomach emptying even more so they cause more trouble than they are worth. I don't have diabetes or prediabetes but diabetes causes about 1/3 of gastroparesis cases. Those poor diabetics can't eat keto.

Yep. My husband is diabetic with gastroparesis. Low fat and low fibre is the way to go. Lots of white bread and white pasta. No way he could eat keto, he couldn’t even eat low carb.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    wow, the carb addiction is strong with these people. eat carbs, body responds with high insulin, get fat (due to insulin response), build insulin resistance, pre-diabetes then possibly even moving up to diabetes and/or heart disease. yes, you can lose weight with high carb low fat and calorie restriction, but it is hard to stick with the extreme calorie restriction needed to maintain your new lower weight and lower metabolism. as long as you keep pouring sugar into your system, it will maintain higher insulin levels that tell your body to store more fat.

I am recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic and must go low carb permanently to control blood sugar levels, lose weight and regain insulin sensitivity. However, the more I find out about how our bodies work, I realize that I can fix this, and the main thing is STOP EATING REFINED CARBS. Even if you don't want to do a strict keto, look at paleo or primal. Even Mediterranian or South Beach diet would be an improvement over the typical American diet with more natural foods.

Longevity and good health are far more important to me than eating sugar.

This is the type of cognitive dissonance I mentioned earlier, where challenging responses to a ketogenic diet somehow must be linked to a hand in pushing for high carb, understood as the obesogenic standard Western diet high in refined carbohydrates, without regard for nutrient density.

The insulin-carbohydrate theory of obesity is easy to fall back on and is readily the sole argument for metabolic distress used by keto advocates. If many lchf dieters also try to adhere to the ketogenic ratio of macronutrient composition as it was proposed for epileptic children, with a 4:1 fat:protein ratio, then there are definite counter arguments for that approach since a high flux of circulating fatty acids may actually exacerbate insulin resistance in the absence of carbohydrates.

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/7/11/5475

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/5/517

I suggest that all dieters, keto especially, get a firm grasp of substrate metabolism within the body. Cellular energy status is going to dictate whether hormones initiate energy storage or usage. A good friend phrased it in this way: insulin can't store the fat you don't eat. At the same time, insulin's primary job is not to counter hyperglycemia, rather it regulates the amount of fatty acid in circulation as it corresponds to circulating glucose, which is explained by the Randle cycle. An inactive lifestyle coupled with being overfat hinders the metabolic flexibility that should normally occur, which is a precursor to metabolic disorders like diabetes. In other words, it's not because insulin isn't regulating glucose, it's because chronically high levels of glucose are circulating so much that there isn't enough insulin to regulate the fatty acids getting sent to the liver, pancreas, and other organs.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/8136524_Substrate_cycling_between_de_novo_lipogenesis_and_lipid_oxidation_A_thermogenic_mechanism_against_skeletal_muscle_lipotoxicity_and_glucolipotoxicity

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmet.2017.04.015

Finally, in the context of which macronutrient causes weight gain in a surplus, they all do due to the cellular energy status to drive substrate storage, however, overfeeding on protein actually may protect against significant amounts of fat gain with increases in fat free mass contributing to the weight gain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5786199/

Wish I could awesome this post a hundred times!
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    yes if you like it and it works and you make sure to take care of your micronutrients, no if you don't like it or can't do it responsibly. I lost over 70 pounds in like three months on keto and I loved it and would not be opposed to going back on it. I'm not doing it now because I'm unclear about how it would affect gaining muscle. It depends on the person, but personally, I would suggest anyone at least give it a go and see if it's for them.