Help! Persistent oily, greasy, waxy feel in mouth!

Options

Replies

• tishblankenship
    tishblankenship Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Also, to add to my previous post, I was given Percocet for five days. I have not taken any for the past four days. I have not had allergic reactions to pain medications or antibiotics in the past (or any other medications as far as that goes).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    We now have N3...
  • AnnaStox
    AnnaStox Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's not quite the same mouth taste by the description in this article, but any chance you've had one nuts recently....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8455575/Cheap-Chinese-pine-nut-exports-blamed-for-rare-condition.html
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had similar waxy feeling with top of my mouth after eating pizza some time back. I thought i had burnt the roof of my mouth with the food
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had similar waxy feeling with top of my mouth after eating pizza some time back. I thought i had burnt the roof of my mouth with the food

Did the pizza have pesto?
  • jshabatu
    jshabatu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hiya Janet,

This sounds like “burning mouth syndrome” which is the only other ‘waxy’ mouth condition that has information online. A few dentists thought this might be my condition, however I never had any “burning” sensation at all. I hope that you can find some resolution. Also as a random coincidence I do have a brother-in-law who developed an allergy to cranberries! He gets similar symptoms to what you are describing, so you might also want to check down that path as well.

I do hope you get to the root of the issue! Sudden mouth oddity is sooooo scary!

Warm regards, Jes

janetstaub wrote: »
    Hi! I found your post after searching for "waxy mouth" because this AM I awoke with the same symptoms you describe. I see this happened in September. How are you now, and did you ever figure out what is happening? I did search online and found several non-answers, but there are definitely others who experience this. they, too, have no explanation.
    Yesterday evening my lips seemed as if they were burned. This was after eating a cranberry sauce. I also drank hot coffee during the day. But I have eaten cranberry sauce and drank hot coffee many other times! I also am feeling a slight sore throat.
    Thank you for any light you can shed on this! J

• jshabatu
    Options
    WOW! That is super creepy-crazy! Thanks for adding that link here!
    I do think this my situation was different, but this is great to be aware of.

-Jes
    AnnaStox wrote: »
    It's not quite the same mouth taste by the description in this article, but any chance you've had one nuts recently....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/8455575/Cheap-Chinese-pine-nut-exports-blamed-for-rare-condition.html

• jshabatu
    Options
    Oh Tish! That sounds miserable, I am so sorry! We are exactly the same age, so that is interesting. I had been on a long course of antibiotics proceeding my condition (cipero and macrobid for UTI) but that was a few months before the lidocaine.

While I was desperately researching on the web for anyone else who would had ever had this condition I did find several people who had thrush and were describing “waxy-feel”. The whiteness in your mouth that you described is the predominant symptom of yeast and oral thrush. Also, you had a lot of soreness with your mouth which would indicate that the hypha of the yeast we’re actually permeating the tissue of your mouth. I’m not a doctor, but it sure sounds like thrush! Ouch :(

If you Google “waxy mouth feel” and the term “thrush” you will see that several other people have posted about a similar condition. I did not have thrush. I did not have any soreness or whiteness. The dentist all checked me carefully for this condition.

I hope you will get some resolution soon it sounds absolutely miserable what you’ve had to endure!

Warmest regards,
    Jes
    OMGoodness! I have been searching for a week about this and have found no information either. I too have a waxy, oily, greazy feeling on my tongue and roof of my mouth. I am 41 y.o. and had surgery 10 days ago. Abdominal hysterectomy and cystocele (bladder prolapse repair). I was in the hospital for two days to recover and have been home since discharge. I am off from work for the next four weeks. The first couple of days I had a very dry mouth and "unfamiliar" taste in my mouth. I assumed it was from being under anesthesia for 3 hours. My first full day home from surgery (3 days following surgery) my tongue became very sore and white. I called surgeon who then prescribed Diflucan for 7 days for a diagnosis of oral candidiasis (thrush). Two-three days following taking the medication the soreness was relieved. This is when the oily, waxy, greazy feeling became very noticeable. It has been 7 days now with no relief or signs of getting better! It is 5 am and I have not been able to sleep. It should be the pain from the surgery that is keeping me up but no, it is this feeling in mouth keeping me awake. I was given two different IV antibiotics immediately following the surgery (I do not know what they were but you bet I will be finding out). I have not called the MD regarding this because I assumed it was due to the medication given for thrush. So I figured I would give it a few days to get out of my system to see if this would begin to change. Two days after last Diflucan pill and no relief as of yet. This is driving me crazy! Difficult to eat. Not because it is painful but the constant waxy feel is non-changing and irritating. Also, my tongue is mostly smooth. Very few taste buds are noticed or felt. Please, original postee or anyone else with helpful information reach out to me. Please and thank you.

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Tonsil stones could also be a culprit. Sometimes the bacteria and gunk that can accumulate in your tonsil cavities can cause a really weird persistent taste and sensation. I'd think in the case of OP, probably not,since she had several exams, and they'd have likely caught it. But for new people searching the topic, it's worth looking into.
  • chattaway2015
    chattaway2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have similar symptoms. In Jan I was diagnosed with a few autoimmune disorders and was put on an immune suppressor. After taking for a month a caught a cold I couldn't shake and was given a rocephin/steroid shot then another rocephin shot a few days later. Meanwhile taking antibiotics as well. After the first 3 days I noticed my mouth feeling blah and that I couldn't really taste my supper and had a slight burning feeling on my tounge. I was pretty stuffy already so couldn't taste much anyway. I knew I was going back to see the doc the next morning because I still didn't feel any better. She claimed thrush and gave diflucan. After one dose it helped, but the waxy feeling was still there. My lips are super dry and I'm miserable. I talked to my rheumatologist and she suggested stopping my meds she gave so I could get well then restart after. I havent had a shot in years and the antibiotics she gave I haven't taken in my adulthood that I'm aware of. I stopped taking everything antibiotics as well and I finally got relief from congestion. But my mouth is making me very sad. I can't stand to eat anything but I'm super hungry. The commons i see are antibiotics and steroids. I need to see the dentist but I haven't
  • anciavdm
    anciavdm Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jes

I have EXACTLY the same symptoms that you described! Have searched the internet extensively and you are the only one describing my symptoms.

Possible explanations (if i check all the posts so far):
    -I had surgery on my foot 3 weeks before the waxy feeling appeared. Had anaesthetics
    -I started taking a supplement again that I’ve taken before about 4 days before the feeling appeared.
    -Only food item i had that I haven’t had before was smoked paprika- but that was literally 30min before I experienced the feeling - so unlikely that its that.

So now i am on day 3 and pretty annoyed! Will phone my dentist later in a desperate attempt to get rid of this.

Thanks for your posts so far - at least i know I’m not the only one!

Ancia
  • lhilgert
    lhilgert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if you are still posting on here but you just described exactly how I am feeling. This waxy coating thing with numb sensation in my mouth just started yesterday. I have not had any dental work done, no new medication or supplements, no new foods, nothing out of the ordinary?!?! I don't know what to do!!
  • jshabatu
    Options
    anciavdm wrote: »
    Jes

I have EXACTLY the same symptoms that you described! Have searched the internet extensively and you are the only one describing my symptoms.

Possible explanations (if i check all the posts so far):
    -I had surgery on my foot 3 weeks before the waxy feeling appeared. Had anaesthetics
    -I started taking a supplement again that I’ve taken before about 4 days before the feeling appeared.
    -Only food item i had that I haven’t had before was smoked paprika- but that was literally 30min before I experienced the feeling - so unlikely that its that.

So now i am on day 3 and pretty annoyed! Will phone my dentist later in a desperate attempt to get rid of this.

Thanks for your posts so far - at least i know I’m not the only one!

Ancia

Heya Ancia, any antibiotics? This is starting to get interesting. It's like this is a more common symptom for folks, but maybe mild enough that no one has been posting or telling their doctors? Thanks everyone for writing in!
  • jshabatu
    Options
    lhilgert wrote: »
    I am not sure if you are still posting on here but you just described exactly how I am feeling. This waxy coating thing with numb sensation in my mouth just started yesterday. I have not had any dental work done, no new medication or supplements, no new foods, nothing out of the ordinary?!?! I don't know what to do!!

Mercy! Have you looked up "burning mouth syndrome" and "thrush?" Those seem to be the top two usual suspects...but some of us are having these symptoms without those conditions
  • jshabatu
    edited March 2018
    Options
    UPDATE from J. March 6, 2018 -

I just wanted to post a quick update as I had another "attack" this weekend after being symptom-free for about 6-weeks. It happened after eating a hamburger (made at home from USDA Organic 100% grass-fed beef). I ate the burger on Sunday afternoon, and right after I ate I noticed the waxy, fatty slightly metallic taste symptoms again, and they are better but still lingering on Tuesday.

I have now noticed a connection between my symptoms and eating highly fatty foods like beef, or the Vegan 'burger' from FIELD ROAST called FieldBurger. But I have eaten other beef (even another burger from this batch!), ice cream and other fatty foods without prompting an attack...

Honestly, I have no more deep insight; this is just a report ;P

I can now say it comes and goes, so I am not as worried that I will be stuck here forever---but I sure as heck would like to know how to stop it!

Thanks everyone for keeping up with this thread.
    J
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jshabatu wrote: »
    UPDATE from J. March 6, 2018 -

I just wanted to post a quick update as I had another "attack" this weekend after eating a hamburger (made at home from USDA Organic 100% grass-fed beef). I have now noticed a connection between my symptoms and eating highly fatty foods like beef, or the Vegan 'burger' from FIELD ROAST called FieldBurger. I ate the burger on Sunday afternoon, and now I have the waxy, fatty slightly metallic taste symptoms again, still lingering on Tuesday. But I have eaten other beef (even another burger from this batch!), ice cream and other fatty foods without prompting an attack...

Honestly, I have no more insight; this is just a report ;P

I can now say it comes and goes, so I am not as worried that I will be stuck here forever---but I sure as heck would like to know how to stop it!

Thanks everyone for keeping up with this thread.
    J

Have you been checked for reflux?

It's not exactly the same symptoms, but that's similar to the taste I get in my mouth while eating something that's going to set off my reflux in 3-4 hours.

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    This is one scary creepy thread. I hope you guys manage to identify the cause. I'll be following this.

(I'm so bad with psychosomatic stuff that I regret reading it lol )
  • Naybag
    Naybag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. This thread popped up after a search for slippery tongue! I am a 42yo female who was diagnosed with strep throat and prescribed amoxicillin on Sunday. As the horrid throat pain subsided, a new slippery tongue emerged. First noticed it when eating some raisin Bran, got concerned the next day when trying to eat pizza. I started googling when a bite of melon felt like I was eating a spoonful of fish oil.

I will add that my tongue also feels a bit swollen. Yesterday I suspected a side effect of the antibiotics and that Google search did reveal "swollen, black, or "hairy" tongue". My tongue is redder than normal, and I would definitely describe my tongue feel as slippery not hairy. However, I have to concede there could be a connection.

I'm miserable. Food tastes horrible. Inhave 5 days left of my antibiotics. Hoping the issue will subside quickly.