is heavy cleaning legitamate exercise?

Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,670 Member
sometimes I do out of the ordinary heavy cleaning where I volunteer. Today I cleaned for 3.5hrs. sweeping, putting things away, making several trips to the trash bin & lift up heavy bags to throw in, lots of raking, mopping, cleaning kennels non stop, drenched with sweat the whole time. I don't do this every day & don't log my hour walk or anything else I do at home. Is this legit to add as exercise?

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Yep. If youare sweating and working harder than normal, it definitely counts.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    I think that the difference is when it is as you describe out of the ordinary of everyday activities. When I am moving furniture around and moving around lots of heavy objects mopping my hand etc. I don't log it, but I allow myself to go over a little on my calories knowing I burned more then usual that day. I think what annoys people on MFP are the folks who log everyday light cleaning, and then complain about not losing any weight
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    There was another thread on this board a couple weeks ago that discussed this. It was a pretty good discussion with a lot of relevant posts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10586292/the-cleaning-entry-under-exercises
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    IMO, it should be logged, in the circumstances you describe.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    If it isn't something you do on a regular basis, don't mark it off. If it is something daily, change your daily caloric intake.
  • Evamutt
    Thank you all, I'll look that other thread up when I get home, I'm doing heavy cleaning again today. Again, I don't do this much heavy cleaning at our rescue center every time I go & don't log it, but a few ppl are not able to be there today, so I'm doing it. Yesterday I took 4 bags of trash out that I rolled out in the can & had to use all my effort to haul it into the big trash bin. One of the bags was full of dog poop & as I grabbed it, it started to rip & I used all I had to throw it in there before it ripped all the way, bin is over my head lol ew
  • This content has been removed.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Evamutt wrote: »
    sometimes I do out of the ordinary heavy cleaning where I volunteer. Today I cleaned for 3.5hrs. sweeping, putting things away, making several trips to the trash bin & lift up heavy bags to throw in, lots of raking, mopping, cleaning kennels non stop, drenched with sweat the whole time. I don't do this every day & don't log my hour walk or anything else I do at home. Is this legit to add as exercise?

If your MFP activity level is set to sedentary, then I say yes. Your net calorie allotment, in that case, would have been calculated assuming you were not on your feet working physical labor for several hours.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    I'd also say no. It takes me 2 hours to mow my yard and I don't call it exercise. A workout should be targeted and efficient. Calories lost from cleaning are an extra bonus.
  • Evamutt
    thanks everyone
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    If it's something you don't do on a regular basis: ie move the fridge and stove and scub behind/under. Then yes, log it. If it's part of your everyday routine, that is part of your activity level.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    I would say yes,, it burns calories and if you break a sweat, sure why not
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    I log any "deliberate" activity, i.e. something I could NOT do if I preferred to sit on the sofa. So I log mowing the lawn - interestingly, now I'm lighter it takes me 10 minutes less than when I was overweight! I log my walks to and from work - as I could get a bus or drive - and I log cooking/food preparation if its something involving a lot of effort - I'd log making a lasagne, or baking (up til it goes in the oven), but not just taking something from the freezer. I do a lot of cooking from scratch but only log it if its over 1/2 hour effort (not an occasional stir!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I used to work as a cleaner & my Samsung watch told me id done a 'dynamic workout' so yeah, pretty sure it counts.

so if you did such dynamic workouts why are you on here trying to lose weight?

So many reasons..... my love of food being 1 :)

like the rest of us I am sure..my point with your post was that as a "cleaner" it's part of your activity level...