is heavy cleaning legitamate exercise?

Options
Evamutt
Evamutt Posts: 2,431 Member
sometimes I do out of the ordinary heavy cleaning where I volunteer. Today I cleaned for 3.5hrs. sweeping, putting things away, making several trips to the trash bin & lift up heavy bags to throw in, lots of raking, mopping, cleaning kennels non stop, drenched with sweat the whole time. I don't do this every day & don't log my hour walk or anything else I do at home. Is this legit to add as exercise?

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Yep. If youare sweating and working harder than normal, it definitely counts.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think that the difference is when it is as you describe out of the ordinary of everyday activities. When I am moving furniture around and moving around lots of heavy objects mopping my hand etc. I don't log it, but I allow myself to go over a little on my calories knowing I burned more then usual that day. I think what annoys people on MFP are the folks who log everyday light cleaning, and then complain about not losing any weight
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    There was another thread on this board a couple weeks ago that discussed this. It was a pretty good discussion with a lot of relevant posts.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10586292/the-cleaning-entry-under-exercises
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,831 Member
    Options
    IMO, it should be logged, in the circumstances you describe.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If it isn't something you do on a regular basis, don't mark it off. If it is something daily, change your daily caloric intake.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    Thank you all, I'll look that other thread up when I get home, I'm doing heavy cleaning again today. Again, I don't do this much heavy cleaning at our rescue center every time I go & don't log it, but a few ppl are not able to be there today, so I'm doing it. Yesterday I took 4 bags of trash out that I rolled out in the can & had to use all my effort to haul it into the big trash bin. One of the bags was full of dog poop & as I grabbed it, it started to rip & I used all I had to throw it in there before it ripped all the way, bin is over my head lol ew
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    sometimes I do out of the ordinary heavy cleaning where I volunteer. Today I cleaned for 3.5hrs. sweeping, putting things away, making several trips to the trash bin & lift up heavy bags to throw in, lots of raking, mopping, cleaning kennels non stop, drenched with sweat the whole time. I don't do this every day & don't log my hour walk or anything else I do at home. Is this legit to add as exercise?

If your MFP activity level is set to sedentary, then I say yes. Your net calorie allotment, in that case, would have been calculated assuming you were not on your feet working physical labor for several hours.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd also say no. It takes me 2 hours to mow my yard and I don't call it exercise. A workout should be targeted and efficient. Calories lost from cleaning are an extra bonus.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If it's something you don't do on a regular basis: ie move the fridge and stove and scub behind/under. Then yes, log it. If it's part of your everyday routine, that is part of your activity level.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I would say yes,, it burns calories and if you break a sweat, sure why not