Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

is heavy cleaning legitamate exercise?

Options

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I log any "deliberate" activity, i.e. something I could NOT do if I preferred to sit on the sofa. So I log mowing the lawn - interestingly, now I'm lighter it takes me 10 minutes less than when I was overweight! I log my walks to and from work - as I could get a bus or drive - and I log cooking/food preparation if its something involving a lot of effort - I'd log making a lasagne, or baking (up til it goes in the oven), but not just taking something from the freezer. I do a lot of cooking from scratch but only log it if its over 1/2 hour effort (not an occasional stir!)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I used to work as a cleaner & my Samsung watch told me id done a 'dynamic workout' so yeah, pretty sure it counts.

so if you did such dynamic workouts why are you on here trying to lose weight?

So many reasons..... my love of food being 1 :)

like the rest of us I am sure..my point with your post was that as a "cleaner" it's part of your activity level...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    exercise is not required for weight loss or maintenance period
    Correct.
    But completely irrelevant to what I was talking about - attempting accurate calorie estimation.
    It's almost like you are trying to move the goal posts! :)

Anyway I'm off for a cycle ride, I may be gone some time.

which was irrelevant to the OP of should I log heavy cleaner as exercise calories so I can eat more food...

have fun...my bike has dust on it from lack of use this summer.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For real, I'm so overweight that I get winded and sweaty cleaning my 4 x 7 bathroom. Because I share it with my two brothers, that's my Sunday exercise. Spend 45 minutes unnecessarily cleaning every speck off the enamel just for my brother to get dirt from what I presume is him literally rolling in the street of his school? Checkarooney.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I'll provide a definitive answer since no one else seems to have it.

If it's a once in a blue moon type activity then don't count it. If the activity felt significant, eat back the calories only if you feel like you physically need them in the short-term. Don't eat back if you don't physically need them - running an excess deficit for one day based on one activity won't kill anyone (unless that activity was like running a marathon or riding a stage of the Tour de France or something).

If it's an activity that you don't usually do but it replaced your normal workout for the day in intensity and duration, then go ahead and count it as exercise.

If it's an activity that you regularly do, then either include it in your base activity level or count it as incremental exercise whichever you prefer.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'd note that some people want to accumulate the best possible set of log data, for eventual use in estimating personal loss rate or TDEE from their own data (which, when collected carefully, is inherently more accurate than calculator estimates).

This makes an even stronger case to eliminate minor one-offs from trend analysis.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,048 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I'd note that some people want to accumulate the best possible set of log data, for eventual use in estimating personal loss rate or TDEE from their own data (which, when collected carefully, is inherently more accurate than calculator estimates).

This makes an even stronger case to eliminate minor one-offs from trend analysis.

Nope. Its a case for accuracy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

No it actually doesn't.
    You would exclude bad data but wouldn't exclude small data for accuracy in plotting trends.