Losing Weight without Support

Options
2»

Replies

• niklong
    niklong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a similar model. My husband hates vegetables and anything that is considered healthy and eats horribly...and the kicker? He's not overweight! He tells me to cook what I want and he'll eat PB&J or cereal for dinner. It sounds great, but I have it stuck in my head that it's my job as the wife to prepare dinner for both of us, that we both enjoy. So I compromise my health and desire to lose weight. I'm still trying to master this...fortunately the only meal we eat together during the week is dinner. So I try to make that the meal I save the most calories for so that I can make something we both like but doesn't totally ruin my day (calorie-wise).
  • Stationagentjules
    Stationagentjules Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Cook's choice. Make the veg and protein that you want and a token processed junk carb or even simple bread and butter on the side for him. He can choose to eat any of what you've prepared or not. You eat the things you want.
    Leftover veg is a great next day snack.

As a mom cooking for a family, there were times when I'd put bread and a jar of peanut butter next to my son's plate. He could eat the meal that was prepared or make himself a PB sandwich. No questions asked.

what is a "token junk carb" seriously?

you know veggies are carbs right?

I think most people understood the point of my post, but sometimes the forest gets lost, what with all the trees in the way. I'm happy to clarify my three word description that you held up in quotation for further scrutiny.

What I meant by token junk carb is the idea of serving one high calorie dense food on the dinner table to satisfy the person who wants it. - the kind of side dish that is often the first empty dish at the potluck. I hesitate to call it a comfort food, as I'd surely need to clarify that term as well.

Yes, you're right about me. I do know that vegetables contain carbohydrates, but perhaps someone else has benefited from your nutritional knowledge. I appreciate you're finding a teachable moment.

• nadinetrottier11
    nadinetrottier11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with some of the posts that this is about you and your commitment in making healthy choices. However, I could not share my life with someone who did not make the same commitment. This commitment does not mean my husband and I need to eat exactly the same foods, or always be active together, but a big part of my identity is about being healthy and I believe it is easier to be with someone who shares similar goals. Do you picture yourself in the long run with someone who makes unhealthy choices, thus compromises their health? I hope the advice is helpful to you - good luck in your health journey!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Personally it just took awhile for my husband to start eating healthier with me, I cut out most meat, he still ate meat, until recently we now only eat meat maybe once every two weeks? And I came home last night and he was making avocado and black bean mini tacos (he found the recipe himself, went to the store and made them) so maybe he will turn around?

At the same time dont expect him to change his ways because yours are different, Find a way to make it work and still eat dinner together, you can still eat smaller portions of whatever he is eating as well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I gained about 40# after getting into a relationship with my husband (now married 15 years). I started eating how he eats, rather than how I ate when single. Don't let that happen to you.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,000 Member
    Options
    Hi, I agree with some of the posts that this is about you and your commitment in making healthy choices. However, I could not share my life with someone who did not make the same commitment. This commitment does not mean my husband and I need to eat exactly the same foods, or always be active together, but a big part of my identity is about being healthy and I believe it is easier to be with someone who shares similar goals. Do you picture yourself in the long run with someone who makes unhealthy choices, thus compromises their health? I hope the advice is helpful to you - good luck in your health journey!

Well said. I was thinking something along these lines, and you articulated it beautifully.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Cook's choice. Make the veg and protein that you want and a token processed junk carb or even simple bread and butter on the side for him. He can choose to eat any of what you've prepared or not. You eat the things you want.
    Leftover veg is a great next day snack.

As a mom cooking for a family, there were times when I'd put bread and a jar of peanut butter next to my son's plate. He could eat the meal that was prepared or make himself a PB sandwich. No questions asked.

what is a "token junk carb" seriously?

you know veggies are carbs right?

I think most people understood the point of my post, but sometimes the forest gets lost, what with all the trees in the way. I'm happy to clarify my three word description that you held up in quotation for further scrutiny.

What I meant by token junk carb is the idea of serving one high calorie dense food on the dinner table to satisfy the person who wants it. - the kind of side dish that is often the first empty dish at the potluck. I hesitate to call it a comfort food, as I'd surely need to clarify that term as well.

Yes, you're right about me. I do know that vegetables contain carbohydrates, but perhaps someone else has benefited from your nutritional knowledge. I appreciate you're finding a teachable moment.

I wasn't sure if you meant something like a Knorr side dish (as it's quick easy and usually tasty) or maybe french fries (as most would call that junk) or things like rice or potato etc and I am still not totally sure and wouldn't want to assume...so thanks for the not so clear clarification....

and actually if you had said comfort food I would have thought along the lines of creamed potatoes...(so good)

as for the other comment you did make the distinction between veggie and carb in your post so I was just clarifying again...