Today's weigh-in :(

Options
I am so beyond disappointed with today's weigh in. I have been exercising daily for an hour, except one day last week when I only made it half an hour. My workouts are either biking 10-15 miles or walking 3 miles. Once a week I go on a 25 mile bike ride. I have been at or just below my calories for the day and I managed to gain 2.5 pounds! I'm so frustrated I can hardly think of anything else today and I just want to give up. My scale hasn't budged in two weeks. I feel better, my clothes fit better, but I want the scale to show me that this is working! Has this happened to you guys??

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If your exercising to this degree is new, it's probably your muscles retaining water for cushioning and repairs. Give it a couple of days to a week, and that will go away.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I really hope that's what it is. I started exercising on a regular basis in June but recently stepped it up to working out every day. (About three weeks ago).
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Have you never heard the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building muscle you are shrinking and this is a good thing. Get a tape measure you will see inches dropping off your body and this is great progress. It is a wonderful thing to turn fat into muscle. If you were not staying on your diet it would be different you might be gaining fat but if you are doing what is right you are probably converting fat to muscle.
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'll second the water theory. The numbers on the scale are just a small part of the overall equation. Keep up the great work.
  • SmilinSue12
    SmilinSue12 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's ok... Been there... Wait a couple days. It could be bloating. It could be anything. It will show. I promise. Don't give up.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I feel better, my clothes fit better,

I think this is way more important than the number on the scale. You may not have seen the scale change, but you have seen something change for the better and should focus on that change.

I remember when I was in high school and first stated lifting weights. I lost 2 pant sizes and didn't loose a single pound. If you are working out as much as you say you are I'd expect to gain some muscle weight.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Scale changes for me nearly every day, and women seem to have more dramatic fluctuations than guys. Lots of potential options, especially with infrequent weighing. Could have just caught an up-day or up-week.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Have you never heard the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. If you are building muscle you are shrinking and this is a good thing. Get a tape measure you will see inches dropping off your body and this is great progress. It is a wonderful thing to turn fat into muscle. If you were not staying on your diet it would be different you might be gaining fat but if you are doing what is right you are probably converting fat to muscle.

No
  • michellechawner
    Options
    could be the muscles retaining water, or you're not nearly eating enough to exercise that much and are netting too low. Your diary is closed, so I can't tell.
  • R4eBro
    R4eBro Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is it close to your cycle? I can always guarantee myself a two to three pound gain before it. Check your measurements and I bet you are leaner!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE IS A USELESS TOOL!!! As long as you are seeing changes in your body and your clothing fits better, then it's working. You will likely not see a loss every week. "Weight" fluctuates based on so many things that your scale does not measure. I'm sure in another week or so, that slight gain will be gone. Don't sweat it.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Could it also be you are exercising too much? I read more and more this is not a good thing and your body needs to rest as well. They mostly advice to train about 3 times a week. And how is it with your calorie intake? Does that add up with the training?
  • CastoChristina
    CastoChristina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. MFP friends suggested I upped my calories and stop working out for a little while. I was working out almost daily. I gave myself a three day break and I was down three more pounds this morning. I was losing inches but not pounds. I am starting my routine back up today and will see next Monday what the scale will say. Good luck to you.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Don't focus so much on the scale right now. If you feel better and your clothes are fitting better then you are doing something right. Also it has only been 2 weeks this is a long road don't get so upset so soon in. Patients is key here.

I urge you to take pictures and measurements. Seriously if you look and feel better what does the number on the scale really mean?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

No

Double no.

No debate here. Muscle takes up less space than fat therefore when you build muscle and lose fat you get smaller. That aside, the OP is not likely building much muscle while eating at a deficit and doing only cardio.

OP you are likely retaining some water whether it is from exercise, food or maybe your period is arriving soon. Don't worry about it. Weigh in again tomorrow or wait until next week to weigh in again. It's not tragic to not lose every week! Hang in there!
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    It is most likely not ^^ muscle as you haven't been at it long enough and its been mostly cardio work and not strength training. I do agree however that it could be water retention due to the new exercises. Not to mention heat. Not sure where you live, but working out plus summer heat will cause you to retain more water than normal.

Your diary is closed so I'm not sure how much you are eating or drinking. But with this much exercise I'd guesstimate you should be eating at LEAST 1400 calories (or more) and drinking at LEAST 120oz of water per day!! In order to reduce water retention you need to drink more - sounds weird, but water is needed to make all your organs function properly. So when you dehydrate your body will naturally retain any and all water to keep you alive. When you start to flush your body only then will it start letting go of the water. Same with food - your body is a machine and needs fuel to function properly. If you are not fueling your body it will store food/nutrients to keep you alive. When you eat more it will burn more!

I would also suggest strength training. Lean muscle will burn more calories through the day vs cardio only!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My scale hasn't budged much at all but I've lost over 7 inches and my body fat percentage has gone down. I've decided to move the scale down the list of ways to measure success and to concentrate on measurements instead. There are far too many variables that contribute to the number on the scale that I'd drive myself crazy trying to fix them all to make the scale go my way right now.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I feel better, my clothes fit better, but I want the scale to show me that this is working! Has this happened to you guys??

Feeling better + Clothes fitting better = IT"S WORKING!!!

Forget the scale! :smile:
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options

No

:happy:
  • ehte_h
    ehte_h Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I feel better, my clothes fit better.

This is far more important