Discussing food and weight with your teenager

I have a 14 yr old daughter who loves food! She has always been at a healthy weight but in the last 6 months or so, I have noticed that she is filling out. I'm meticulously weighing and logging so she is seeing that. It doesn't seem to affect her choices. On the one hand, I'm glad that she is not self conscious or worried about her weight or what she eats. On the other hand, I do worry that she is going to get there if she continues to get heavier.
How have you/do you broach this topic (if at all) with your teenager?

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Momepro wrote: »
    But if she does ask you about her weight, make sure you let her know that puberty is a really easy time for girls to gain if you are not living a healthy lifestyle. (Which sucks because it's the opposite of the guys).You aren't doing her any favors by not being honest either.

It seriously depends on the kid, not the sex. My sister and I struggled to keep enough weight on our growing bodies until we were well out of our teens. I was slightly underweight until almost 30. And I ate a lot.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    I second what alloypoe has said. And she will always remember your not being happy with who she is.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    But if she does ask you about her weight, make sure you let her know that puberty is a really easy time for girls to gain if you are not living a healthy lifestyle. (Which sucks because it's the opposite of the guys).You aren't doing her any favors by not being honest either.

There are good and bad ways to be honest though. I don't know how helpful it would be to emphasize your point, especially since it won't be true for every girl. My sister didn't start gaining weight until after her second baby, everyone consistently questioned whether she ate enough (she did) or had an eating disorder growing up (she didn't) because she was so thin. If a parent wants to be honest with their teenager then point out the average healthy weight range for their stats and that while it's a good idea to try and make good food choices there's nothing wrong with having fun and enjoying some pizza or something either.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

Puberty is also a really good time for girls to go through a growth spurt.

OP, unless your daughter is getting into obese territory wait it out or talk to her pediatrician about any concerns you have.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Mom of a soon to be 16yr old girl. Encourage, but do not force physical activity. "Why don't you go to the park with your friends, it's a beautiful day out". When you talk about food use health as a meter, not fat or calories. Why should they eat more vegetables: because it's healthy, that's it! Not because of calories or to help you lose weight, but healthy!. This way it's a concern for overall health and not appearance. Yes, weight will be affected by eating more veggies and less "junk" because of lower calories, but that's just a side effect. Also, hormones can have a huge impact of weight gain or loss, so long as she's normal - do not worry. My daughter started getting a bit chubby at 14, 6 months later she was 6" taller, and looked slightly underweight. She's normal now. Remember, their bodies are going through some major changes until they are about 18-23 for girls and 20-25 for boys.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Don't talk about it but be a good example. She's watching you and maybe she doesn't appear to care or notice now, but she does.
  • JasmineDiver22
    JasmineDiver22 Posts: 148 Member
    I agree 100% with @Jthanmyfitnesspal I'm 23 years old and grew up in an Italian family that ate whatever they want, when they want, how ever much they wanted. I do somewhat blame them for passing that life style on to me when I was younger and became big very fast and those habits brought into my adult life. If you can catch her now @ 14 and If you eat healthy around her and/or talk about exercising, I promise you she will be watching you and most likely want to join you and hopefully it'll save her from future misery of being obese! Good luck!!