Discussing food and weight with your teenager

Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Take it from someone who was overweight as a teen and had a mother that did nothing but criticize; in my teen mind of "rebellion" it only made me want to eat more and ended with me going crazy with food when I went to college and ending up obese. When I lost weight I only did it because it was MY decision and did it for ME. I know you are coming from a place of love and caring but your daughter may see it is criticism and disapproval, I often thought my mothers love was tied to what I ate as a teen even though she never approached it that way. If she starts to develop health issues surrounding weight let her doctor be the one to talk to her about it, absolutely be there to support her but leave it to the professionals to tell her to lose weight. As others have said, be a good example and support her with your habits.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    I agree with those that say to encourage more physical activity. When I was growing up my mom nagged me all the time about eating, and I wasn't fat or overweight. I weighed about 105 lbs. during highschool. I realized later in life that my mom had her own eating/food issues, and I think that's why she kept on me--projection. I didn't have weight problems until later when I was living on my own, but she did not teach me about nutrition at all. In fact, she couldn't cook so I did most of the cooking. I did learn how to cook and knew enough about nutrition, but her nagging did leave me with some body/self esteem issues.

I don't have children myself, but aside from encouraging physical activity and participating in it as a family if possible, if I were a mom, I would include my children in planning and cooking meals. Who plans the meals and cooks in your home? Do the children help? This would be a way to positively help her to understand about nutrition, so that she learns how to plan, understands what is going into the meals and how to prepare them.

I love this idea, thanks!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    You make most of the meals, I assume? Just make those the best healthiest things they can be and it could help offset some of her choices. I have a history of eating disorders on both ends of the spectrum so my mum never commented on my weight as a teen or even at my heaviest a couple of years ago, which I appreciated, but she would always try to make me food that was going to help me. Not even necessarily 'low calorie' or 'high calorie' depending on where my weight was, just lots of vegetables and good stuff. To be honest, it was eerie how sneaky she was about giving me good food. I never questioned it that way because that's just what mums do isn't it? Take care of you with food? JSYK, my mum never under/overfed me, she suffered an ED in her teens/early 20s too and takes great pains to be as healthy about food/portion sizes/types of food (nothing is off limits) as she can without ever imposing anything on me and my brother, so my weight gain was all self imposed emotional eating. In fact, I would have never known she had an ED if I hadn't seen pictures of her and asked her about it.

If your daughter actually becomes overweight then I might consider saying something just because I know now how much I wish someone had stopped me from gaining. Tell it to her straight: it's not about the weight, it's about her health which will suffer the bigger she gets. If she still wants to eat whatever she wants, you know you've said your piece. I think it's about how you frame it. Health over aesthetic.

About her hips though, I'd ask her if it's general complaining or if she's actually upset about how they look. Just because if she's truly unhappy with a part of her body then that's something you guys need to talk about. If reassuring her isn't working then maybe she needs to address what upsets her about them. I only say that because if you can nip body image issues in the bud then she'll be a lot happier in the long term. Good luck with your daughter, you probably don't have anything to worry about but it's good you're aware of it before/if it starts. :heart:
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    edited August 2017
    I have a 14 yr old daughter who loves food! She has always been at a healthy weight but in the last 6 months or so, I have noticed that she is filling out. I'm meticulously weighing and logging so she is seeing that. It doesn't seem to affect her choices. On the one hand, I'm glad that she is not self conscious or worried about her weight or what she eats. On the other hand, I do worry that she is going to get there if she continues to get heavier.
    How have you/do you broach this topic (if at all) with your teenager?

there is a difference between 'filling out' which you would expect a 14 year old to do, and 'getting fat'?

personally i am not convinced that her watching you meticulously weighing and measuring is a good thing, have you had a conversation about why you need to do that?

This. Also re. encouraging physical activity: while logical and healthy, this could very much be seen as a judgment about daughter's body/weight, especially if it's a new thing. Teens aren't stupid; they can sense judgment even if it's not explicit (or even if it's imaginary in some cases). Tread lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKRsHgYIoE
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    eyer0ll wrote: »
    I have a 14 yr old daughter who loves food! She has always been at a healthy weight but in the last 6 months or so, I have noticed that she is filling out. I'm meticulously weighing and logging so she is seeing that. It doesn't seem to affect her choices. On the one hand, I'm glad that she is not self conscious or worried about her weight or what she eats. On the other hand, I do worry that she is going to get there if she continues to get heavier.

there is a difference between 'filling out' which you would expect a 14 year old to do, and 'getting fat'?

personally i am not convinced that her watching you meticulously weighing and measuring is a good thing, have you had a conversation about why you need to do that?

This. Also re. encouraging physical activity: while logical and healthy, this could very much be seen as a judgment about daughter's body/weight, especially if it's a new thing. Teens aren't stupid; they can sense judgment even if it's not explicit (or even if it's imaginary in some cases). Tread lightly.

This. My dad used to always tell me guys wouldn't like that I walked too fast or wore clothes that were too baggy (it was the late 80's/early 90's) I brushed it off, but it still hurt.
    Then when fashions got more fittedhe would send me back to my apartment to change before taking the family out to dinner! Couldn't win.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    I would personally not buy junk food or soda and if she mentions it say it's because you can't trust yourself with it. And have lots of yummy cut up veggies and fruit and nuts. As we all know, it's a lot easier to take off five pounds than 40.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    eyer0ll wrote: »

This could be true, especially if the encouragement is something new. If she is getting heavier she'll know it. And if you suddenly start encouraging her to exercise she will likely tie that in her mind to the extra weight.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Prepare healthy (high-volume with lots of veggies and protein) meals for your family and stay active with your daughter. Bike rides, walks, whatever interests the both of you. It's a great time to bond while doing something active.

My mom said some nasty things to me when I was a young, slightly-pudgy teenager that still stick with me and make me feel self-conscious. A little comment here and there, even said as "a joke", can be really damaging.

So just focus on providing a healthy home atmosphere for your daughter and let her make her own choices.