MFP Poll -How many do their own lawns vs hiring someone?

Options

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I need help under the porch. I can't reach and it gets really thick down there

I was watching Stand By Me the other night and the kid hiding under the porch found out about the dead boy by the railroad tracks. Not related to mowing but I thought I would throw it out there.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    I asked the question because I know for many Americans the dream used to be owning a home and mowing the yard. You know, 1950's Americana. Now the dream has shifted to how many servants you employ.

Here in Canada, especially when you're unemployed, you just hope to have sheet of cardboard to your name to sleep on.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I got rid of my lawn years ago.

Here's an example:

zi53vf1sqr95.jpg
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @cee134 wrote: »
    I got rid of my lawn years ago.

Here's an example:

zi53vf1sqr95.jpg

Did you also used to teach chemistry in high school and now own an RV?
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    50/50.

The place I currently live hires out a company to mow all the front lawns and the areas around the back. Tenants are responsible for their garden beds and the enclosed space in the back yard. I just finished the weeding this morning, as a matter of fact.

The place I used to live in Cali we hired someone to do it for us after the landlord decided to be an *kitten* about everything. It was 70 a month for them to come out and maintain the front and back yard once a week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I do it myself. It's as small task. It was a decision I made long ago when I was very obese. I would do it because I would oblige myself to get up and move. That was the same thought process that led me to choose a house floor plan with the master bedroom upstairs. I was obese, and a stairway would force me to walk up stairs at least once or twice a day. A few years ago I had a stair lift device installed because I believed that I'd have an invalid father-in-law living with us. That didn't happen, but there have been a few times my wife needed the stair lift and it's still in good working order if either of us ever do need it in our senescence.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    It seems more people are paying others to mow their yards, do their edging, etc.

What do you do?

I do all my own yard work. Mowing and edging takes about an hour and a half. Good calorie burn, plus I'm good at it.

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Do it myself. Takes about 2 hours to clean the yard (pick up trash, sticks, etc.) and cut it. I prefer to do it myself because I feel like it's a great workout and stress reliever.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i have two geese that do it. they also keep the dandelions out.
  • gkingbr
    gkingbr Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I do it myself
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I did hire it out... but thought .... hey... why not get a workout in cutting my yard, plus save money I can pay myself
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Hmm hiring a company to mow several lawns at once...maybe my Girl friends and I should go in on this. More efficient and great money saver.
  • fit_finesse92
    fit_finesse92 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    We cut our own yard, 1 acre.
  • daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We've never hired out even when we lived in the country and had four acres. Thankful for the suburban lot we have now. Why pay someone when you can get a workout and save the money? :)
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have help with edging. If I do it on my own I shout stuff all over the place. It's better to have someone catch it for me.
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    I prefer to have help with edging. If I do it on my own I shout stuff all over the place. It's better to have someone catch it for me.

It really can be an awful mess
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    JLAJ81 wrote: »

It really can be an awful mess

Especially if you are a hard edger, no control at all
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    IMO - such a waste of hard earned money to hire someone. And also pretty lazy. But hey, i guess that's why lots of us came to mfp to begin with...because we're lazy MFers. :smirk:
  • pudgy1977
    Options
    It's so refreshing to see a normal conversation here. I am loving the advice and different point of views on landscaping.