please weigh in and MAKE me understand (help me)

Options
124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Ronogg wrote: »
    Cross reference your details from the package with MFP, a lot of the database is user created so wrong entries or their own recipes that could be literally anything, there's no way of knowing. Make sure to look for entries with the weight measurement (sometimes this is harder than is reasonable but it is what it is). If in doubt refer to the USDA website for correct calories.

did this for my meal today here is what i came up with.. this is hamburger patties from a cow we purchased from a local farmer so 80% lean is a guess according to the butcher who processed the meat for us... also besides a kombucha for lunch this is all i have had to eat today besides 90 oz of water and 16 oz of black coffee..k7g9z6iug2xy.jpg

I'm surprised nobody beat me to this - meat that doesn't include whether it is raw or cooked is a user-created entry. There is a big difference in calorie counts between raw and cooked. A system entry will come from the USDA database and look like this:

5883b5a599d01ea6ef9802911cd7d824.png

Unfortunately, the green check marks are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Cross reference your details from the package with MFP, a lot of the database is user created so wrong entries or their own recipes that could be literally anything, there's no way of knowing. Make sure to look for entries with the weight measurement (sometimes this is harder than is reasonable but it is what it is). If in doubt refer to the USDA website for correct calories.

did this for my meal today here is what i came up with.. this is hamburger patties from a cow we purchased from a local farmer so 80% lean is a guess according to the butcher who processed the meat for us... also besides a kombucha for lunch this is all i have had to eat today besides 90 oz of water and 16 oz of black coffee..k7g9z6iug2xy.jpg

I'm surprised nobody beat me to this - meat that doesn't include whether it is raw or cooked is a user-created entry. There is a big difference in calorie counts between raw and cooked. A system entry will come from the USDA database and look like this:

Unfortunately, the green check marks are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

Well spotted! I think I'm just so used to the slightly different way nutrition information is presented on our packaging and that I don't butcher my own cow (the novelty of which I'm enjoying) I don't often have to check, I just check what the package has it calculated as (raw or cooked is generally next to the calorie value).
  • Ronogg
    Ronogg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If you're sure about your entries.... of course go with them.

If I was randomly logging a meal such as the one you describe, I would probably log it as per below.

Assuming you got the actual low moisture part skim Lucerne mozza, from the various entries in the database, I would assume it to be approximately 80 Cal per oz (28.35g)
    if your 4fl oz represent ~120 grams, the entry you're using is wrong.
    note that a fl oz does not equal an oz, unless you're talking water.

Note that a full fat mozzarella would have different values.

4n0p67bzgt2y.jpg

so the only thing i was unsure of was the cheese and you clarified that.. these are open-faced with 1 oz of meat mixed with seasonings and tomato soup with melted mozzarella on top so there is actually 4 pizza burgers in this log.
  • Ronogg
    Options

Well spotted! I think I'm just so used to the slightly different way nutrition information is presented on our packaging and that I don't butcher my own cow (the novelty of which I'm enjoying) I don't often have to check, I just check what the package has it calculated as (raw or cooked is generally next to the calorie value).

i was wondering about this exact thing.. i actually weighed the patties while they were still frozen so they were raw.. should I be doing this for everything? so a chicken breast weigh it raw or cooked?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

i was wondering about this exact thing.. i actually weighed the patties while they were still frozen so they were raw.. should I be doing this for everything? so a chicken breast weigh it raw or cooked?

Raw will be the most accurate due to the varying levels things can be cooked. Cook it to death and it will lose more weight and vice versa. so weigh raw when you can.
  • Ronogg
    Options

Raw will be the most accurate due to the varying levels things can be cooked. Cook it to death and it will lose more weight and vice versa. so weigh raw when you can.

wcbryt6ns3zp.jpg

so this should be spot on i ate 3 of these bad boys for dinner...
  • Ronogg
    Options
    o crap forgot the ketchup
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    o crap forgot the ketchup

LOL . We have all done something similar.

You are definitely getting the idea. Congrats. The other nice thing about weighing everything is that you get a good sense of serving size so when you are someplace without your scale you can be comfortable making a guesstimate.