• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    :)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy International Country Music Day!

I’m not a big fan, myself, but I listen to country & western every now and then. The TV show “The Voice” has given me more appreciation for it.

Meg – I’m sorry your daughter is putting you through all that. It sounds so stressful! Some people just seem to have a hard time growing up and getting their act together. You can only do so much.

Becca – All the hoopla around the holidays puts so much pressure on people to “do it right.” Heck with that… much as I love making a big deal about Thanksgiving and Christmas, sometimes we just need a break and that’s OK too. If you and your family are doing what works for you and lets you enjoy your time together, then more power to you! What I’d really like to do some Christmas is take a trip back to Colorado with Philip so we can go cross-country skiing – I miss it so much! Would require some delicate negotiation with family, but right now we can’t afford to do it anyway so there’s no need to bring it up just yet.

Okie – We have a great front porch, and it’s got more free space on it than I’ve got inside the house. I’m thinking of putting a Christmas tree out there myself this year. Would also make it easier to lock the cats away from the tree!

Rye – I just love your vintage stove! My Maine coon is also on the “small” side – about 16 pounds at his recent vet visit. Quotes because most people would say that’s a pretty big cat!

Chris – Wow, that red dress is VA-VA-VOOM! And also ka-POW!

Allie – Thank you very much for sharing the memorial fund for Gloria.

Felicia – Hope you are feeling better by now.

Terry – I hope you go parasailing! I’ve only done it once, but it was a blast.

Beth – So glad to hear about your son’s new job!

I’ve been doing OK with logging on the weekends, but touching base in here is a different thing altogether and I’m behind again! I spent most of Friday running errands and getting things done, then yesterday my husband had a booth at the local business expo for his massage practice. As a one-person business he’s pretty much busy from the minute he sets up his chair, so I go along to make sure he eats and takes a break now and then, fetch things for him, scout out the other booths and let him know who I think he should talk to, etc.

Today I watered the outside plants and washed the dishes. Once I post this I’ll put a load of clothes in the washer and then I’m going to settle down with a book for the afternoon.

Be good to yourself today!

-Yvonne in TX
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,258 Member
    Options
    Still coughing. :s I feel that I am gradually improving, but still having fits of coughing.

My cancer friend has texted me to say that her symptoms and scans are not good. She is starting oral chemo for palliative care on Thursday. I have such a busy week and Edie's party next Saturday and cake to ice, but I hope to get up to see her next week when my cough improves (hope) I hope to talk to her about her wishes for her last weeks.

Tomorrow we are going out for lunch with my brother and DSIL. She is driving us to Winchester. They hope to get to us a bit earlier so they can see our holiday pics. I'm not sure my brother will be impressed by the fish restaurant, Rick Steins, that we are going to. He loves big portions and good value. This place is elegant and on the dainty side. :D I have booked a window table. They do a "cheap" lunch, but I usually go a la carte as we go out so rarely.
    I've washed my hair and clear varnished my nails. Just got to get up early so we can do our exercises before I get ready. Haven't decided what to wear. It going to be showery and parking is difficult in town. Can't wear heels!
    Looking forward to it. I have hardly been out of the house in weeks, apart from one food shopping trip.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

other- washing/drying the 3 kids- 1hr 15min = 206c
    Apple Watch 359c

total cal 206

Kirby was planing on doing a long run outside today, but he changed his mind, lucky me :0)
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yvonne in TX, Ah, cross country skiing sounds fun. I have heard its mega calories you burn, like downhill skiing, but you get to enjoy the snowy quiet! The only relaxing part of downhill skiing for me has been when you get to rest on the chairlift! Night skiing was my favorite! Plus sipping on hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps was also fun. I would take a bus up to Mt Hood, so by the end of the evening my girlfriends and I were falling and feeling no pain! Ahh the young life.

I think Navy life has shaped how I feel about holidays. They pretty much happened whenever we wanted them to happen. Some years it might be Christmas in February! Leave dates are whenever you can get them. It was interesting for the boys when they were young. Once when we were stationed in Imperial Beach, CA, we lived in an apartment complex blocks from the beach. I wanted us to win the Holiday Window Contest the complex had, so I think I put every Christmas doodad I owned on that window! It looked like Christmas had thrown up on our window it was so " busy"! We didn't win... Dang it!

Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The beach can always cause a change in attitude! I just love it when the surf takes you in and you fall and just let yourself go. No, I have never let myself go to far. Not even close. But you do get a bunch of sand in your pants. That is one reason why I love renting a beach house now instead of a hotel. No elevator with towel around you and all that. Just run up to your own rental and get in the outdoor shower, if it is or ate enough, slip out of the swim suit. Oh, it has been two long years since we have gone to the beach and you guys make me miss it. I have never been to Virginia beach. Any thoughts on what it is like?

Wendy, I would almost always take a rescue pup over a dog you buy unless you know the owner of the parents, especially the Mom. Years ago when we bought our shelty, we did answer an add but we were able to meet the family that raised him, meet. Oth his MOm and Dad. He wa the last of the littler to go. Our neighbors thought he was such a beautiful and well mannered dog and paid twice as much from a pet store and she wasn't at all like our dog who was the exact same breed. You see so much about puppy mills. You never know where a pet store gets their dogs. As far as what breed to get, just think of what you are doing with him. Will he pay attention to you on your run or be more inerested in what is going on. Michelle has a boxer and although he loves to run without a leash, you take him on a leash on a walk and he is pilling you everywhere. Good luck with your search.

Michele, could you just call the place where they are holding the dress rehearsal and ask what their dress code or reccomemdation is? Would solve not having to involve asking Maria what to wear. That just puts her over you when it came to making decisions. That gives her power over you. Some of my favorite dress rehearsal dinners have been held at a pizza place.

Church was good this morning. We have this one lady that I enjoy watching so much from the choir. See that is a benefit of being in the choir. She helps us worship so much just be watching her. But today she just seemed so broken. She usually just has this radiant look on her face as she sings or listens to the music, especially the choir special. It today she was almost clutching her blouse to her face, hiding her face. Then as soon as we were leaving the choir lost to be in the congregation she left in tears. I only had a short chance to give her a hug as she was leaving.

Joyce, Indiana.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hey Wendy! I saw someone mention Australian Shepherds--they are so smart and might end up herding your little kids so well you'd always feel they were safe! They are often a one-person dog, too. Not too tiny but not big and good-natured.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: I think some sort of gesture to mark the first anniversary of your surgery is a great idea. Giving yourself a bit more latitude in how to exercise is liberating and a good mood enhancer. :smiley:

Becca: Your breakfast looks healthy and delicious. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Joyce (& Michele): I agree with your advice for Michele to call the place where the dress rehearsal will be held for information on appropriate clothing choices. She will be able to make a good decision for herself and not be dependent on Maria. You have a very good idea! :flowerforyou:

We have a little bit of rain today, too. It is misty in the air, and the sidewalks are just damp. I hope the rain is also falling on fires in the Columbia Gorge with enough quantity to make a difference. Our son came for an unexpected visit yesterday and left this morning. It was a treat to see him. :heart:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Rye, I like what you did with the origami. Very creative and colorful

Michele, I think Joyce had a good idea for you to call the place and see what the dress code is.

Terry
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Rye, love the bright colors of your work. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa that's the cutest picture of your granddaughter. Totally tells the story. Lol

My sister's (the one that had the heart attack) granddaughter got married this afternoon outside at a lake way up in the Colorado mountains. Hope they didn't get rained or snowed on.

Thanks all for the sweet comments on Mia. The doctor was not too happy about a new baby so soon either. Mom has to deliver via C-section and he doesn't like doing it so close together.

Janetr okc
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Wendy - I have a good friend who is a long distance runner, her canine partner is an Australian shepherd or Border collie mix of some kind, and he runs with her in all kinds of weather. Not sure if he'd fend off an attacker but he is her faithful companion and protector, plus a good size - I'm guessing around 45 lbs. Here they are:

luq82m7z96mv.jpg

So maybe your husband is heading in the right direction. :) Have you considered carrying pepper spray or some type of personal self defense - if it's legal in Australia?

Good luck! I love looking at puppies!!

Lanette
    SW WA State[/quote]

What a beautiful dog and lady! I wouldn't mind an Australian Shepherd but I haven't seen any advertised here in New Zealand, though I know they do have them over here. I am fond of the blue merle colour too. They have a lot of blue heelers and kelpies here, but I think the blue heeler is not exactly the same as an Australian Shepherd. Maybe I am wrong. I will have to do some more research. I met a kelpie at the Riverside Market on the weekend who was such an adorable little sweety. I loved her, but she was so friendly she would have been totally useless as a protection dog. But I remember my neighbour in Citrus Heights where I grew up had a blue merle Australian shepherd (Rocky) comes to mind, who was a good guard dog. I think blue heelers are quite protective too. I raised and bred Rough Collies for about 25 years. My last one died about a year ago and I was heartbroken. Couldn't run with him though, as he got too hot. He was a brilliant guard dog though. He was born blind, in the last litter I bred, so I kept him, thinking he wouldn't survive all the hazards. But he developed radar and had a guardian angel and he lived a full life, about 12 years. He always barked ferociously whenever he heard someone approach, so he was good to take out hiking and he loved it. He learned how to jump into my vehicles and he loved to play fetch, and really liked the beach. An Inspiring dog! The vet told me at the six week vaccination that this puppy had no sight whatsoever, lacking some important elements in the eye. He would run into wheelbarrows that were left thoughtlessly about, but most of the time if he wasn't running top speed, his radar warned him and he would turn aside just in time! I really miss my dear boy Shelby.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,578 Member
    Options
    Lll
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Having a good Sunday afternoon, except the Cowboys are losing.
    Linds - it is so good to see you posting again. I hope you are well.
    Been reading all the posts and enjoying all the pictures.
    SueBDew in TX