Age = less attractiveness?

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    This is a question that is running through my mind lately. It's probably my own insecurities eating me alive so I wanted to know your opinions. I know losing weight will not only help me look better but also feel better about myself too. But does age play any part in this?

As I get older, I worry I won't be attractive enough to meet new friends or find love from the opposite sex. Does anyone else feel this way?

I know confidence is sexy, of course but as I get older, I worry that my weightloss won't be the same as when I was 20 trying to lose weight(and successfully lost 137lbs in a year!). After regaining that weight though and way more than I bargained for, I am really scared.

I know beauty isn't important and it's society that makes us feel that it is, but will my age, affect my level of attractiveness to others or is this all just in my head?

How old are you exactly? When you were 20 you probably had friends around 20 years old. If you're 40 now, are you still trying to be attractive to new 20 year old friends, or to persons in your own age group? If you're 50, are you looking to find love from the opposite sex in the 25 year old age range, or a bit nearer to your own age?

Don't let your mind harbor negative thoughts about yourself. Work on your weight, but this time don't make it a temporary diet. let it be a lifestyle change, so that you don't have to go back through this process a third or fourth time again.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    But Raquel Welch is still pretty smoking hot at 76.

I guess I'll disagree, in that while she is hot for 76, she was hotter in Barbarella.

Yeah, it sucks, but people get less attractive as they age and, in general, it is worse for women (in the eyes of most men). Looking around the gym, I see older ladies who are fit and in better shape than I am (not difficult to be) but they are not as attractive as the younger women. Somehow (and it may just be the straight guy in me talking here) I don't see as much of a difference between younger and older guys if they are in shape.

It's not right, it's not fair and it is no reason to not improve your health.

Hope I man'splained that well.

Don't worry. And guess what, we find the 25 year old guy working out at the gym a lot more attractive than the 45 yr old guy. But then I am sexually attracted to men, and I'm assuming you're not - so I can better see the difference. Also, there is a difference between finding someone incredibly attractive and being willing to be with them in a relationship. Sure the 20yr old is smoking hot, wouldn't actually date him though.

For the record, been married to the same person for 26 years. She has always been better looking than me. But, yeah. She did look better then. But I was also skinny when we got married and she still is, not like me.

I couldn't deal with a 20 yr old. I've sat behind them in movie theaters. Nope. Don't care what they look like.

Great. Now I've offended the 20 yrs olds here. I'm doing well today.

@Tacklewasher Congrats on your 26 years of marriage. It's 29 for me, and it doesn't matter if there's been a few changes of appearance over those years. I don't look at other people in the same way as I look at my wife, so the physical attractiveness is incidental, and of no consequence.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My parents divorced at age 50. Both of them are now in committed relationships and have great social lives.

Don't be afraid to have confidence in yourself! Try something new- join an activity group, MeetUp.com or go on Match.com. I know multiple people who have had success with online dating.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What an enligtening discussion, thank you everyone!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I met my wife 27 years ago, I think she looks better now than she did at 19, I know I look better as well, but guys do get better looking with age. But my wife... she was cute, now she is smoking hot.
  • Newlife0327
    Newlife0327 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think it's all up to you. The older you get you have the choice how u want to be perceived as.
    I'm 36 I'm not gonna dress as if I'm 18. I dress up to look good for my age and my lifestyle choices are healthy so I can help my body feel better.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you don't know it, the highest STD rate per capita is in "senior living" homes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Can confirm. You would not believe the amount of sex going on in "retirement homes." I was a nurse at a CCRC and was invited to "join in" literally more times than I can count. They don't use condoms as a general rule because -- I quite directly-- "None of us are getting pregnant."
    Think about that the next time you visit Granny and Gramps.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Society gets pretty much everything wrong. Don't follow the masses.

I try not to "follow the masses" but it's hard to do as you say when every girl on every poster is not flawed at all.

Try to remember something I read a while ago - that many times, "Even the girl in the picture doesn't really look like the girl in the picture". There is so much 'touching up' done to photos of models, some of it outrageous, that I find it hard to believe anyone really looks the way you see them in a magazine these days! :)

As many other people have said, "beauty" and "attractiveness" are not the same thing, and you don't need one to have the other. (Nor is either attribute limited to the young and slim!) In your life there will always be people who find you attractive and/or beautiful and people who won't, so try not to worry about looking a certain way. Concentrate on being yourself and developing your own look, style and confidence (regardless of your age or size), and people who want to be around you will be attracted to you for who you are, not how you look.

*hugs* I wish you all the best - it's hard not to feel like you need to look a certain way to be acceptable when we're constantly bombarded with images in the media, but try to say "F- it!" and do what makes you feel good and happy. :)

(For the record, I'm almost 52 and currently working on the "develop your own style" thing! I don't think I've ever really had a "style", and now that I can fit into regular-sized clothing I want to find a look that I can identify with to help me with shopping... :) )
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Coco Chanel
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm 37 and could easily pass for 25 (ppl incorrectly guess my age by 10+ years all of the time). Funny thing is...I definitely look better (objectively) at 37 than I did at 25.

Take care of your skin now! Wear sunblock and moisturize!
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    When i was in my 20's i thought 40+ year olds were sooooo old. Now that I'm 45 I love it, and I'm still waiting to feel like a grown up :tongue:

Don't those 20 years old seem like babies to you now? So young! ;)

I'm another who think we become less attractive as we age; that seems to start in middle to just after middle age. There are definitely people out there who peak in attractiveness in middle age (40s-50s) but they are a minority. Once middle age and after hits, it seems more common to get the statement, "that person is attractive" followed by the disclaimer, "for their age".

I'm also another who thinks, "who cares?". I know in my final years I will never regret not having fussed over my appearance more. I'm not unattractive. I am less physically attractive then I was at 25, but I don't really care. I'm aging. It beats the alternative. ;)

@nvmomketo, when I was 20 years old, other 20 year olds seemed like children to me.. now that I'm in my 30's, 30 year olds seem like children and 20 year olds are down right infantile. But to be fair, everyone in highschool thought I was a substitute teacher. Guess I'm to boring to hang with the hip crowd. :neutral:
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Hopefully, when you've lost the weight you want to lose, you'll feel so fantastic about yourself you won't give a *kitten* if you look attractive to anyone or not. :smile:

I try not to "follow the masses" but it's hard to do as you say when every girl on every poster is not flawed at all.

The girls in the magazines don't even look like the girls in the magazines.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to drop in here and recount a conversation I had with a lady customer at Wal-Mart today.
    She said she was 81 and didn't have any make-up on. I said, "You do look nice and I'm not saying that to be nice."