Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Options

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Hard root beer. 350 calories/bottle. wtf

Hard root beer is a thing? Seriously? Be still my beating heart... <3<3<3

(We don't get it in the UK. This is DEVASTATING NEWS. How easy is it to find in the US? I will TOTALLY be saving calories for it next time I'm there...)

We have this here in the UK - i think Tesco stock it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I dont have TV whats the commercials like :o ? @Tacklewasher

They had a stupid "got steak" one years ago, cartoon monkey that makes no sense and just one annoying one after another. I get this way when I see too many dumb commercials. Just grumpy in my old age is all.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    My only problem with Subway is the general lack of quality. I feel like there are other places I could get a sandwich that tastes so much better (Panera, Schlotzsky's, Jason's Deli all come to mind).

My kiddo loves Subway, though, and I'd rather end up there than McDonald's!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Hummus.

Highly recommend subbing baba ganoush for hummus
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    My only problem with Subway is the general lack of quality. I feel like there are other places I could get a sandwich that tastes so much better (Panera, Schlotzsky's, Jason's Deli all come to mind).

Most people dont have Schlotzskys or Jason's Deli. They are both delicious, but relatively small local chains
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Most people dont have Schlotzskys or Jason's Deli. They are both delicious, but relatively small local chains

True, but I'm sure there are equally better quality sandwich shops where others are. That was my point.

My kiddo loves Subway, though, and I'd rather end up there than McDonald's!

I will agree with you all day on that. Subway>McD's any day for me.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

I'm in a small Midwestern city and we have both of those. I travel a lot for work and see Jason's Deli and Schlotzskys all over the Midwest and South. Maybe they're not prevalent in rural/suburban (like Subway is) or on one or both coasts (?) but to me it seems they both have a huge presence.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm in a small Midwestern city and we have both of those. I travel a lot for work and see Jason's Deli and Schlotzskys all over the Midwest and South. Maybe they're not prevalent in rural/suburban (like Subway is) or on one or both coasts (?) but to me it seems they both have a huge presence.

I've seen them in several different states, including Tennessee, Arkansas, Minnesota, and Arizona.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I don't watch much TV. Haven't seen any commercials. What I can say is that a six inch, double meat roasted chicken on 9 grain honey oat bread with all the veggies, mustard, and vinegar, baked BBQ Lays, and a diet coke or iced tea looks like this. Yummy, low cal, good macros.

cdv35q4zjl39.jpg

Is this P/F/C?
    (My macros show as C/F/P which made me think you found chips that had 24g of protein per bag...?! :# )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Hummus.

Why? I like it way better, but the calories mostly come from oil, vs chick peas, which are healthier for you (and way more filling).

Or maybe it's the brand I bought, but the first ingredient was mayo...
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah juice is definitely one, with the whole thing about people having a glass of orange juice with breakfast in about every single tv show or movie out there, lol. Juice is actually the only thing I basically cut out from my diet (I've had one glass in 4 years). Really annoys me that they suggest taking my iron pill with orange juice... NOT worth the calories at all.

And subway being 'the healthy choice'. lol.

Oh, wraps too. Just as many calories as a sandwich yet they always show as a healthier choice.

Yes! This annoys me. Tortillas are NOT less calories than bread. A flour tortilla is 140+ calories, and that's just an 8". Now lettuce wraps... that's something I can get behind. If I'm looking to cut calories with a meal that involves a sandwich, burger, etc. I'm down for switching out the bread with lettuce. Leaves me room for something that fills me up more.

Growing up in California, I was baffled when I moved to the Midwest and learned that people thought eating stuff on a tortilla made it "healthier". I love me a good quesadilla, but there's really no difference between that and a grilled cheese sandwich.

And my personal favorite is the spinach or sun-dried tomato wrap. As if that magically makes them healthier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I live in a rural area and we have a Schlotzkys about 40 min drive, which isn't bad since it's about 30 min to anything other a little country store. Never heard of Jason's though. I prefer Subway to Schlotzskys for sandwichs, though Schlotzskys for salads. And I like Schlotzskys bbq chicken pizza. But Quiznos makes better sandwiches than either IMO.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Hummus.

Why? I like it way better, but the calories mostly come from oil, vs chick peas, which are healthier for you (and way more filling).

Or maybe it's the brand I bought, but the first ingredient was mayo...

Weird...I never make mine with mayo. It is like hummus but made from vegetables instead of legumes. Comparing the health of chickpeas versus eggplant is kind of silly. When I make it, it's virtually the same recipe, except eggplant instead of chickpeas. There's no additional oil...there's just less calories from the main ingredient. Personally, I find that it is lower cal and just as satisfying.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited September 2017
    Options

I never see them in any of my travels...but I'm mostly bicoastal.

ETA: there are about 350 Schlotskys. There are even less Jason's Deli. There are over 25000 Subways.
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    allyhbeal wrote: »
    I only started using MFP last week. I'm not overweight (5'4 and around 140 lb), but would like to be nearer 130lb and couldn't understand why given how much exercise I get. I had been eating overnight oats every work day breakfast for the last year and a half (1/2 cup porridge oats, 3/4 cup frozen berries, and enough milk to cover). Well, being a good MFP convert I weighed and logged everything in my breakfast the next time I made it. 500 sodding calories! It's not like it even kept me full until lunch! The world is a cruel, cruel place. I've swapped that for quaker instant oat packages made up with almond milk and 1 tsp agave, and have saved over 300 calories per breakfast <3

I have oats for breakfast. I weigh out 30g + berries and milk. It is more like 150cal. Are you sure it was that high?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    allyhbeal wrote: »
    I only started using MFP last week. I'm not overweight (5'4 and around 140 lb), but would like to be nearer 130lb and couldn't understand why given how much exercise I get. I had been eating overnight oats every work day breakfast for the last year and a half (1/2 cup porridge oats, 3/4 cup frozen berries, and enough milk to cover). Well, being a good MFP convert I weighed and logged everything in my breakfast the next time I made it. 500 sodding calories! It's not like it even kept me full until lunch! The world is a cruel, cruel place. I've swapped that for quaker instant oat packages made up with almond milk and 1 tsp agave, and have saved over 300 calories per breakfast <3

I have oats for breakfast. I weigh out 30g + berries and milk. It is more like 150cal. Are you sure it was that high?

Half a cup of oats is probably more like 78 grams. That would be 300 calories from the oats alone.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Eggs benedict with hash browns. 800+ calories. FML