Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Options

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Muffins. I used to love muffins.

For real! I had a muffin from Tim Hortons that was almost 500 calories. That was astounding.

even the muffins you buy in the store (Otis Spunkmeyer) - the calorie count is for HALF a muffin - I mean who easts just HALF a muffin! :)

Ran into this on a package of naan. I thought the calorie count was for one not half of one. So consuming 380 calories instead of 190! I was not a happy camper when I realized my "healthy" homemade pizza was way more calories than I thought.

I'm hoping the new US nutrition labels fix stuff like that. No reasonable person would expect the serving to be half of what's in the package. Ridiculous.

Some fruits used to astonish me with how many calories they have for the serving size - particularly bananas. I can easily eat a banana that's over 100 calories. I used to eat 2 or 3 of them, especially if they're nice and brown and sweetly delicious. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised at how few calories per serving berries are.

Bread was another one for me. I was never caught up in the "bread is bad" craze; it always seemed like a healthy thing to eat, especially if it was multi or wholegrain. Imagine my shock when I discovered that so many breads that I though were "healthy" are also 100+ calories per slice. Not saying they're not healthy, but that can easily be half of the calories I eat in a meal. I was very happy when I discovered Sara Lee Delightful. Now I can still eat a sandwich, but I can also pair that sandwich with fruit/veggies/chips for a decently sized meal.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Hard root beer. 350 calories/bottle. wtf

Hard root beer is a thing? Seriously? Be still my beating heart... <3<3<3

(We don't get it in the UK. This is DEVASTATING NEWS. How easy is it to find in the US? I will TOTALLY be saving calories for it next time I'm there...)

It's VERY easy to find... mostly because I'm in Texas and even grocery stores sell wine and beer. Not the case in all states, though.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    And burgers. Just plain old beef burgers on a roll blow the doors of my whole calorie day.

Yes! 80/20 beef is a b*tch on calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Yeah juice is definitely one, with the whole thing about people having a glass of orange juice with breakfast in about every single tv show or movie out there, lol. Juice is actually the only thing I basically cut out from my diet (I've had one glass in 4 years). Really annoys me that they suggest taking my iron pill with orange juice... NOT worth the calories at all.

And subway being 'the healthy choice'. lol.

Oh, wraps too. Just as many calories as a sandwich yet they always show as a healthier choice.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Veggie sides at some restaurants. 190 calories for a side of fresh veggies at Texas Roadhouse... WTF?

I think the green beens are the only item on their menu with fewer calories than the 6 oz steak.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Orlly?!
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

For real! I had a muffin from Tim Hortons that was almost 500 calories. That was astounding.

even the muffins you buy in the store (Otis Spunkmeyer) - the calorie count is for HALF a muffin - I mean who easts just HALF a muffin! :)

Ran into this on a package of naan. I thought the calorie count was for one not half of one. So consuming 380 calories instead of 190! I was not a happy camper when I realized my "healthy" homemade pizza was way more calories than I thought.

I'm hoping the new US nutrition labels fix stuff like that. No reasonable person would expect the serving to be half of what's in the package. Ridiculous.

Some fruits used to astonish me with how many calories they have for the serving size - particularly bananas. I can easily eat a banana that's over 100 calories. I used to eat 2 or 3 of them, especially if they're nice and brown and sweetly delicious. On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised at how few calories per serving berries are.

Bread was another one for me. I was never caught up in the "bread is bad" craze; it always seemed like a healthy thing to eat, especially if it was multi or wholegrain. Imagine my shock when I discovered that so many breads that I though were "healthy" are also 100+ calories per slice. Not saying they're not healthy, but that can easily be half of the calories I eat in a meal. I was very happy when I discovered Sara Lee Delightful. Now I can still eat a sandwich, but I can also pair that sandwich with fruit/veggies/chips for a decently sized meal.

I comprehend the naan more-so than the muffin. (The naan is typically served communally at a table with multiple people, and a lot of people really do just tear off a portion of a sheet of naan instead of eating a whole one.).
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

I comprehend the naan more-so than the muffin. (The naan is typically served communally at a table with multiple people, and a lot of people really do just tear off a portion of a sheet of naan instead of eating a whole one.).

I guess it depends on the size of the naan. If it's a large size that can feed more than one person, sure. If it's more a "personal" size, I'd expect the serving size to reflect that. Reasonable interpretation by the consumer should be kept in mind when creating serving sizes, not what looks best for the company's nutrition label.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    All salads at any restaurant - don't even look at them anymore.

What suprised me the most recently was Buffalo Wild Wings WHOLE menu. Recently they were required to put the calorie count on everything, which made it easier know what to avoid, but I had a hard time getting out of there under 500 calories.

My BF and I made a pact that we split meals at restaurants now - so we can have what we want and still not over eat. It's really surprising just HOW much food you get in 1 meal. Sometimes now, we don't even finish one.

I agree. They have so many good menu items, but they're way up there in calories. I won't let it be more than a once a month thing for me.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah juice is definitely one, with the whole thing about people having a glass of orange juice with breakfast in about every single tv show or movie out there, lol. Juice is actually the only thing I basically cut out from my diet (I've had one glass in 4 years). Really annoys me that they suggest taking my iron pill with orange juice... NOT worth the calories at all.

And subway being 'the healthy choice'. lol.

Oh, wraps too. Just as many calories as a sandwich yet they always show as a healthier choice.

Yes! This annoys me. Tortillas are NOT less calories than bread. A flour tortilla is 140+ calories, and that's just an 8". Now lettuce wraps... that's something I can get behind. If I'm looking to cut calories with a meal that involves a sandwich, burger, etc. I'm down for switching out the bread with lettuce. Leaves me room for something that fills me up more.

Growing up in California, I was baffled when I moved to the Midwest and learned that people thought eating stuff on a tortilla made it "healthier". I love me a good quesadilla, but there's really no difference between that and a grilled cheese sandwich.

ditto. I have no idea where people got the idea they were lower calorie. The tiny corn ones are pretty low calorie though - maybe the confusion came from there (as in once upon a time, they were healthier, and then more people started eating them, and then companies decided to make them softer & bigger - and now we have these giant dense flour monstrosities encasing "healthy" wraps?).