Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Replies

• MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    I didn't think it was healthy, but I was still amazed at the calories in "1 serving" of shrimp pasta I had the other night at a restaurant. 1600 calories. Not counting the garlic toast they served with it, or the drinks I didn't have (I just stick with water). That's an entire day's worth of calories.... more than that for some people.

Salads can be surprising sometimes though. Forgot to check calories on a dressing the other day before putting it on, and found out after that the 3 tbsp I used added up to 240 calories.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Since we are on alcohol now...wine. I never really thought much about having a couple two three glasses until I had to log them.

That part. Friends laugh at me now when I say I had 2 or 3 ozs of wine, but it works for me
  • OhMsDiva
    Thinking I should have a nice healthy bowl of oatmeal instead of bacon for breakfast HA

Mm, bacon. Though, a serving of good old-fashioned is only 150 calories. It's the additives that pile up the calories (much like any food though).

I buy center cut bacon. 2 slices for 50 calories. I love bacon
  • OhMsDiva
    aeloine wrote: »
    Rice and pasta.

A serving is so much smaller than I would want.

I cut both out for a couple of months and replaced with salads. Slowly integrating back into my diet, but BOY -- 1/4 of dry rice doesn't look satisfying AT ALL. I could eat a TUB of salad for the calories. But maybe I'm just a volume eater.

Same here. I just recently bought a bag of brown rice for the first time in 2 years. Pasta. I do not even bother. I do not want to weigh pasta and when I do that sad little serving makes me want to cry.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Texas Roadhouse 8 oz. salmon - just the fish is 690 calories. (They do some sort of herbed butter sauce on it, plus tartar sauce.) Add a potato (380-650) or sweet potato (350 - 770) and salad (230 + dressing) and bread (227 per roll) - and in one meal I can undo the calorie burn from my longest long run.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    7 calories?

Even if that's accurate, I would be worried about getting on the scale because it would mean leaving the toilet.
    Sigh. My joke went so far over your head, astronauts will have to retrieve it.

Or your joke crashed and burned so hard that FEMA has chosen to divert resources from hurricane relief just to deal with it.

To be honest, even now that I know it was a joke I still don't get it. Maybe it's because I steer clear of any cleanse-related thread?

I don't get it either haha
  • thegeans
    thegeans Posts: 42 Member
    I got a cauliflower "steak" at Mom's Organic recently. Come back to MFP and find it's 691 calories. Not "unhealthy," but a reminder that estimating calories is sometimes impossible!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Most of these high calorie meals have outrageous calorie counts because of added fat, typically in the form of cheese, sauce or dressings. You can cut so many calories on restaurant salads by omitting any croutons or tortilla strips and getting the dressing on the side. Dressing on the side allows you to have more control over what you consume and you can better estimate how much is eaten.

ETA: there is something fundamentally flawed about your calorie counting practices if you thought anything with 1/4 cup of dressing would ever be low calorie. Unless your balasmic is 100% vinegar, that's an enormous amount of calories. Personally, I don't like to eat a meal where 75-90% of the calories in the meal come from...dressing

Yes, that's what this post is about.

1/4 cup is what cooks on the line will put in for a salad when the dressing is not on the side. To them, it's just one ladle. Clearly, we know better than that now. In the past, salad seemed like the healthy choice but now we know it's packed chock full of bad things.

It's helpful to remember that vinaigrette has a ratio of 3 parts oil to 1 part acid. So if you have 1/4 cup, that's 4 tablespoons. 3 of 4 tablespoons is likely pure oil...so you're looking at roughly 360kcal from the oil in that dressing.

I hear some people make a vinaigrette that is 2/3 thick, aged balsamic and 1/3 oil. And that they carry it in their purse in a fine tip squeeze bottle and weigh it out to the gram. Of course, I would not know anyone like this.

Is that like reduced balsamic? I know you cook it down for caprese salad....
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Most of these high calorie meals have outrageous calorie counts because of added fat, typically in the form of cheese, sauce or dressings. You can cut so many calories on restaurant salads by omitting any croutons or tortilla strips and getting the dressing on the side. Dressing on the side allows you to have more control over what you consume and you can better estimate how much is eaten.

ETA: there is something fundamentally flawed about your calorie counting practices if you thought anything with 1/4 cup of dressing would ever be low calorie. Unless your balasmic is 100% vinegar, that's an enormous amount of calories. Personally, I don't like to eat a meal where 75-90% of the calories in the meal come from...dressing

Yes, that's what this post is about.

1/4 cup is what cooks on the line will put in for a salad when the dressing is not on the side. To them, it's just one ladle. Clearly, we know better than that now. In the past, salad seemed like the healthy choice but now we know it's packed chock full of bad things.

It's helpful to remember that vinaigrette has a ratio of 3 parts oil to 1 part acid. So if you have 1/4 cup, that's 4 tablespoons. 3 of 4 tablespoons is likely pure oil...so you're looking at roughly 360kcal from the oil in that dressing.

I hear some people make a vinaigrette that is 2/3 thick, aged balsamic and 1/3 oil. And that they carry it in their purse in a fine tip squeeze bottle and weigh it out to the gram. Of course, I would not know anyone like this.

Is that like reduced balsamic? I know you cook it down for caprese salad....

A high quality aged balsamic will be fairly viscous as far as vinegars go--the grape just is reduced, fermented, then aged for 12 or 18 years or so. So on a Caprese, you can use a fine balsamic out of the bottle, or if you just have a thinner balsamic, you can reduce it.