Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Options

Replies

• allyhbeal
    allyhbeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    allyhbeal wrote: »
    I only started using MFP last week. I'm not overweight (5'4 and around 140 lb), but would like to be nearer 130lb and couldn't understand why given how much exercise I get. I had been eating overnight oats every work day breakfast for the last year and a half (1/2 cup porridge oats, 3/4 cup frozen berries, and enough milk to cover). Well, being a good MFP convert I weighed and logged everything in my breakfast the next time I made it. 500 sodding calories! It's not like it even kept me full until lunch! The world is a cruel, cruel place. I've swapped that for quaker instant oat packages made up with almond milk and 1 tsp agave, and have saved over 300 calories per breakfast <3

I have oats for breakfast. I weigh out 30g + berries and milk. It is more like 150cal. Are you sure it was that high?

Unfortunately, yes :( 1/2 cup of oats: 344 calories, 200g frozen berries ~70 calories, 150 ml semi skimmed milk (that amount was just a guess) ~80 calories. I now just have the oat so simple sachets, which, when cooked, puff up to about the same volume as my sneaky overnight oats - it's all about quantity with me in the morning :)
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I don't watch much TV. Haven't seen any commercials. What I can say is that a six inch, double meat roasted chicken on 9 grain honey oat bread with all the veggies, mustard, and vinegar, baked BBQ Lays, and a diet coke or iced tea looks like this. Yummy, low cal, good macros.

cdv35q4zjl39.jpg

No dressing and no cheese so sad :( I get a footlong each time with two dressings+cheese ;) but no drink or crisps. Admittedly it's a rare thing.

There was a back lash here in the UK a little while ago due to halal meat in some take outs. We like to suck up to the soon to be masses and hate on the current masses.

Do don't have the amount of fast food places like the US does.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I only started using MFP last week. I'm not overweight (5'4 and around 140 lb), but would like to be nearer 130lb and couldn't understand why given how much exercise I get. I had been eating overnight oats every work day breakfast for the last year and a half (1/2 cup porridge oats, 3/4 cup frozen berries, and enough milk to cover). Well, being a good MFP convert I weighed and logged everything in my breakfast the next time I made it. 500 sodding calories! It's not like it even kept me full until lunch! The world is a cruel, cruel place. I've swapped that for quaker instant oat packages made up with almond milk and 1 tsp agave, and have saved over 300 calories per breakfast <3

I have oats for breakfast. I weigh out 30g + berries and milk. It is more like 150cal. Are you sure it was that high?

Unfortunately, yes :( 1/2 cup of oats: 344 calories, 200g frozen berries ~70 calories, 150 ml semi skimmed milk (that amount was just a guess) ~80 calories. I now just have the oat so simple sachets, which, when cooked, puff up to about the same volume as my sneaky overnight oats - it's all about quantity with me in the morning :)

How are you getting 1/2 cup of oats at 344 calories? Oats are usually 150 calories per 1/2 cup (~40g) uncooked.
  • allyhbeal
    allyhbeal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

500 calories sounds really high for the oatmeal. 1/2 cup (41g) of dry rolled oats is 150 calories. Even if you use a full cup of whole milk (150) calories, you'd still need 200 calories to come from the berries. That's really high. Are you adding sugar or using berries in sugar?

What's making you think that the oatmeal is 500 calories?

It wasn't rolled oats, but porridge oats, which I'm guessing are basically smushed up oats, and therefore have more surface area so you can get more of them (and more calories) in the half-cup measurement? I'm getting the calories directly from the MFP manual recipe thingy :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    By porridge oats, do you mean steel-cut oats? I eat those pretty frequently and you're right -- they're 150kcal for 1/4th cup, rather than 1/2 cup like rolled oats. Totally worth it, though.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    sportynad9 wrote: »
    There is a breakfast smoothie from Crussh (UK) that sounds and tastes amazing. It has banana, almond butter and a bit of honey in it and the other day I thought it would be a nice shake up to the usual porridge. They didn't have any calorie information in the shop, so I decided that it probably wouldn't be much more than my usual breakfast and bought it. I almost fell off my chair when I saw online that even the small one has about 1000 calories. And I was hungry again about 1,5 hours later :)

Oh man! I can imagine. I used to sometimes get a peanut butter banana protein smoothie from a local coffee shop for dinner. It was great. Some of my friends get it now as their beverage choice when we go out for coffee and I never say anything of course but inwardly I cringe just because they just ate dinner beforehand. It's not that I necessarily think they need to eat fewer calories or anything like that, but these are women who generally eat healthier and smallish portions and so forth and I just do not think they realize that the shop's calorie estimate is 700 on that smoothie...I don't know if they just don't look, or what. It is right there on the menu now, and these ladies are the same ones who will say something about watching their intake. I think some people view it as "it's all healthy, fruit and natural nut butter with protein powder so it's okay" but calorically...wow!

he he. It's a favorite amongst those bulking for a reason.
  • DX2JX2
    edited September 2017
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

500 calories sounds really high for the oatmeal. 1/2 cup (41g) of dry rolled oats is 150 calories. Even if you use a full cup of whole milk (150) calories, you'd still need 200 calories to come from the berries. That's really high. Are you adding sugar or using berries in sugar?

What's making you think that the oatmeal is 500 calories?

It wasn't rolled oats, but porridge oats, which I'm guessing are basically smushed up oats, and therefore have more surface area so you can get more of them (and more calories) in the half-cup measurement? I'm getting the calories directly from the MFP manual recipe thingy :)

Well, that sucks. Did you confuse the two in your serving size, or did you know you were eating two servings of oats?

Note that although a serving of steel cut oats is 1/4 and a serving of rolled oats is 1/2 cup, both weigh about 40g.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    aemw93 wrote: »
    My mum made homemade bannoffee pie the other day and obviously not thinking twice I ate half of it. She then proceeded to tell me that I'd just eaten my daily calorie allowance in one portion. 1900 calories in that delicious dessert!!! Still ate supper afterwards though :p

Easily done. I love Banoffee pie. Especially with cream or mascarpone.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Banana chips... one day I decided to dip banana chips in crunchy peanut butter lol. That was stupid.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos from McDonalds. I thought two was 308 calories, nope that's just one. They come in groups of two and now I have to throw one out the car window for the wildlife to enjoy. Don't worry, I unwrap it first. I'm not about littering. I just hope the local raccoon population enjoy it.

I've always felt like 2 of those was just too much at breakfast and one wasn't enough. Whether I was eating whatever the heck I wanted, or counting calories. It's frustrating!

Dump the eggs or half the eggs from the 2nd into the first tortilla?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Hummus.

Highly recommend subbing baba ganoush for hummus

Be careful. Some places make their baba "Creamy" with MAYONNAISE.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Hummus.

Yeah it's what I said earlier, lol.
  • DX2JX2
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Hummus.

Whether they use mayo or olive oil/tahini, baba ganoush is going to have more of a calorie load than you think it should either way. It's still delicious though.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Beer. I used to quick-add it as 100 calories per serving. I was only fooling myself... :'(

Muffins. I used to love muffins.

UK pints are close to 150-200 :( I don't do 'light' beer. A 4.2% 500ml ale is 204, a 5% 568ml (pint) is 295. Doesn't stop me though ;)

In my experience, they can, but most just don't care. I always order my veggies to be steamed with no added salt/oil/butter/seasoning and they always come out greasy and pre-seasoned. Doesn't matter where I go. I suppose that restaurant chefs just don't care.