Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Options

Replies

• melly19762003
    melly19762003 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Since we are on alcohol now...wine. I never really thought much about having a couple two three glasses until I had to log them.

I take the opposite view - a whole bottle of wine for 600 calories? Yes please!

Me too! 600 calories and antioxidants and probiotics plus other micronutrients. win, win, win, win, wine.

Me three, and if you buy a bottle of limetree wine from co-op it's only 500 calories per bottle. It's also 13.5% and good for you heart, LOL.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I don't watch much TV. Haven't seen any commercials. What I can say is that a six inch, double meat roasted chicken on 9 grain honey oat bread with all the veggies, mustard, and vinegar, baked BBQ Lays, and a diet coke or iced tea looks like this. Yummy, low cal, good macros.

cdv35q4zjl39.jpg

Is this P/F/C?
    (My macros show as C/F/P which made me think you found chips that had 24g of protein per bag...?! :# )

Yes.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I feel like cereal in general is always really high. I can eat like 3 or 4 servings in a typical bowl lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Most restaurant steak meals... even if I choose to swap the fries for baked potato and have veggies, the steak comes with garlic butter and the veggies always seem to have butter or cream etc. For example, I am on one of my visits to my mother in London ... she always takes me out for dinners. I chose minute steak with gratin potatoes, creamed spinach and glazed carrots. I estimated that meal to be around 1100 calories.

I don't eat out that often so when I do, I have the meal as it comes, but still disappointing that something that should be fairly reasonable in calories adds up to 1000 +.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    Most restaurant steak meals... even if I choose to swap the fries for baked potato and have veggies, the steak comes with garlic butter and the veggies always seem to have butter or cream etc. For example, I am on one of my visits to my mother in London ... she always takes me out for dinners. I chose minute steak with gratin potatoes, creamed spinach and glazed carrots. I estimated that meal to be around 1100 calories.

I don't eat out that often so when I do, I have the meal as it comes, but still disappointing that something that should be fairly reasonable in calories adds up to 1000 +.

Good point. Uno's has grilled chicken breast that has more calories (570) than the chicken stuffed with veggies and cheese (340). Boggles my mind a little bit, as they don't even mention oil or butter in the description.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Good point. Uno's has grilled chicken breast that has more calories (570) than the chicken stuffed with veggies and cheese (340). Boggles my mind a little bit, as they don't even mention oil or butter in the description.

Wow, that makes no sense at all given the calories in cheese. I tend to avoid chicken when I eat out as I have it 6 nights a week at home, lol.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Chipotle. I get a chicken burrito with rice, beans, lettuce, cheese, pico, and corn salsa no sour cream or guacamole and it's over 900 calories!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Yeah juice is definitely one, with the whole thing about people having a glass of orange juice with breakfast in about every single tv show or movie out there, lol. Juice is actually the only thing I basically cut out from my diet (I've had one glass in 4 years). Really annoys me that they suggest taking my iron pill with orange juice... NOT worth the calories at all.

And subway being 'the healthy choice'. lol.

Oh, wraps too. Just as many calories as a sandwich yet they always show as a healthier choice.

Yes! This annoys me. Tortillas are NOT less calories than bread. A flour tortilla is 140+ calories, and that's just an 8". Now lettuce wraps... that's something I can get behind. If I'm looking to cut calories with a meal that involves a sandwich, burger, etc. I'm down for switching out the bread with lettuce. Leaves me room for something that fills me up more.

Depends on the tortilla. Depends on the bread. I picked up a pack of Olé whole wheat tortillas this past weekend, and one is 70-80 cal. Similarly high in fiber compared to the whole wheat bread I usually get, and higher (for the calories) in protein.
  • aemw93
    aemw93 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My mum made homemade bannoffee pie the other day and obviously not thinking twice I ate half of it. She then proceeded to tell me that I'd just eaten my daily calorie allowance in one portion. 1900 calories in that delicious dessert!!! Still ate supper afterwards though :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Yeah juice is definitely one, with the whole thing about people having a glass of orange juice with breakfast in about every single tv show or movie out there, lol. Juice is actually the only thing I basically cut out from my diet (I've had one glass in 4 years). Really annoys me that they suggest taking my iron pill with orange juice... NOT worth the calories at all.

And subway being 'the healthy choice'. lol.

Oh, wraps too. Just as many calories as a sandwich yet they always show as a healthier choice.

Yes! This annoys me. Tortillas are NOT less calories than bread. A flour tortilla is 140+ calories, and that's just an 8". Now lettuce wraps... that's something I can get behind. If I'm looking to cut calories with a meal that involves a sandwich, burger, etc. I'm down for switching out the bread with lettuce. Leaves me room for something that fills me up more.

Depends on the tortilla. Depends on the bread. I picked up a pack of Olé whole wheat tortillas this past weekend, and one is 70-80 cal. Similarly high in fiber compared to the whole wheat bread I usually get, and higher (for the calories) in protein.

Yes but I highly doubt that it's the kind of tortillas that restaurants use.
    Muffins make me sad, always so high calorie. Not much surprises me after 4 years of MFP though, but...

I had a co-worker who decided to go "low calorie" and "eat healthy." She decided the best way to do this was to look for better lunch options while at work... I watched her do this pretty much every lunch for months. She would buy the "healthy" option burger with a GF bun from a local chain, eat half of a large fries, add a small coke and then top it off with a large frozen yoghurt with toppings "but it's low fat!"

Just for fun, I worked out her calories for lunch one day, with information readily available from where she purchased. I wouldn't have, except she kept telling me (after losing almost half my body weight) that I should go "lower calorie and eat healthy like her." Over 2500 calories in the total meal and 75 grams of sugar just in the Fro-Yo. And she ate this every day. She also wouldn't budge from her stance that I should eat like her, not that I ever asked for her opinion. She refused to believe the figures. One day, she's going to get a big shock. Fro-yo in particular isn't necessarily healthy or low calorie, despite being low fat, and you can't just eat as much of it as you like without consequence.

Frozen yogurt is definitely right there too. Same calories as ice cream most of the time.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I tend to be upset anytime I discover a new "healthy" food that isn't that good calorie wise lol

Discovered I love Avocados, but can rarely fit them into my calories :(

In terms of genuine disappointment, I ordered one of those low calorie pizzas from pizza express (UK) and it's just a thin crust pizza that they've cut a hole out of! Worse still, they filled the hole with rocket (arugula) which I cannot stand! Very sad me that day!
  • sportynad9
    sportynad9 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is a breakfast smoothie from Crussh (UK) that sounds and tastes amazing. It has banana, almond butter and a bit of honey in it and the other day I thought it would be a nice shake up to the usual porridge. They didn't have any calorie information in the shop, so I decided that it probably wouldn't be much more than my usual breakfast and bought it. I almost fell off my chair when I saw online that even the small one has about 1000 calories. And I was hungry again about 1,5 hours later :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    sportynad9 wrote: »
    There is a breakfast smoothie from Crussh (UK) that sounds and tastes amazing. It has banana, almond butter and a bit of honey in it and the other day I thought it would be a nice shake up to the usual porridge. They didn't have any calorie information in the shop, so I decided that it probably wouldn't be much more than my usual breakfast and bought it. I almost fell off my chair when I saw online that even the small one has about 1000 calories. And I was hungry again about 1,5 hours later :)

Oh man! I can imagine. I used to sometimes get a peanut butter banana protein smoothie from a local coffee shop for dinner. It was great. Some of my friends get it now as their beverage choice when we go out for coffee and I never say anything of course but inwardly I cringe just because they just ate dinner beforehand. It's not that I necessarily think they need to eat fewer calories or anything like that, but these are women who generally eat healthier and smallish portions and so forth and I just do not think they realize that the shop's calorie estimate is 700 on that smoothie...I don't know if they just don't look, or what. It is right there on the menu now, and these ladies are the same ones who will say something about watching their intake. I think some people view it as "it's all healthy, fruit and natural nut butter with protein powder so it's okay" but calorically...wow!
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not a meal... but olive oil. We almost never use oil, so I never bothered checking.

I thought I could throw a salad together this morning before work, but found out we were out of lettuce when I went to make it. No problem, I have those little 200 calorie things of raviolis. So I grabbed the cauliflower rice I just got to supplement it, and threw it in a pan to cook quickly as I had 10 minutes to spare. Threw a little olive oil and spices in before checking the calories. 120 per tbsp. I thought it would be 45 or 60 tops. I made 30 calories into 150 *Sigh*
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Pretty much everything in a restaurant. Eating out is much less fun in places that put the calories on the menu...but better than being surprised I guess.

Had breakfast out at a Perkins. I know breakfast is always high unless you get egg beaters and turkey sausage or something equally boring...but the hash browns! They were twice the calories of the "breakfast potatoes", which are essentially the same thing, only cut in big squares instead of shredded. How the heck they're so much more, I have no idea.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Are they not willing to swap out all the veggies slathered in butter, cheese, cream, and sugar for simply steamed, sauteed, or roasted veggies? If those were my only options, I would have two of the veggies boxed immediately and fit them in later in the week.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Beer. I used to quick-add it as 100 calories per serving. I was only fooling myself... :'(

Muffins. I used to love muffins.

UK pints are close to 150-200 :( I don't do 'light' beer. A 4.2% 500ml ale is 204, a 5% 568ml (pint) is 295. Doesn't stop me though ;)

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    Hard root beer. 350 calories/bottle. wtf

Hard root beer is a thing? Seriously? Be still my beating heart... <3<3<3

(We don't get it in the UK. This is DEVASTATING NEWS. How easy is it to find in the US? I will TOTALLY be saving calories for it next time I'm there...)

We get a UK version of root beer but it's nothing like the real thing.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Pretty much everything in a restaurant. Eating out is much less fun in places that put the calories on the menu...but better than being surprised I guess.

Had breakfast out at a Perkins. I know breakfast is always high unless you get egg beaters and turkey sausage or something equally boring...but the hash browns! They were twice the calories of the "breakfast potatoes", which are essentially the same thing, only cut in big squares instead of shredded. How the heck they're so much more, I have no idea.

I'm guessing that the shredded hash browns have more surface area to capture cooking oil, or you actually get more potatoes in the hash browns since the chunked home fries have less potato per area of plate, all else equal.