Post 'em here. All those disappointing meals you thought were healthy but are really high calorie

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Every dinner salad I ever ordered at a restaurant
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Breakfast burritos from McDonalds. I thought two was 308 calories, nope that's just one. They come in groups of two and now I have to throw one out the car window for the wildlife to enjoy. Don't worry, I unwrap it first. I'm not about littering. I just hope the local raccoon population enjoy it.

I've always felt like 2 of those was just too much at breakfast and one wasn't enough. Whether I was eating whatever the heck I wanted, or counting calories. It's frustrating!
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    I was going to try something healthy and go for an Asian Chicken Salad. Based on the description, I never would have guessed it had almost 1200 calories in it!! (Asian noodles, mixed field greens, snap peas, carrots, bean sprouts, red peppers, and mango salsa tossed in a light Asian sesame vinaigrette, topped with sweet chili-glazed battered chicken, crispy wontons, cashews and blackened sesame seeds).
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Nandos chicken, 600cals really? It's a piece of chicken man.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited September 2017
    LilacSnow wrote: »
    I was going to try something healthy and go for an Asian Chicken Salad. Based on the description, I never would have guessed it had almost 1200 calories in it!! (Asian noodles, mixed field greens, snap peas, carrots, bean sprouts, red peppers, and mango salsa tossed in a light Asian sesame vinaigrette, topped with sweet chili-glazed battered chicken, crispy wontons, cashews and blackened sesame seeds).

IKR? Half the time the salads are the worst thing on menus!

(Bold for the words that ring calorie-bells in my head!)
  • rsamuelsgold
    rsamuelsgold Posts: 391 Member
    Muesli.....25g is sadness in a bowl
    So true
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    cs2thecox wrote: »

And the noodles, lol. Don't forget the noodles.

You do have to think about it though... dressings have calories, anything battered/fried will have a bunch of calories, anything bready will have calories, nuts and cheese will have calories...

I very rarely order salads because they always add calorie bombs I don't care for (but without them you end up overpaying for just grilled meat and lettuce).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    cs2thecox wrote: »

And the noodles, lol. Don't forget the noodles.

You do have to think about it though... dressings have calories, anything battered/fried will have a bunch of calories, anything bready will have calories, nuts and cheese will have calories...

I very rarely order salads because they always add calorie bombs I don't care for (but without them you end up overpaying for just grilled meat and lettuce).

Anytime anything fried or sweet enters the picture in a restaurant salad, it's safe to take any notion of 'low cal' off the table. The only really safe salad bet without knowing the specific ingredients first hand is a plain green salad with dressing on the side!
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    The hot chocolate from Starbucks 165 in the small size ... without the cream
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Breakfast burritos from McDonalds. I thought two was 308 calories, nope that's just one. They come in groups of two and now I have to throw one out the car window for the wildlife to enjoy. Don't worry, I unwrap it first. I'm not about littering. I just hope the local raccoon population enjoy it.

As it turns out, I've only ever ordered those on my way to early morning rafting trips, so I welcomed the 600 calories (the goal was a LOT of calories I could quickly grab and consume in the car without deviating from my driving route).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I dont have TV whats the commercials like :o ? @Tacklewasher
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2017
    I don't get all the Subway hate.

Speaking only for myself, their commercials are stupid and an insult to peoples intelligence. So I don't eat at Subway as a result.

I don't watch much TV. Haven't seen any commercials. What I can say is that a six inch, double meat roasted chicken on 9 grain honey oat bread with all the veggies, mustard, and vinegar, baked BBQ Lays, and a diet coke or iced tea looks like this. Yummy, low cal, good macros.

cdv35q4zjl39.jpg
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »
    olive1968 wrote: »
    Since we are on alcohol now...wine. I never really thought much about having a couple two three glasses until I had to log them.

and how little five ounces fills the glass.

My MIL uses those huge red wine glasses - the ones you are supposed to put like an inch in - and fills them up. Says “its only one glass of wine - it can't be that much“. Never mind a whole bottle only does two glasses. Lol

Makes me laugh thinking of Stephen Colbert's midnight confessions: my doctor said I could only have one glass of wine... we'll the bottle is made of glass, right? (taking the bottle to his mouth)