Is it necessarily bad to have running as your sole source of exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Completely going off on a tangent, but just interested in what woo means (it wasn't me pressing it) but to me (UK if that makes a diff) woo means great, very happy, more than just "like". Does it have a different meaning in US??! Always been confused why there's an awesome AND a woo which to me mean we thing. Well that's my stupid question of the day out the way, back to topic!! Mx

@Bluebell2325

I'm in the UK too and would interpret woo as "what a load of cobblers".
    Woo-hoo I would see as encouragement or happy / over-excited.
    :)

As for the only running aspect. I'm a cyclist rather than a runner and tend to do strength training for the vast majority of the time in addition to my riding. But in the run up to a big cycling event I may well prioritise my cycling to the exclusion of strength training for a few weeks to help my training recovery.

I don't see solely running as "bad" but would say sub-optimal for most people. Still a lot better than sofa surfing whichever way you look at it.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    woo = BS, nonsense, quackery, codswallop, balderdash

On MFP, it's used as a response to unsubstantiated claims.

To the OP - I agree with what's been said above. Only running for exercise isn't necessarily a bad thing, but as others have mentioned, cross training will compliment your running and help with injury prevention. Personally, I was running with very little strength training while training for a 10k over a year ago. I ended up with ITBS and couldn't run for the better part of a month, which was miserable. Now I do regular strength training with a focus on hips/glutes once a week in addition to other cross-training (more often if the side of my knee is twinging).
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I only run and walk and have for a year. I occasionally do body weight training or intervals but I just don't really like them. The best exercise is the one you do.

^^^This. I've lost weight and maintained weight (aside from pregnancy) for the last 6 years from ONLY running, with some yoga here and there, because it's what I enjoy and I'm happy with the results from it. So so so many people stick to one kind of work out because it's the one they'll do. Which is totally okay. It all depends on your goals. I've recently started incorporating bodyweight training into my regimen because my goals have changed, but if you only want to run and you are proactive about preventing injuries and maintaining your health while running, then I think you're fine with just running while you're training, and in the foreseeable future.
  • BigNorthernBear
    BigNorthernBear Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Running gets so much BS bad press its shocking. If you enjoy it, do it, eventually you will want to supplement in order to improve faster or just to change things up. "bad" is relative to what you want to achieve.