Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hunger on college campuses: it's a real thing

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You don't have to care about a problem if you can assume it's the person's fault. Anybody who is hungry must be spending their money on things they shouldn't have.

No one cares more than those spending the money of others.

If only caring was a commodity...but alas...that real world and alternative solutions. Much better to believe that one side has a monopoly on caring.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    From the article:

"An 18-year-old patient of mine recently started college. After overcoming many hurdles in life, including the death of one parent and the absence of the other, this outstanding athlete and student was recruited by a coach at a four-year university—and given a full scholarship. But I’m worried: will my patient have food insecurity"

The writer should not worry.

From the NCAA website:

Full scholarships cover tuition and fees, room, board and course-related books

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

Are there college students that are hungry? I'm sure there are. However the author lost all credibility talking about a full scholarship athlete and food insecurity.

Most sports do not offer all athletes full scholarships, even in D1. And a full scholarship in D3 is rare. When I've worked D1 doing compliance: football (American), men's and women's basketball are the full coverage sports. The rest of the teams often don't have the budget to fully cover their teams. They may cover tuition, but room and board are usually partial. And student athletes will be really hard pressed to find a job with hours they can work outside of class and practice.

I had a kid that was getting some athletic scholarship offers so I understand about partial scholarships. However, the article went out of its way to specify FULL scholarships which do cover room and board.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I went to a 4 year college my first 2 years, we got 2 meals during the week, and one on the weekends. I lost 15 lbs because of all of the walking from class to class. Then I transferred to a 2 year college, that didn't have a meal plan. I lived in the one small dorm, and we were given a small dorm fridge - we had to buy our own food. I remember having 10 bucks a week most times to buy food with. I lived on Ramen noodles and Kraft Mac and Cheese. My parents were broke at the time and couldn't contribute much either. I couldn't go out and party - couldn't afford it. I also couldn't have a part time job because I'm physically disabled and couldn't be a waitress or work on my feet. So there are some who do really struggle. But it's also a part of college.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think its just part of being a student you have a minimal income but a lot of expenses . Especially if you do not have rich parents and live in a country that Does not have a good scholarship program. I know a lot of students which would fall under this its not that there is a risk of actually starving but there is not much room for extras like going out. I lived on instant noodle n getting stuff from local farmer markets they offer a good price just before closing on Saturday afternoon even lower than the supermarket.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Mark Twain told us there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. Now we see why.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think growing up is going through times of insecurity about food and housing, and other things. I bet kids who don't go to college are food insecure around that age too. We can help alleviate some of it -there a lot of events on campus which have food- however we are also trying to teach students responsibility, and sometimes that means going hungry because you spent too much elsewhere, or just because you really don't have the means. But the way I see it, we all have to learn how to budget and control our money at some point. Sometimes we have to sacrifice comfort for that education. College isn't just about what you learn in the classroom.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    One of my fellow students last term literally lives in a van. My girlfriend in freshman year was homeless. Of course college students can have trouble with affording the ammenities, and it's barely comparable to when some of you in this thread went to college. But the article, meh, this isn't happening as much with kids with full scholarships.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    This crossed my mind and was actually mentioned by a neurologist (can't remember his name). But because of all the "multitasking" that everyone is trying to do, our brains become "overloaded" in thinking. Now because that takes energy and carbs are the easiest source of energy for many, carbs are taken in a much higher volume than the other macros. So I wouldn't be surprised that many people who spend a lot of time studying, end up eating consistently. Now mind you this may just be correlation, but I'll try to find the neurologist who wrote about this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm all over the place when it comes to this topic and I fully admit it.

I've become pretty annoyed with the general attitude of people around me that when you're in college, whether you are 18, 25, or 46, you are exempt from all or most normal life responsibilities. I think that's a crock. I also think it's ridiculous that almost every twentysomething I know lives at home with their parents for 4-5 years (or longer) post-college even when they have jobs, because I feel like it builds character to start your independent adult life when you are young and struggling is part of that.

But on the other hand, I know things are really different now than they were in the 80s and 90s, and I think it is important to note just HOW different. When I was in college during 1995-2000, my (state school) tuition was around $2,000 per semester. Now at the same university it's $6,800. I earned between $6-8 per hour at my cashier, clerk & entry level social services jobs and I worked full-time so I was able to pay for a low cost apartment, gas, insurance, groceries, and cover my books & tuition that my small scholarship didn't cover (when I say "small scholarship" I mean it...roughly 20% of my tuition). Right now in my small Midwestern city, entry level jobs pay $8-10. $12 if you're really lucky. Just quickly running those numbers, it is clear to me that it's not the same ballgame for college students today. My first apartment was $360/month and there is literally nothing here for that now. My city has one of the lowest cost-of-living in the U.S. too. It's just not the same world as it was in 1989 or 1999 or even 2009. So when some of us look back to our college days it's not really fair to compare apples to oranges.

BUT that's also why I roll my eyes when I know 27 year old college graduates making a very nice salary who live with their moms and can't imagine ever having to rent, or drive a used car, or not have cable AND Hulu AND Netflix...and so on and so on forever.