Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Hunger on college campuses: it's a real thing

Replies

• Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    While we're sharing anecdotal evidence; The school I teach at has an unusually large number of 1st generation and below the poverty line students, but I haven't heard much about students going hungry. We have issues, but that isn't one of them.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    These always turn into a "how I had it worse and did just fine" thread about "back in my day..."

That's because someone who didn't have it worse and did just fine is disinclined to participate.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    If you have a full ride scholarship but can't figure out how to get food, then maybe college isn't for you.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Since I finished college (less than a decade), the tuition at my alma mater has gone up $10k. Since 2000, tuition has more than doubled. This is way faster than inflation. Many scholarships do not cover a meal plan.

Enough hating on millennials. Our world is different; job security lower, stagnant wages, and the cost of an education is a massive burden for many. Millennial poverty is also a huge issue with many causes; we have to address the causes but meanwhile yeah there are students who do skip meals and go hungry in order to make ends meet. I can't judge, my parents were able to pay for my education and cost of living. Good for me. That's not everyone's story.

Whatever you feel about youth culture and young people and us "entitled" millennials, we are getting squeezed more than previous generations. And anyone who suggests skipping out on college: you try and get a job without a bachelors. Degrees are markers of class as much as they are of skill, it buys access that pays off in the long run.

People kill themselves over student debt too. The student loan system is broken. And if you think you're guaranteed a job when you graduate but that rug is pulled out from under you, then it's your problem? We can't financially plan with so much uncertainty.

So yeah even though I was/am fine, have no loans, this isn't the story for many of my peers. Stop hating on poor people.

not all college students are Millenials btw...just saying. Not all College students suffer from hunger...and not all that do are millenials. I know lots of adults finally getting to college and bam hungry.

and FYI you aren't getting squeezed any more than Generation X did...just differently. This coming from a woman who has a son who is 23 and I see what is going on.

For example like you we paid for his college...he is a welder...great trade to be in up here...but he can't get an apprenticeship in his home province and has gone from Welding job to welding job...finally giving up on it and is going back to school to get a different trade on his own dime. We are helping as he can live with us and save up tuition etc.

But guess what my brother who is over 2x my sons age the above is his exact story...except my parents couldn't pay for his college or help in any way as they had 6 other kids...but he got his trade, went hungry (be we did as kids anyway) couldn't get a job in his trade...tried finally went to another type of work.

so tell me again how you are all getting squeezed harder?
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Since I finished college (less than a decade), the tuition at my alma mater has gone up $10k. Since 2000, tuition has more than doubled. This is way faster than inflation. Many scholarships do not cover a meal plan.

Enough hating on millennials. Our world is different; job security lower, stagnant wages, and the cost of an education is a massive burden for many. Millennial poverty is also a huge issue with many causes; we have to address the causes but meanwhile yeah there are students who do skip meals and go hungry in order to make ends meet. I can't judge, my parents were able to pay for my education and cost of living. Good for me. That's not everyone's story.

Whatever you feel about youth culture and young people and us "entitled" millennials, we are getting squeezed more than previous generations. And anyone who suggests skipping out on college: you try and get a job without a bachelors. Degrees are markers of class as much as they are of skill, it buys access that pays off in the long run.

People kill themselves over student debt too. The student loan system is broken. And if you think you're guaranteed a job when you graduate but that rug is pulled out from under you, then it's your problem? We can't financially plan with so much uncertainty.

So yeah even though I was/am fine, have no loans, this isn't the story for many of my peers. Stop hating on poor people.

FYI you aren't getting squeezed any more than Generation X did...just differently

Well said! Gen X faced all those same things...worst job market since WWII, stagnating wages which have decreased in real terms to below 1970 levels, high student loan interest rates (8.5%), High tuition, need for a degree for entry level jobs. Plus....just when we were finally able to get on the property market in early 2000s, it has to go and crash to one third its value....wiping out our equity, our 401(k) retirements and putting us all in even more debt. At least millenials came of age during a bull market where if they bought a cheap house after the crash, they've seen it triple in value unlike Gen X. But then Gen X is the forgotten, baby bust generation, there are very few of us.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited September 2017
    Macy9336 wrote: »

FYI you aren't getting squeezed any more than Generation X did...just differently

Well said! Gen X faced all those same things...worst job market since WWII, stagnating wages which have decreased in real terms to below 1970 levels, high student loan interest rates (8.5%), High tuition, need for a degree for entry level jobs. Plus....just when we were finally able to get on the property market in early 2000s, it has to go and crash to one third its value....wiping out our equity, our 401(k) retirements and putting us all in even more debt. At least millenials came of age during a bull market where if they bought a cheap house after the crash, they've seen it triple in value unlike Gen X. But then Gen X is the forgotten, baby bust generation, there are very few of us.

Of COURSE previous generations struggled. And maybe we're not any worse off than other generations. But advice from previous generations on how to get ahead no longer always applies; again, our world is different. Gen X/boomers faced things like the Madoff scam and the housing crash, the tech bubble bursting. But now every article seems to be hating on what millennials are ruining. Bank accounts, diamonds, television, malls... We're the WORST! And yeah I know agism works in both directions (my mom was unemployed in tech at age 68 and job searching was super *kitten* for her)... our society gives us fewer opportunities than ever for people of all ages to interact. But I digress.

My point is people who don't think that college students (of any age) can be making a practical decision while also being in such abject poverty to get there that they do in fact experience food insecurity, are making blanket statements about others' experiences of which they know nothing about. I understand the objection to the weak example in the original article; it just makes no sense to extrapolate this to all college students. The original article also cites statistics on the disparity of the racial and socioeconomic makeup of students with food insecurity; saying that those students shouldn't go to college if they can't afford it ignores that it's a huge stepping stone to getting ahead. We can't know their challenges. And the students gaining the freshman 15 are NOT the same ones who are going hungry.

YOu are correct and we face the same thing from previous generations.

However I say this again...if you are hungry in college you were hungry before college because those who are not hungry before college probably can go back to the parents/family and get help...(not 100% but most of them)

Hunger insecurity isn't created over a short period of time...it is ingrained due to previous life experiences and those who are experiencing hunger insecurity probably went hungry as a child/teenager due to poverty but don't get to bent out of shape over it because it is what it is...and they are "used" to it.

My thing is this...if you are not buying food to pay rent...go to a food bank or soup kitchen....don't be too prideful.

ETA: I say this because I was poor growing up and food well...yah we went hungry and I will make sure my son doesn't ever know what it's like....ever if I can help it.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Macy9336 wrote: »

Of COURSE previous generations struggled. And maybe we're not any worse off than other generations. But advice from previous generations on how to get ahead no longer always applies; again, our world is different. Gen X/boomers faced things like the Madoff scam and the housing crash, the tech bubble bursting. But now every article seems to be hating on what millennials are ruining. Bank accounts, diamonds, television, malls... We're the WORST! And yeah I know agism works in both directions (my mom was unemployed in tech at age 68 and job searching was super *kitten* for her)... our society gives us fewer opportunities than ever for people of all ages to interact. But I digress.

My point is people who don't think that college students (of any age) can be making a practical decision while also being in such abject poverty to get there that they do in fact experience food insecurity, are making blanket statements about others' experiences of which they know nothing about. I understand the objection to the weak example in the original article; it just makes no sense to extrapolate this to all college students. The original article also cites statistics on the disparity of the racial and socioeconomic makeup of students with food insecurity; saying that those students shouldn't go to college if they can't afford it ignores that it's a huge stepping stone to getting ahead. We can't know their challenges. And the students gaining the freshman 15 are NOT the same ones who are going hungry.

YOu are correct and we face the same thing from previous generations.

However I say this again...if you are hungry in college you were hungry before college because those who are not hungry before college probably can go back to the parents/family and get help...

My thing is this...if you are not buying food to pay rent...go to a food bank or soup kitchen....don't be too prideful..

I agree with you as I grew up pretty hungry. Only thing I'd say is that during the times I was in poverty as a young independent teen not living at "home", I could not get to a food bank ( no money for transportation) and was turned away by a soup kitchen as I was not "officially" homeless. So just wanted to say it's not always possible to get food. If it were always possible then people wouldn't need to dumpster dive.