1cup of fruit= all m sugar for the day??

Options
124»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    descene wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I know I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate here - but again, you are looking at things in isolation and trying to make everything into a black or white situation with these strawman examples. Why can't McDonalds be part of a balanced diet? There are a wide range of menu options at McDonalds, and whether you choose a salad, or a McDouble (two things I tend to get when I do go with my kids on the weekends occasionally), either can be part of an overall balanced diet. In fact, if the choice is 500 cals of raw veggies or a McDouble and a side salad, the second would be the healthier choice (balance of macro nutrients, etc).

Many people find success sticking with their "diet" if they aren't too restrictive in their approach. For a lot of people, thinking they could never eat McDonalds again, or have a cupcake at a birthday party, means they wouldn't stick to their diet at all. That's what people are trying to explain to you - it's about balance and not labeling foods as good or bad and looking at them in isolation.

I don't know about you, but whenever I get McDonalds no matter what I choose on their menu, I'm starving only a few hours after I eat it. I can have it if I want, but because of that I simply don't choose it often. I want something that I enjoy but will fill me up on fewer calories. Usually for fast food I want something more like mexican or chinese because I'm full all evening after those off fewer average calories. It was really helpful to me when I finally gained this insight that I can make that choice and helped me feel more content off my steadily-shrinking calorie budget. If others might benefit similarly, they should try it. I've seen a lot more posts about being hungry after eating daily calories than the opposite which is my problem, and one way to change that is the types of food you're eating. db121215 never said anything wasn't part of a balanced diet, just that you might be able to stick to your diet better if it leans more balanced than indulging, which is very true in my experience.

No, that's not my particular experience, that I would be hungry again a few hours later, but I know others have said they experience similar with fast food. I agree with you that a person needs to figure out what is most satiating for them, especially when eating at a calorie deficit. My standard advice is to set a reasonable calorie goal for your desired rate of loss, eat a variety of foods within that calorie target that provide nutrition (macro and micro nutrients), satiety, and enjoyment. If people enjoy McDonalds, or eating a cupcake, and can fit those foods into the context of an overall balanced diet, then neither of those foods is bad or unhealthy. That's the point I was taking issue with, when @db121215 first brought in the labels of unhealthy food, good/bad sugar, and the comparison of "x cals of a balanced diet vs x cals of McDonalds". That to me again suggests that she thinks McDonalds bad, other things good - which I don't find to be a particularly healthy mindset about food. That's why I asked if, similar to the cupcake discussion, why raise extreme examples and continue to look at these choices in isolation?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Someone up-thread is trying to suggest that the type of sugar matters (fructose, glucose, etc. etc. etc.). Fructose has been made out to be the baddie thanks to the fairly solid internet campaign against HFCS. I say internet campaign because my google search was PAINFUL. I had to wade past mercola, livestrong, wholelife, paleodiet, and nofructose.com. But of course, fruit is LOADED with fructose. So is honey. It's not that biggie a deal, really.
    ahdhimemheb9.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    I typically try to use entries for raw foods that have the little green check mark. I *think* it means that they've been verified.

Unfortunately, the green check marks are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    db121215 wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I've already agreed that equal sugar is equal sugar. The debate here is that eatting a cupcake is equally as nutritional as eating the same sugars of fruit. Balance is required.

Perhaps you missed the word "potentially" in @deannalfisher 's post? If pretty much all a person was eating was fruit, then the fat and protein in the cupcake could be important in the context of the overall diet. Of course one could choose other sources of those macros, but I believe the point is that a cupcake isn't "bad for you" (barring allergies).

No one is suggesting that anybody eat only fruit or only cupcakes. Like you said, balance is required.

Eating a half a stick of butter could potentially be more beneficial if you are low in fat consumption that day as well.. We can give potentials all day long.

Right, that's the whole point. Not everyone's diet is the same, so telling people to not eat a cupcake, and only eat fruit doesn't work because you don't have the context of their diet. Not saying that is what you are doing, but you are close to doing that.

How many times do I have to say a damn cupcake won't kill anyone?

You do realize the whole cupcake will kill you thing, is a joke right? It's an exaggeration of people's thoughts on certain types of food.