13»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    aeloine wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

I was coming in here to post this very same sentiment.

Fruit is a whole, natural food packed full of nutrients. Enjoy it as part of a balanced diet.

Edit: We're coming into apple season people! I know apples are boring to a lot of people, but seriously, a chilled in season Honeycrisp is a treat.

It's already apple season here and it's been a good year. I canned so much apple butter and apple-pumpkin butter (also pumpkin season). And a few pints of applesauce for the grandkids (I can't stand it).

What even is apple butter and why has it been missing from my life???

That's the saddest thing I've read on here in a long time, Aeloine. :(

Yeah, but think of it this way: pretty soon she's probably going to try apple butter for the first time. She has this amazing experience in front of her!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    It's a sad world in which we live when this is legitimately asked because of widespread misinformation.

Fruit is a whole, natural food packed full of nutrients. Enjoy it as part of a balanced diet.

Edit: We're coming into apple season people! I know apples are boring to a lot of people, but seriously, a chilled in season Honeycrisp is a treat.

It's already apple season here and it's been a good year. I canned so much apple butter and apple-pumpkin butter (also pumpkin season). And a few pints of applesauce for the grandkids (I can't stand it).

That's the saddest thing I've read on here in a long time, Aeloine. :(

Yeah, but think of it this way: pretty soon she's probably going to try apple butter for the first time. She has this amazing experience in front of her!

Nice way to look at it. I think I'll scour the recipe forum for something I've never heard of. I need some new experiences food wise. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Apple butter is basically applesauce that has been cooked down to where it is the consistency of jam. Usually it is sweetened a little and cinnamon added, but that depends on the cook.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    *kitten* the fruit haters!!

This sums it up perfectly I don't understand why fruit is considered by some to be unhealthy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

This sums it up perfectly I don't understand why fruit is considered by some to be unhealthy.

It's probably because so many people are afraid of sugar/carbs these days...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Because recommendations from most health organizations is to limit added sugar and at the same time you have the sugar industry pushing their narrative that sugar-is-sugar. If you believe everything you're being told - that added sugar should be limited and that sugar-is-sugar - then it stands to reason fruit should limited as well.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It really makes me sad when I read posts like this. Of course fruit is healthy. It is jammed packed with so many essential vitamins and minerals and a fantastic source of fibre. Only those with a medical reason to avoid it or limit it really need to be concerned.

Some will say it should be avoided because it is a means of justifying their choices with diet rather than fact. If you go keto your fruit intake has to be carefully monitered so you don't go too high in carbs. Some in the LCHF community view fruit (and many vegetables and wholegrains) evil because they believe their way is the only way and this has led to incorrect conclusions for those who are wanting to lose weight.

P.S. I said some LCHF for a reason because most know that keto works great for them but understand that it is only one of many successful tools. They understand that carbs don't work for them but this is no reason for others to avoid them.
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say fruit is unhealthy. If I can't even enjoy the fruits of this earth when what is even the point of being here!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had over 800g of fruit today. I love it, i don't think i could ever give it up. I can think of worse sugary/carby foods to snack on.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    All

I am on a fitness quest since last few weeks and want to know if it's ok to have some fruits in my routine. Might sound like a silly question since ofcourse fruits are considered to be good but I have also seen a lot of negative comments! I would love to know how you all think! Thanks!

Fruit is healthy. But variety is key.