Savory Oats!

Options
Wondering if anyone likes savory oats and has any great recipes to try.

Looking to shake up my breakfast routine.

Thanks!

-M.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love them, but don't really do a recipe. I mix in some chopped and sauteed veg (broccoli or asparagus or zucchini), maybe some sauteed mushrooms, a still runny sunny side up egg, and some feta cheese.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I like to mix in shaved parmesan, romano, or other hard Italian cheese and a poached or fried egg, plus salt and pepper. Or just butter and/or olive oil, salt and pepper if I'm keeping it simple.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I usually make mine by stirring in peanut butter/PB2 and salsa.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure how i feel about this thread...

Heh, I'm the same... I'm not that big a fan of oats, and can't really get my head around making them savoury. But I eat some other pretty odd stuff, so eh ;)
  • CindyWard2
    CindyWard2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I wish I hadn't opened this thread until after breakfast...
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Savory oats are the best!! I do them Asian style with soy sauce, sriracha, an egg on top, and scallions. For everyone who's squeamish: come on, they're just another grain.
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Savory oats are the best!! I do them Asian style with soy sauce, sriracha, an egg on top, and scallions. For everyone who's squeamish: come on, they're just another grain.

I do the exact same and just switch up the base occasionally i.e. sub quinoa or rice or amaranth. I just adore it.

Also, any tasty leftovers in your fridge? Steak or chicken and cooked veggies, then you've got what you need to make savoury oats. I love leftover stews or curries on my oats too. My mom does cottage cheese and scrambled eggs in hers.

Seconding the 'they're just another grain'. A simple start for you to dress up as you please.
  • themillennialfalcon
    Options
    My go to for a while was oatmeal with an over easy egg, topped with scallions and sriracha.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    My go to for a while was oatmeal with an over easy egg, topped with scallions and sriracha.

This sounds... okay. There rest, though...... I dunno you guys.
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make mine by sauteing peppers and onions, then toasting the oats. I then add in beef broth slowly, risotto style, making sure its absorbed before I add more. Its really a tasty side dish.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Try pottage......it's pretty medieval
    http://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/medieval-pottage-stew
  • mariahdoesthis
    mariahdoesthis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »

Awesome! I never really thought to do them in an Asian style. But I love Eggs and Sriracha together.
  • mariahdoesthis
    Options
    I make mine by sauteing peppers and onions, then toasting the oats. I then add in beef broth slowly, risotto style, making sure its absorbed before I add more. Its really a tasty side dish.

Duuuuuude. I love making risotto. This sounds amazeballs.
  • mariahdoesthis
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, guys!
  • mariahdoesthis
    Options

Peanut butter and salsa? If you are serious then I will try it. Although I might use almond butter instead.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Peanut butter and salsa? If you are serious then I will try it. Although I might use almond butter instead.

I've done it with almond butter and cashew butter and enjoyed it too. If you've ever had a spicy peanut sauce with noodles or a stir-fry, it's the same concept!
  • mariahdoesthis
    Options
    i'm not sure how i feel about this thread...

Heh, I'm the same... I'm not that big a fan of oats, and can't really get my head around making them savoury. But I eat some other pretty odd stuff, so eh ;)

I sell sheep yogurt and cheese at farmer's markets and one of my customers mentioned he likes to use the yogurt for savory curry oats. I tried his recipe and loved it. So I thought, why not try more? Granted, the curry does add a little bit of a natural sweetness.

Always try something new, right?
  • mariahdoesthis
    Options

I've done it with almond butter and cashew butter and enjoyed it too. If you've ever had a spicy peanut sauce with noodles or a stir-fry, it's the same concept!

Dude! Totes makes sense. Now I see it (and can imagine how GREAT that would taste!). Thanks!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats topped with parm and a poached egg (sometimes some crumbled bacon) is the go-to weekend breakfast at my house.