Anyone doing/done intermittent fasting?

Options

Replies

• Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    Every time I do a cut (aka weight loss phase), I always do IF. I just like having 2-3 big meals over having 5-6 small meals. People who do IF for other reasons, but don't enjoy this diet, shouldn't be doing this, regardless if there are benefits or not. You chose the diet YOU enjoy and will help you achieve your goal. I see too many people on mfp that use diet tools like keto or IF, they feel miserable, but they only do it because of what other people say (a lot of time there's a lot of bs).

Yes, I agree! Thank you!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Bottom line is, your opinion doesn't change mine. We could send links back and forth all day attempting to discredit each other's opinion. But would either of our opinions change? No. That's like trying to change someone's political/religious beliefs because you think you are right and "they" are wrong. Foolishness. I'm done arguing @CharlieBeansmomTracey
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've had success with IF in the past. I'm trying to get back on track with it now. I don't follow an eating window, I just drink coffee/water all day and then eat dinner as my only meal. The busier I am with my life the easier it is for me to stick to it, if I don't have a lot going on I'll tend to obsess more over hunger. I'm not much of a breakfast person naturally so that helps.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    Bottom line is, your opinion doesn't change mine. We could send links back and forth all day attempting to discredit each other's opinion. But would either of our opinions change? No. That's like trying to change someone's political/religious beliefs because you think you are right and "they" are wrong. Foolishness. I'm done arguing @CharlieBeansmomTracey

not even arguing and I dont think Im right or someone else is wrong there is proof that IF is just a way to adhere to a calorie deficit. nothing more really. and as for politics or religion I dont get into those things as they are not of an interest to me. now maybe if there were proof one religion was THE religion(there is no proof) or that one particular party was better than the other for X reasons then I would post those points. but since there isnt any scientific proof for those things what would be the point in mentioning them? The thing is there is opinion and them there is scientific studies that are proof. both being two different things.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

not even arguing and I dont think Im right or someone else is wrong there is proof that IF is just a way to adhere to a calorie deficit. nothing more really. and as for politics or religion I dont get into those things as they are not of an interest to me. now maybe if there were proof one religion was THE religion(there is no proof) or that one particular party was better than the other for X reasons then I would post those points. but since there isnt any scientific proof for those things what would be the point in mentioning them? The thing is there is opinion and them there is scientific studies that are proof. both being two different things.

I 100% do not agree with your opinion of scientific research. Scientists will have proof for either side you want to choose, no matter the subject or topic. Choose the side you want, I promise you will find the article, source, doctor, scientist, for you with all the proof you need, no matter which side you choose. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. We can agree to disagree. Thank you for the debate. Cheers.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Please don't respond to my posts any longer @CharlieBeansmomTracey. Your responses are not positive nor credible. I see you posting similar posts on other threads.

yet others tell me all the time how helpful my posts are. you and a few others may find it not positive. what I post is truth and common sense and proven by science(or may not have been proven yet as the studies are inconclusive). I have been here long enough and done enough research in the last 5 years(going on 6) to know that IF is just a way of eating and its nothing special. oh and I have helped many people lose weight,get off plateaus and so on. what did I say thats not credible? please point me to what I said that wasnt credible.

Ma'am, anyone can go back through this thread and see how many people you have had a rebuttal against. If you want to share your "scientific sources", perhaps you should extend your education and become a professor in science or nutrition, or become a doctor. Then you can type as many articles why IF doesn't mean a thing to you.

Even if you were a doctor or professor, your findings would be biased. How many doctors have different views on different treatments? One doctor may have a scientific basis for why IF does not accelerate weight loss, but I guarantee you, you'll find another doctor who will argue the opposite based off of their findings. I have never professed to have all the scientific research or medical studies to back up the lifestyle that works....FOR ME. Where are you getting this notion that I started this thread only for scientific sources and purposes? I'm using MFP for fun and positivity. You can not like or agree with IF as much as you want, but you don't have to argue with people who do like IF and reap great results. The majority of people in this thread don't give a flying fadoodle about the freakin sources. They just know whether it works
    them or not. A sharing of personal experience from on e person to the next. Go back to my original post....
    thing is this whole site has nothing but scientific links you could do a search for. why would I repost them when they are already on this site? that would be pointless Drs dont know a lot about diets/nutrition because they dont get enough schooling hours for those things so even drs can be wrong when it comes to dieting(thats why its best to see a registered dietitian. I also am not arguing. you are seeing it as arguing when its not.

I also dont think you saw where I said I also do IF and pretty much have done so most of my life? so how does it not mean nothing to me? i do it because I dont eat breakfast and I also said that for me I dont lose more weight when on it compared to when I dont fast. when you make a point that something works in a certain way and works differently in your body its up to you to provide links to backup those claims,when all the other proof is already out there proving it does nothing different.

The whole point is that IF does help some adhere to their calorie goals. I never said it didnt. I also dont need to become a dr or anything of the sort as many members here are drs,scientists and so on and have provided links proving that these things are not a special diet or a special way to lose weight. again a search will bring those links up.

as for rebuttals against others if someone provides false or non scientific claims then I or anyone has the right to refute those claims and ask for proof. same way if I am wrong about something someone will come and correct me and Im fine with that as well. I have learned a lot being here and having others tell me that what I thought was right due to reading misinformation out there was wrong and gave me links and helped me learn what is right and what is wrong when it comes to weight loss. It doesnt matter how a person eats ,to lose weight they need a calorie deficit and how they reach that deficit doesnt matter.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study.

Please don't respond to my posts any longer @CharlieBeansmomTracey. Your responses are not positive nor credible. I see you posting similar posts on other threads.

yet others tell me all the time how helpful my posts are. you and a few others may find it not positive. what I post is truth and common sense and proven by science(or may not have been proven yet as the studies are inconclusive). I have been here long enough and done enough research in the last 5 years(going on 6) to know that IF is just a way of eating and its nothing special. oh and I have helped many people lose weight,get off plateaus and so on. what did I say thats not credible? please point me to what I said that wasnt credible.

Ma'am, anyone can go back through this thread and see how many people you have had a rebuttal against. If you want to share your "scientific sources", perhaps you should extend your education and become a professor in science or nutrition, or become a doctor. Then you can type as many articles why IF doesn't mean a thing to you.

Even if you were a doctor or professor, your findings would be biased. How many doctors have different views on different treatments? One doctor may have a scientific basis for why IF does not accelerate weight loss, but I guarantee you, you'll find another doctor who will argue the opposite based off of their findings. I have never professed to have all the scientific research or medical studies to back up the lifestyle that works....FOR ME. Where are you getting this notion that I started this thread only for scientific sources and purposes? I'm using MFP for fun and positivity. You can not like or agree with IF as much as you want, but you don't have to argue with people who do like IF and reap great results. The majority of people in this thread don't give a flying fadoodle about the freakin sources. They just know whether it works
    them or not. A sharing of personal experience from on e person to the next. Go back to my original post....
    thing is this whole site has nothing but scientific links you could do a search for. why would I repost them when they are already on this site? that would be pointless Drs dont know a lot about diets/nutrition because they dont get enough schooling hours for those things so even drs can be wrong when it comes to dieting(thats why its best to see a registered dietitian. I also am not arguing. you are seeing it as arguing when its not.

I also dont think you saw where I said I also do IF and pretty much have done so most of my life? so how does it not mean nothing to me? i do it because I dont eat breakfast and I also said that for me I dont lose more weight when on it compared to when I dont fast. when you make a point that something works in a certain way and works differently in your body its up to you to provide links to backup those claims,when all the other proof is already out there proving it does nothing different.

The whole point is that IF does help some adhere to their calorie goals. I never said it didnt. I also dont need to become a dr or anything of the sort as many members here are drs,scientists and so on and have provided links proving that these things are not a special diet or a special way to lose weight. again a search will bring those links up.

as for rebuttals against others if someone provides false or non scientific claims then I or anyone has the right to refute those claims and ask for proof. same way if I am wrong about something someone will come and correct me and Im fine with that as well. I have learned a lot being here and having others tell me that what I thought was right due to reading misinformation out there was wrong and gave me links and helped me learn what is right and what is wrong when it comes to weight loss. It doesnt matter how a person eats ,to lose weight they need a calorie deficit and how they reach that deficit doesnt matter.

Thumbs up
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

If you are hopeful for actual peer reviewed studies which back up your claim that somehow timing/IF has an impact on CICO then I am afraid you will be deeply disappointed. However, I would encourage you to check out PubMed, Medline/NIH and others and you will quickly learn that your positions have zero backing other than blogs written by bro science nut cases who are most of the time looking to sell you something.

This is not to say that IF can't be a tool to help people stay at a deficit. Anything that helps a person stay at a deficit is going to aid in weight loss, but it's the deficit that matters not the method.
  • Fitkam90
    edited October 2017
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

If you are hopeful for actual peer reviewed studies which back up your claim that somehow timing/IF has an impact on CICO then I am afraid you will be deeply disappointed. However, I would encourage you to check out PubMed, Medline/NIH and others and you will quickly learn that your positions have zero backing other than blogs written by bro science nut cases who are most of the time looking to sell you something.

This is not to say that IF can't be a tool to help people stay at a deficit. Anything that helps a person stay at a deficit is going to aid in weight loss, but it's the deficit that matters not the method.

Y'all can't seem to stop putting words in my mouth. Is this a disorder of yours? I'm not referring to cico. It's the study of fat in fat stores being burned during fasting after your last meal has been digested using IF. I'm not making this up. Do more research on body builders who use IF to cut up. I am WELL AWARE of what calorie deficit is and how it works. IF is a great tool for me to stay on track when tracking calories of course. There are other sources like... hmmmm.... Real people with real results? I choose not to rely soley on what WebMd tells me. Thank you for your response.
  • ssbbg
    ssbbg Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I 100% do not agree with your opinion of scientific research. Scientists will have proof for either side you want to choose, no matter the subject or topic. Choose the side you want, I promise you will find the article, source, doctor, scientist, for you with all the proof you need, no matter which side you choose. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. We can agree to disagree. Thank you for the debate. Cheers.

Wow. That's really not how scientific research works. And that's really not what "proof" is either.

I'm all for finding what works for you, but don't confuse that with scientific research or "proof" of anything. Setting up a good experiment is incredibly difficult, so concluding that a given action leads to a specific result for a certain reason is really hard. Individual results and individual theories don't prove anything. Even studies on groups don't necessarily prove anything unless there are good control groups that didn't get the treatment. And in much of the stuff on the internet, you have survivor bias- only the good results are publicized. Bad or neutral results aren't published. (A scientific study should include negative results, though failures frequently aren't published)

Health specifically has so many factors that it is very hard to pinpoint cause(s) and effect. For example, did a person's type II diabetes go into remission because of fasting, weight loss, severe calorie restriction, carb restriction, or the combination of all (or some of these factors)? It is a hard thing to separate because many times multiple things are changed at once (for example, you cut calories and end up cutting carbs also. You IF and you end up restricting calories. You lose weight and feel better and start exercising more). All of these factors have been claimed to be the cause of T2D remission... but I think there is no proof yet as to the impact of each factor.

• Fitkam90
    Options
    ssbbg wrote: »

Wow. That's really not how scientific research works. And that's really not what "proof" is either.

I'm all for finding what works for you, but don't confuse that with scientific research or "proof" of anything. Setting up a good experiment is incredibly difficult, so concluding that a given action leads to a specific result for a certain reason is really hard. Individual results and individual theories don't prove anything. Even studies on groups don't necessarily prove anything unless there are good control groups that didn't get the treatment. And in much of the stuff on the internet, you have survivor bias- only the good results are publicized. Bad or neutral results aren't published. (A scientific study should include negative results, though failures frequently aren't published)

Health specifically has so many factors that it is very hard to pinpoint cause(s) and effect. For example, did a person's type II diabetes go into remission because of fasting, weight loss, severe calorie restriction, carb restriction, or the combination of all (or some of these factors)? It is a hard thing to separate because many times multiple things are changed at once (for example, you cut calories and end up cutting carbs also. You IF and you end up restricting calories. You lose weight and feel better and start exercising more). All of these factors have been claimed to be the cause of T2D remission... but I think there is no proof yet as to the impact of each factor.

Thank you!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I am just simply saying...I'm a real person with a real testimony on IF. My body is unique. I used to eat 3 sensible meals a day with a couple of sensible snacks (normal times) . I would have baked chicken and zucchini or okra every night for dinner, and stay under 1500 calories per day. Yet I could NOT break my plateau for 6 months. As soon as I began intermittent fasting, I immediately stated losing 2 lbs/ week. My meal and snack choices did not change. I continue to lose weight every...single...day, when I could NOT lose 1 lb a week before. It is my personal experience that IF has better aided me in weight loss over the past 2 months. I'm losing inches faster than I have before (I take measurements regularly).Something has had to change in my own unique body to have receiced results.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am just simply saying...I'm a real person with a real testimony on IF. My body is unique. I used to eat 3 sensible meals a day with a couple of sensible snacks (normal times) . I would have baked chicken and zucchini or okra every night for dinner, and stay under 1500 calories per day. Yet I could NOT break my plateau for 6 months. As soon as I began intermittent fasting, I immediately stated losing 2 lbs/ week. My meal and snack choices did not change. I continue to lose weight every...single...day, when I could NOT lose 1 lb a week before. It is my personal experience that IF has better aided me in weight loss over the past 2 months. I'm losing inches faster than I have before (I take measurements regularly).Something has had to change in my own unique body to have receiced results.

You think you are the first person in MFP history to make a case for special snowflake syndrome? Look around. It happens hundreds of times a day. This is why science exists, or else any Joe Blow with an anecdote might garner credibility.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Kami1990 wrote: »
    If you don't mind my asking, I have heard of intermittent fasting, however I don't know the science behind it. I guess I could just google it but thought maybe you could just give me an idea. How is it different if I ate 1500 calories in a 12 hour window versus the same amount of calories in an 8 hour window? I am currently doing keto and wanted to see if maybe this is something I could fit into my lifestyle. Thank you in advance! :)

Great question! I'm not an expert. But... Your body fully digests your last meal after 6 hours. The next 10 hours of fasting starts burning the fat you have stored as you sleep. It's best to work out during your fasting window also.

This is not true.

Your meal is not fully digested in a set time frame, it depends a bit on the food, but normally full digestion is 30-50 hours.

You're always burning amounts of fat if you are in a calorie deficit.

You don't store fat when you sleep.

It doesn't matter (for weight loss) when you eat or when you workout.

Actually it takes my body 4 hours to digest it fully. I should know cause I can pinpoint exactly when I need to poop... and this is only on days I eat...and I know exactly what it is.

It takes way longer than 4 hours unless you have a serious medical issue. It takes 6-8 hours just to get through your small intestine.
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

You think you are the first person in MFP history to make a case for special snowflake syndrome? Look around. It happens hundreds of times a day. This is why science exists, or else any Joe Blow with an anecdote might garner credibility.

No kidding?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    bump
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!