Anyone doing/done intermittent fasting?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study. also I have not lost any more weight fasting as compared to when I do fast. (16:8) I dont feel any different. my energy levels are also no different. I fast because Im not normally a breakfast eater and really never was. I lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time. neither one makes a difference to me and I do have a metabolic issue. you would think if IF is so great it would help me. nope.I lose weight in a deficit no matter how I eat,whether I fast or not. my body works no differently.

So???? Just because someone posts a study that’s not peer reviewed doesn’t mean squat! I know a ton of people who use IF including myself and get results. I’ll take my results over your “peer” review any day of the week.

Btw... how about all those peer reviews talking about how global warming is “legit”! It’s been proven to be garbage science! When you see how professionals cook the books, you tend to give less credence to that pseudo science.

How bout this. Do what works for you and don’t knock others who have a different opinion!

Yes!! Thank you @KirbySmith46 !
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Those that believe IF makes zero difference in losses probably also believe that you get zero losses when you take some electrical energy and use it to perform electrolysis on water, splitting the water into hydrogen and oxygen, then take the hydrogen and oxygen and burn them to generate heat that runs a steam generator that produces electricity. There are losses. There are different metabolic pathways for digesting glucose vs fat. Also for using fat to produce glucose while fasted. The different pathways use more or less energy compared to each other, therefore, what and when you eat DO make some difference. How much, I'm not sure but it sure isn't ZERO! I estimate CI and CO and I regularly lose a lot more than what CICO predicts. Is it because my BMR is higher than what I think or is it because my BMR is boosted by IF? I think there is a benefit, I just don't know how much. Might be small but it isn't ZERO! CI in the mouth isn't the same as CI a fat cell! Simple reasoning tells us that the effects are not zero! You don't need a study. Thermodynamics have been proven. More processes mean more losses which you get with IF, simple as that. IF or LC isn't necessary to lose weight and CICO is great to predict a minimum loss, nothing can deny you the minimum loss CICO demands (unless you can create energy out of thin air) but that doesn't mean IF or LC won't make you lose even more. How much, I don't know. But it isn't ZERO! Let the spears fly all you non-thermodynamics believing people!

Excellent! Thank you, @blambo61 !
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Some of this anti-science nonsense is hilarious to read, so thanks for providing me some entertainment value on an otherwise dull Sunday. We have now even gone full circle into straight up tin foil hat conspiracy theory. Say what you want about the fad diet crowd, but at least they are not boring.
  • KirbySmith46
    KirbySmith46 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Some of this anti-science nonsense is hilarious to read, so thanks for providing me some entertainment value on an otherwise dull Sunday. We have now even gone full circle into straight up tin foil hat conspiracy theory. Say what you want about the fad diet crowd, but at least they are not boring.

Lmao
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options

Do you think there are no losses with the electrolysis example? How is the body different? Please explain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting-2017-update-v5/ here is a link for anyone who is curious about IF and how your body works differently during fasting.

the link is not a peer reviewed scientific study. also I have not lost any more weight fasting as compared to when I do fast. (16:8) I dont feel any different. my energy levels are also no different. I fast because Im not normally a breakfast eater and really never was. I lost the same amount of weight in the same amount of time. neither one makes a difference to me and I do have a metabolic issue. you would think if IF is so great it would help me. nope.I lose weight in a deficit no matter how I eat,whether I fast or not. my body works no differently.

So???? Just because someone posts a study that’s not peer reviewed doesn’t mean squat! I know a ton of people who use IF including myself and get results. I’ll take my results over your “peer” review any day of the week.

Btw... how about all those peer reviews talking about how global warming is “legit”! It’s been proven to be garbage science! When you see how professionals cook the books, you tend to give less credence to that pseudo science.

How bout this. Do what works for you and don’t knock others who have a different opinion!

no one was knocking IF I said I also do IF, guess you cant read either. and several of others also said the same things I did just worded differently yet Im the one being attacked? IF works to help ADHERE to a calorie deficit. you dont lose more weight or fat if you do IF and dont eat in a deficit and yes,you can overeat and gain doing IF. as for global warming. I have not seen any peer reviewed scientific studies proving its real. weather patterns do repeat over time but doesnt mean its global warming either.

if people are getting results its because its helping people to stay in a deficit to lose weight. any idiot can write an article with bro science in it ans say anything they want .but when there are peer reviewed studies of people who were control subjects and others who may have been given another diet, and it shows that the results were basically the same.

maybe since you are special when it comes to weight loss/IF you should contact some scientists and let them know that you are the exception to their studies and you should be studied instead?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

it is comical the stuff people believe when there is legit proof otherwise.
  • KirbySmith46
    Options

no one was knocking IF I said I also do IF, guess you cant read either. and several of others also said the same things I did just worded differently yet Im the one being attacked? IF works to help ADHERE to a calorie deficit. you dont lose more weight or fat if you do IF and dont eat in a deficit and yes,you can overeat and gain doing IF. as for global warming. I have not seen any peer reviewed scientific studies proving its real. weather patterns do repeat over time but doesnt mean its global warming either.

if people are getting results its because its helping people to stay in a deficit to lose weight. any idiot can write an article with bro science in it ans say anything they want .but when there are peer reviewed studies of people who were control subjects and others who may have been given another diet, and it shows that the results were basically the same.

maybe since you are special when it comes to weight loss/IF you should contact some scientists and let them know that you are the exception to their studies and you should be studied instead?

Umm so are you calling me a liar? Are you saying that I haven’t gotten results using IF???? Please let me hear more??? I’m learning so much!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    Don't argue, just report and flag. Their posts are against mfp regulations.
  • JustRobby1
    Options

Thankfully, calling out rank nonsense for precisely what it is does not violate TOS. That is actually part of the purpose of these forums to begin with. You might not like it, but that is irrelevant.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

Thankfully, calling out rank nonsense for precisely what it is does not violate TOS. That is actually part of the purpose of these forums to begin with. You might not like it, but that is irrelevant.

Go read the regulations. There's a difference between respectfully disagreeing and being disrespectful.
  • JustRobby1
    edited October 2017
    Options

Calling nonsense, well, nonsense, is not disrespectful. It's simply accurate. Plenty of people before yourself have attempted to disseminate woo here, and they are nearly always met with an identical reception. It's something most of us see on a daily basis in fact.
  • KirbySmith46
    Options

I would rather argue with them. Their posts are quite amusing! Every time they post, they just make the case for IF stronger!
  • Fitkam90
    Options

I would rather argue with them. Their posts are quite amusing! Every time they post, they just make the case for IF stronger!

Especially since they are only agreeing with each other. Only 2 people. It is humorous.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Especially since they are only agreeing with each other. Only 2 people. It is humorous.

whoa who is agreeing with who? and if anyone is breaking TOS its you attacking others and asking them if they have disorders and so on. I havent attacked anyone, I havent been disrespectful to anyone,you are the one doing so. also flagging posts because of you not agreeing with a post is against the TOS. my post and the others posts are not against the TOS as we are not verbally attacking anyone,we arent being disrepectful or any of that. see it how you see it though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Umm so are you calling me a liar? Are you saying that I haven’t gotten results using IF???? Please let me hear more??? I’m learning so much!

you just want to argue with someone so I suggest you go do it with someone else. results from weight loss come down to CICO. fat is lost in a deficit. its how it is. it works that way for everyone. but you dont want to believe that so be it.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.
    The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Sugar
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!