Do you believe it is ALL just CICO?

Options
Hi all -
So, I am under the impression that if I eat burn more calories than I eat, I will lose weight. Is it that simple?

For example, if i eat food with little to no nutritional value, what one might call, garbage...but stay under my calorie goal, will I still lose weight?

Now, this isn't how I conduct my day to day life, but I am a teacher and somedays rely solely on candy, chips, and other assorted snacks to get through the day.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    "Garbage" is often not only low in important micronutrients, it's also usually calorie-dense. For many people, that makes it more difficult to stay at a calorie deficit.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    andreayup wrote: »
    Hi all -
    So, I am under the impression that if I eat burn more calories than I eat, I will lose weight. Is it that simple?

For example, if i eat food with little to no nutritional value, what one might call, garbage...but stay under my calorie goal, will I still lose weight?

Now, this isn't how I conduct my day to day life, but I am a teacher and somedays rely solely on candy, chips, and other assorted snacks to get through the day.

Thoughts?

Calories for weight loss, nutrition for health. I'm betting you'd like both? ;)

Seriously, you can eat some less nutrient-dense foods within your calorie goal and still lose weight, but you'll feel more satiated and generally good if most of your food gives you well-rounded nutrition.

Why not simply log what you're eating, compare it to the MFP default nutrition goals, and adjust gradually as needed for good satiation, better nutrition, and if course tastiness?

Also, consider keeping some shelf-stable nutritious grab'n'eat foods that you enjoy in your desk or locker for busy times: Applesauce or fruit cups, instant soup or oatmeal, reasonable portions of dry-roasted nuts or soybeans, maybe reasonable protein bars, etc.

There's no need to make it complicated. Best wishes!