Options
124»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Lots of info out there about why you would avoid mixing fat and carbs in the same meal.

Some examples would be deep fried sugar donuts, fried rice, fries, cakes and biscuits, thickly buttered bread.

Personally I would have nutrient dense low carb green vegetables with fat. Or alternatively I would have a low/fat free carb meal.

Note this is my personal preference, however people should find what works best for themselves.

Those foods you mention are all pretty calorie-dense and (for some) not that filling. But that doesn't mean that combining fat and carbohydrates is inherently bad.

What about the meals @lemurcat12 mentioned ("pasta with a sauce made of shrimp and lots of vegetables cooked with garlic in olive oil, with some olives in the sauce. Or a roasted chicken with roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts. Or pork chops with apples and cabbage and winter squash. Or salmon with green beans") or things like chili with beans, an omelet with vegetables, spaghetti squash and some peanut sauce, or thousands of other calorie-balanced meals that include both carbohydrates and fat?

If someone has green vegetables with fat, they're doing what you recommended against -- combining carbohydrates and fat (there are no carbohydrate-free vegetables).
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I mean like adding other sources. Not just meat and veggies for dinner. Like meat veggies and pasta
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Beware that undereating long-term will slooooooow down your metabolism! I see this allll the time with girls in my class at the gym and clients- they eat like birds but can't ever seem to lose weight. You may feel full on those bulky whole foods but if you're not getting enough calories and nutrition, your body will perceive this as a threat and respond by slowing down your metabolism and hanging on to precious body fat for dear life. Get those calories in girl! Rice is your friend (unless you're low-carbing it, in which case you need to up your fat intake to compensate) Your macros should be balanced 40-50% carbs, 20-30% fats, and 20-30% proteins. (Again, unless you're doing a special ketogenic diet or something). This site is fantastic for keeping calories and macros in the perfect range for weight loss and maintenance without under or over eating. Personally, I log religiously everything that enters my mouth Monday-Friday, and then Sat & Sun I eat whatever I want. I'm not binging and eating everything in sight, but I'm eating Indian Food for dinner and some Ben and Jerry's for dessert! If you go totally crazy and binge all day long this method won't work. During a "refeed" limit eating to regular meal times and when you're full you're done. I have lost 15 lbs over 2 months so far doing this method, and I didn't have that much to lose to begin with. (I am a slim strength athlete/runner). I am 39, and I eat about 2000-2500 calories per day Mon-Fri and on the weekends probably like 3000-4000 daily. In fact, a study just came out today in fact where men who went on a strict diet for 2 weeks, and then came off the diet for 2 weeks- repeating this pattern for 6 months, they lost 16 more pounds than the group who stayed on their strict diet for the whole 6 months! My theory is that your body quickly "figures out" the low calorie situation and slows down your metabolism to compensate for the lack of calories, but if you periodically and strategically "overfeed" at intervals you can bypass much of this effect, providing your daily calories aren't below your BMR. The men in the study did a long "refeed" every 2 weeks, but you can do it once or twice a week like me and have success. If you're sedentary and gain weight easily, you could try going off your diet for 3 days every 2-3 weeks even. The idea is to keep your metabolism elevated and avoid the dreaded starvation mode. It also creates a nice balance where you can enjoy favorite foods and take a break from all the calorie tracking.
    Under-eating does not cause the body to hold on to its fat stores, ever..

You see those in your class eating like birds, but you don't see how they eat when they're at home, in private...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If your body is in starvation mode, it will first use all the fat it has stored. That's why it's stored, for energy, then it will start eating away at muscles then organs. If you starve yourself you will lose weight but not in a healthy manner.

When you lose weight, you're going to be losing both fat and muscle. Since there is a limit to how much fat your body can break down in a day for energy, someone at a high deficit is actually more at risk for losing muscle than someone at a more reasonable deficit. Since some of your organs are muscles (think the heart), the order can't really be thought of as fat, then muscle, then organs.

Yeah -- if you starve yourself, you will lose weight. But a chunk of that is going to be muscle and even if there aren't health consequences, that leaves many people feeling unhappy with their body composition when they get to goal.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    Yes I'm not saying it's in that order precisely but I'm saying that you will not gain fat from starving yourself.

Which I'm not doing but I was just putting that out there.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Lots of info out there about why you would avoid mixing fat and carbs in the same meal.

Some examples would be deep fried sugar donuts, fried rice, fries, cakes and biscuits, thickly buttered bread.

Who has deep fried sugar donuts for a "meal" or cakes (well, maybe a crab cake).

Your other examples are caloric and might well be eaten with a meal, but hardly explain why it's bad to mix fat and carbs.

Pulled pork is caloric, does that mean I should never mix fat and protein (bye, bye salmon).

If you have vegetables, you are not having a "carb-free meal," vegetables have carbs.

One fat plus carbs dish I enjoy are roasted brussels sprouts tossed before roasting with some olive oil. Sometimes I even add some bacon.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I mean like adding other sources. Not just meat and veggies for dinner. Like meat veggies and pasta

Sounds good to me!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Avocado, oils, butter, nuts -- pretty much any fat. Carbs and proteins are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    No fat and carbs together also means no avocado, no nuts.
  • rickiimarieee
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq that sounds so good. :#