Cheat Meal

Options

Replies

• meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    On Fridays we have pizza, I still stay within calories but eat them all! Always go to the gym first
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    To complete my thought.....it is all about sustainability. If you can not sustain a plan, then you are going to fail. And, with how I define things, you only fail when you quit. So, if you know that something is doomed for failure then why in the heck start? Total waste of time. And time is the one thing that NONE of us can get back.....

I want to be doing this for the next how many decades? At 50, I do not know how much longer I have on this planet. But, no matter what that number is, I want to be able to maintain this lifestyle. It is not an accident that I live this way. It works for me. And, again, thank the good Lord, everyone is different. So, find what works for you ........ what truly works for you .....and do that! :smiley:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    When was your last cheat meal ? What was it ? I just had a cheat meal for lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Had a 12 oz. steak and a salad

Looks like you aren't getting the type of answers you were expecting here. Personally, I don't like the concept of cheating, neither in food, nor any aspect of life.

Regarding your situation, what is your MFP recommended daily calorie level? How many calories did you log for that meal? What were your total calories on that day?

My recommended daily calorie level is 2460. I logged 860 calories for that meal. In addition to my other meals I had 740 remaining for the day. I considered it a cheat because the steak seemed to have a lot of fat in which I don't have. And the salad had a lot of ranch in which I don't have either.

You can reset your macros under settings to something more suited to your preferred way of eating, if you want to. You will lose weight if you are in a caloric deficit. Macros don't affect weight loss, and there's little good evidence to support MFP's default settings. In particular there's evidence that fat has been unfairly demonized in the past. MFP's sodium setting is also inappropriately low, according to modern research which associates extreme low sodium diets (which their setting is) with an increased risk of death.

Because fat is so calorie dense, when you restrict calories, it's quite easy for fat to become a higher percentage of your diet. As long as you are getting adequate protein and other nutrients, you're fine. As a diabetic, MFP's default macros would literally kill me. Different people have different needs, and if eating more fat makes it easier to stay within your calories, do that. It's not cheating.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This post took the wrong direction..
  • Trex5009
    Options
    I appreciate the people who just answered the question haha
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I think you got lots of "food for thought". It may not seem that way now, but perhaps it will later. Or not. Who knows. Best of luck regardless.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    When was your last cheat meal ? What was it ? I just had a cheat meal for lunch at Texas Roadhouse. Had a 12 oz. steak and a salad

Looks like you aren't getting the type of answers you were expecting here. Personally, I don't like the concept of cheating, neither in food, nor any aspect of life.

Regarding your situation, what is your MFP recommended daily calorie level? How many calories did you log for that meal? What were your total calories on that day?

My recommended daily calorie level is 2460. I logged 860 calories for that meal. In addition to my other meals I had 740 remaining for the day. I considered it a cheat because the steak seemed to have a lot of fat in which I don't have. And the salad had a lot of ranch in which I don't have either.

Okay, so your "cheating" didn't do any damage then. I think the real key in this plan is to be conscious of the true value of your Calories In and Calories Out, and ensure you're consistently having a Calorie Deficit.

Another point often made on here is that depriving yourself of foods you like, is going to eventually lead to failure. So maybe its best you enjoy your steak occasionally, and make up for it with more moderate choices on other days, plus perhaps some exercise or other increased activity.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Please do not call it a cheat meal. By calling it a cheat meal you're implying you're doing something wrong. You're not doing anything wrong you're enjoying life

For this to work and be a lifetime Journey the process has to be enjoyable. By depriving yourself of food that you enjoy it won't work in the long run. You can't look at this as a diet diet suck and they fail you're miserable on them and eventually you'll go back to your old habits

Just like your life your eating habits are going to have good days and bad days. Your success will be on what you learned from these days and how you apply it there's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself once in awhile as long as it doesn't become a daily occurrence.

There are plenty of times I've blown my calorie limit for one reason or another I don't look at it as a negative all I do is I go up bad day today I'm back tomorrow. Using this philosophy I lost 80 lb over 8 months and I've been maintaining that weight loss for approximately one year. If I had to give up the occasional Wendy's hamburger pizza and beer on the beach I would have never done what I've done
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options

OK. My memory is a bit foggy but in all likelihood it involved Chef-Boy-R-Dee ravioli. The entire can. Which I likely ate cold because it was the only way I could sneak it in without my parents detecting I'd consumed it. I typically finished that off with a Three Musketeers Bar.

Is that more to the point?
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat meals. Just eat anything I want everyday as long as it fits into my total calories. That includes sweets like donuts, chips, cookies, ice cream, ect. To OP it may totally look like a "cheat meal".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    phonerobot wrote: »

However: Give up the red meat and processed foods.

:laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

It's a shame you think that.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Give up red meat and processed? What is there to eat then?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yes, one of the reasons that I am much less active in these forums now. But that is okay. We are all adults. My choice.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    It varies, but lately I like to order a combo plate from a local cheap Mexican place to go and drink a jumbo Margarita at the bar while waiting for it to come out. Saturday it was a ground beef enchilada and beef tostada with beans, rice, and chips and salsa - usually around 1,300+ calories.

I try to eat about 80% "healthy" (according to plan), so during the course of a week that is 3-4 meals that are outside of that - I suppose you could categorize them as "cheat meals".
  • Trex5009
    Options
    countcurt wrote: »

OK. My memory is a bit foggy but in all likelihood it involved Chef-Boy-R-Dee ravioli. The entire can. Which I likely ate cold because it was the only way I could sneak it in without my parents detecting I'd consumed it. I typically finished that off with a Three Musketeers Bar.

Is that more to the point?

Yes
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb, I had cheat meals, because any indulgence in my favorite foods was off the diet. So every week or so I'd eat bread or ice cream or pizza. Sometimes it was a whole meal, sometimes just one specific food that I had been craving. That was the only way I could stick to that restrictive a way of eating for long. When I lost weight, I went back to normal eating and regained some of the weight but not all, fortunately.

After I joined MFP there were no cheat meals. I eat what I want. I log everything and try to eat within my calorie goals. Because I get a lot of exercise, I have a lot of freedom to eat what I enjoy. I eat ice cream a couple of days a week, beer a few days a week, pizza every other week, a restaurant meal every week, etc. I lost the weight I needed to lose and have been maintaining for about 8 months. Some days I am exactly on target with my calories, some days over or under. But it is a very sustainable way of eating. There is no sense of deprivation, I just maintain an awareness of how the choices I make will affect my calorie budget. Which makes it easy to decide whether or not to indulge in the more fattening options.