Cheat Meal

Replies

• YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    When I read the cheat meal question, my mind went to a meal you'd eat that falls outside of your cultural or religious beliefs. For example this past week I watched an old episode of "Touched By An Angel" when an older Jewish gentleman said he ate a ham sandwich to celebrate his Bar mitzvah. Or my Catholic buddy eating a hamburger on a Friday during lent.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    When I read the cheat meal question, my mind went to a meal you'd eat that falls outside of your cultural or religious beliefs. For example this past week I watched an old episode of "Touched By An Angel" when an older Jewish gentleman said he ate a ham sandwich to celebrate his Bar mitzvah. Or my Catholic buddy eating a hamburger on a Friday during lent.

Yeahh no.. that's not what a cheat meal is
  • Trex5009
    When I was doing low carb, I had cheat meals, because any indulgence in my favorite foods was off the diet. So every week or so I'd eat bread or ice cream or pizza. Sometimes it was a whole meal, sometimes just one specific food that I had been craving. That was the only way I could stick to that restrictive a way of eating for long. When I lost weight, I went back to normal eating and regained some of the weight but not all, fortunately.

After I joined MFP there were no cheat meals. I eat what I want. I log everything and try to eat within my calorie goals. Because I get a lot of exercise, I have a lot of freedom to eat what I enjoy. I eat ice cream a couple of days a week, beer a few days a week, pizza every other week, a restaurant meal every week, etc. I lost the weight I needed to lose and have been maintaining for about 8 months. Some days I am exactly on target with my calories, some days over or under. But it is a very sustainable way of eating. There is no sense of deprivation, I just maintain an awareness of how the choices I make will affect my calorie budget. Which makes it easy to decide whether or not to indulge in the more fattening options.

Makes sense
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    It is still fresh in my mind since it was 3 days ago. My son and I have birthdays close together so the family came to celebrate. I had Cake, Steak, Stuffed baked potatoes, Cheese toast, glazed carrots, and 3 or 4 ounces of rum. And no it wasn't worth it. Got a stomach ache and gained 3 pounds!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants. I won't get into the gory details but it was awesome and I easily consumed 6000 calories in food & drink. We pretty much ordered the entire menu to share amongst the entire table!

Lucky me, I just happened to run 7 miles that morning and ate at a daily 500 calorie deficit for the rest of the week. I love maintenance!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited September 2017
    Sunday - sausage, eggs and biscuits for breakfast, pizza and beer during football, fresh apple pie and wine in the evening

Edit: I don't typically use the term "cheat" either but I knew what you meant and have no problem with you using it. I just call it "the weekend"
  • Trex5009
    Sunday - sausage, eggs and biscuits for breakfast, pizza and beer during football, fresh apple pie and wine in the evening

Edit: I don't typically use the term "cheat" either but I knew what you meant and have no problem with you using it. I just call it "the weekend"

Awesome
  • QueenToni42
    QueenToni42 Posts: 4 Member
    Cheat meals maybe once a month if that
  • Carlo_casti1993
    Carlo_casti1993 Posts: 12 Member
    Entire chicken with cornbread
  • Pamshebamm181
    Pamshebamm181 Posts: 92 Member
    edited September 2017
    I went to a wedding on Saturday night and had wine, brisket, mac n cheese, loaded potatoes, cake, and appetizers.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Tuesday I had sushi and 1/4 order of robertos carne esada fries on a family road trip, yesterday I cut down on my calories, today the scale was my friend. No regrets :) i like the idea of enjoying food in moderation and adjusting accordingly. It's so much better than feeling hungry and deprived all the time!!!
  • Trex5009
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I don't think there can be such thing as a cheat meal in maintenance. You might be indulging but you're not cheating anything. This is life and if maintaining a healthy weight required a strict regimen of zero indulgence, then I'd rather be back where I was. Fat and happy.

Maintaining weight isn't about walking a tightrope. It's about making sure the hills and the valleys eventually work themselves out to level.

Okay.. what was the last thing you indulged in ??

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I like calling it an indulgence! My indulgence today was Korean BBQ with lots of side dishes. I got a flu shot and my arm hurts so I wanted a treat.
  • ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    My last cheat meal that I recall was an eating challenge. I ate two lbs of marshmallows (120 large ones), but it took longer than I expected! It was something like 3000 calories I believe.
  • Trex5009
    My last cheat meal that I recall was an eating challenge. I ate two lbs of marshmallows (120 large ones), but it took longer than I expected! It was something like 3000 calories I believe.

By how much did you go over your calories with that
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,756 Member
    I will answer the question as it was intended to be answered.
    Cheesecake
    BTW IIFYM stands for If it fits your macros. Kind of the pillar of flexible dieting.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I went to have a treat last night. Hubby bought home an apple pie from work. Worked out the size I could eat while being in my calorie allowance for the day. Took a couple of bites and decided I didn't even like it because it was too sweet. Daughter ended up eating what was remaining and I enjoyed the popcorn so much more. I think I'll stick to savoury treats from now on.
  • Trex5009
    I will answer the question as it was intended to be answered.
    Cheesecake
    BTW IIFYM stands for If it fits your macros. Kind of the pillar of flexible dieting.

Oooh yum cheesecake! I'm gonna plan for that some time ;)