Why don't people use MFP to set their calorie goals?

Options
12346»

Replies

• maiseybehrends
    maiseybehrends Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP has also been telling me for the past year almost everyday that I will be at my "goal weight" in 5 weeks if everyday were like today. Well needless to say I'm still not at my goal weight following what it recommends for my activity level. Yesturday I started IIFYM and was given a whole different set of numbers than MFP was giving me. I still haven't adjusted to the increase in calories and increase in carbs quite yet but only time will tell.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »

Neat site. Thanks for that.
  • milshawna
    milshawna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My guess is that they don't believe the numbers that mfp has given them. When I tell people what my calorie goal is for the day via mfp they tell me it's to high and that mfp always aims to high. I have been told this for years and buy several people. I was told today that I won't ever lose weight if I go by what mfp calculated.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    MFP has also been telling me for the past year almost everyday that I will be at my "goal weight" in 5 weeks if everyday were like today. Well needless to say I'm still not at my goal weight following what it recommends for my activity level. Yesturday I started IIFYM and was given a whole different set of numbers than MFP was giving me. I still haven't adjusted to the increase in calories and increase in carbs quite yet but only time will tell.

I'm confused--if eating at mfp's recommendations for a year hasn't gotten you to your goal weight yet, why do you think eating more is going to get you there sooner?
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    milshawna wrote: »
    My guess is that they don't believe the numbers that mfp has given them. When I tell people what my calorie goal is for the day via mfp they tell me it's to high and that mfp always aims to high. I have been told this for years and buy several people. I was told today that I won't ever lose weight if I go by what mfp calculated.

Even registered dietitians can give lower numbers than MFP. When I was diagnosed with diabetes four years ago I saw a RD at the hospital. (I didn't learn anything, my parents had been diabetic for decades and I did a lot of research online before going to see him, I'm fairly well educated, but seeing a pro never hurts to make sure you haven't learned woo) He wanted to put me on a 1700 calorie diet.

I'm ashamed to say I didn't follow his plan, or get back on here (I had an account) and gained 45 pounds, but MFP gave 2200 calories to start with, and now that I'm back at the weight I was four years ago I get 1910 calories, and that's a little low still, so I eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i think a bit of suspicion is a good thing when it comes to mfp recommendations. When I first started I was 250 and 5'6 and because i wanted to lose at a rate of 2 pounds a week it set me at 1200, which was really way to low for me. After reading forums and such in about 3 weeks I upped to 1400 and continued to lose at 2 pounds a week. The default for 1200 for 2 pounds regardless of size seems reckless.

It's not a default of 1,200 for 2 pounds regardless of size though. I'm not sure what happened in your case (sometimes there are bugs or whatever), but people do sometimes enter a goal of 2 pounds a week and get a calorie goal that is higher than 1,200.

yes 1200 for 250 and 5'6" seems weird because when I started I was 230lbs and I'm 5'3" and I got at least 1400 at sedentary
    Age is a factor. A woman at 250 and 5'6", born before 1964, will get 1200.

Right. Totally forgot about age for some reason.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    i think a bit of suspicion is a good thing when it comes to mfp recommendations. When I first started I was 250 and 5'6 and because i wanted to lose at a rate of 2 pounds a week it set me at 1200, which was really way to low for me. After reading forums and such in about 3 weeks I upped to 1400 and continued to lose at 2 pounds a week. The default for 1200 for 2 pounds regardless of size seems reckless.

It's not a default of 1,200 for 2 pounds regardless of size though. I'm not sure what happened in your case (sometimes there are bugs or whatever), but people do sometimes enter a goal of 2 pounds a week and get a calorie goal that is higher than 1,200.

Yes my husband gets to eat 2050 calories for instance.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    For a macro split