So, who's the strongest woman on MFP?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Ohai guise!

Thank you for all the votes :flowerforyou:

Just a shout out to all the ladies everywhere who strength train, whether it be bodyweight lifts or powerlifting type lifts, or any other resistance type training.

Remember that different people train for different goals and are at different stages in their lifting life. Just grabbing a few examples, while my lifts may be a touch higher than, for example Littleladylifter's, from a wilks perspective, she also does a lot of strongman stuff that is more endurance and quite frankly would kill me, plus she has a great physique. And other example, just above, is Lady_Bane who has a phenomenal physique and I would assume lifts in a way to achieve that, which is not necessarily pulling maxes. I am only using these two as examples and there are many more on this thread.

I would also like to encourage all women to strength train, in a manner in which they enjoy. I started doing compound lifts for the first time about a year ago when approaching my 45th birthday and I think I am stronger and in better shape than any time in my life. But that is what *I* enjoy and I had the very confidence boosting realization that I am strong. You don't have to do strength based compound lifts - but lift something and find what *you* enjoy.

[And yes Chris, I know...I need to get my butt to a meet:tongue: ]

OK, off my soapbox now...carry one.

You are a classy woman.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    there isn't really much of a negative stigma that I have to ignore either and I still find it challenging to stick with it.

I agree that all women should get in to some sort of lifting and/or strength training. I am going to be in the gym and it is a good motivator for me. (Totally not in a creepy way)

There's a negative stigma? I wasn't aware of that. Probably because I would *never* let someone like that into my life. :happy:
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    there isn't really much of a negative stigma that I have to ignore either and I still find it challenging to stick with it.

I agree that all women should get in to some sort of lifting and/or strength training. I am going to be in the gym and it is a good motivator for me. (Totally not in a creepy way)
    There's a negative stigma? I wasn't aware of that. Probably because I would *never* let someone like that into my life. :happy:
    Oh yeah if you hang out on the MFP forums long enough you will eventually hear about it. Some bonehead probably back in the bronze age decided that women should not lift heavy because they will look all bulky and masculine. I knew a guy in the army that was always saying crap like "Women should only do high rep low weight exercises."

Anyways to quote Kermit the Frog "somebody thought of it and someone believed and look what is has done so far."

To this day we still have people spewing this load of bull even though we have tons of women who are walking examples that it is wrong headed thinking.

I am not intimidated by a women who lifts at all and I wish more women would get involved in it both casually and professionally.
  • _KrisMarie_
    Options
    Ohai guise!

Just a shout out to all the ladies everywhere who strength train, whether it be bodyweight lifts or powerlifting type lifts, or any other resistance type training.

I would also like to encourage all women to strength train, in a manner in which they enjoy. I started doing compound lifts for the first time about a year ago when approaching my 45th birthday and I think I am stronger and in better shape than any time in my life. But that is what *I* enjoy and I had the very confidence boosting realization that I am strong. You don't have to do strength based compound lifts - but lift something and find what *you* enjoy.

Thanks for that, Sara! I don't lift much; just to balance out the climbing, and I doubt I'd ever be into lifting, but I am strong, and I love that feeling! Find what you love, whatever type of strength training it is, and go for it, ladies!

:smile:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It's the incessant self-promotion spamming and simultaneous selling of a $600 diet/fitness program that got her in trouble. Also, telling fat people to starve themselves wasn't cool either.

Meh. Its not what you say, its how you say it. :flowerforyou:

She has never once told anyone to starve themselves, but I'm sure she didn't tell them you HAVE to eat over 1200 calories either, and while she uses the products she talks about I've never ever EVER seen her try to sell anyone said product. It works for her so she pasionate about it. She tells you what works for her and lets you decide if you want to follow her or not. Girlfriend has more friends on here than she has room to accept them. She is one amazing person and only in my dreams could I ever look like her, even if I did lift. And yes I'm on her friends list and she has never ever tried to sell me anything, and she's never told me to starve myself. Jealous people will hate all day long
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It's the incessant self-promotion spamming and simultaneous selling of a $600 diet/fitness program that got her in trouble. Also, telling fat people to starve themselves wasn't cool either.

Meh. Its not what you say, its how you say it. :flowerforyou:

She has never once told anyone to starve themselves, but I'm sure she didn't tell them you HAVE to eat over 1200 calories either, and while she uses the products she talks about I've never ever EVER seen her try to sell anyone said product. It works for her so she pasionate about it. She tells you what works for her and lets you decide if you want to follow her or not. Girlfriend has more friends on here than she has room to accept them. She is one amazing person and only in my dreams could I ever look like her, even if I did lift. And yes I'm on her friends list and she has never ever tried to sell me anything, and she's never told me to starve myself. Jealous people will hate all day long

You have your opinion and the rest of us have our's. Let's stop derailing.

Okay..back on topic with the awesome lifting women...
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Heatherloveslily looks pretty strong to me.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Tagging so I can come back and update after today's 1RM test. Last tested maxes were:

67.5kg Squat
    52.5kg Bench
    80kg Deadlift
    40kg OHP

At 69kg weight so 201 Wilks for the Big Three and 241 for the Super Four.

Two and a half months ago after two months of barbell training and 4kg heavier on the day (stupid bloating or I would be 1kg lighter). Hoping to increase all of them (and 99% sure I will).

Increased squat and deadlift, stuck on bench and didn't test OHP.

Revised 1RMs at 64.9kg after lifting for four months:

Squat 85kg
    Bench 52.5kg
    Deadlift 90kg
    OHP 40kg
  • MonsterToBe
    MonsterToBe Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What a great thread, and I'm so flattered by the shout outs (and thanks to BikerGirlElaine for telling me about the thread)!

My vote also has to go to Sara, and I'm thrilled she's finally going to get out there and compete!! Since I'm only a few years younger than she is, she's an immense inspiration to me of what can be achieved despite not being a 20-year-old guy. lol

I love seeing how many women are lifting heavy and loving it, whether they're doing it for physique, pure strength, or just overall health. I can't encourage lifting for women strongly enough -- there just aren't words to convey how much better life is when you're stronger! I spent years feeling betrayed by my body and battling it, feeling it deteriorate, having to rely on other people to help me do basic things. Now my body is my ally, and I love it! I love carrying in all the groceries at once. I love the badass feeling I get after a heavy deadlift. I love looking in the mirror and discovering new firmness, sweeter curves, new taut lines emerging from where they were hiding. I love shrinking into new sizes of clothing while the scale stays the same! I love when my husband absentmindedly gives my arm or leg an affectionate squeeze and it surprises him into an appreciative sound.

Seriously, it seems like the benefits of lifting just never end. To anyone who may be wavering and wondering whether it's for them, I'd encourage you to commit to a regular program for 3 months. If you follow through on that commitment, I bet the results will sell you on it far better than anything we could ever say.

My current gym PRs:

Squat: 265 lbs
    Bench: 130 lbs
    Deadlift: 325 lbs
    OHP: 80 lbs

Bodyweight: 196 lbs

wilks: 315

Best meet wilks is 266, and I'm looking to bring it up to the neighborhood of 300 in October.
  • curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This thread is so awesome! So many inspiring stats.... I am NOWHERE near any of these ladies. This gives me a lot to look up to - it's amazing to see such strong people and think that one day I could be there too!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Ohai guise!

Remember that different people train for different goals and are at different stages in their lifting life. Just grabbing a few examples, while my lifts may be a touch higher than, for example Littleladylifter's, from a wilks perspective, she also does a lot of strongman stuff that is more endurance and quite frankly would kill me, plus she has a great physique. And other example, just above, is Lady_Bane who has a phenomenal physique and I would assume lifts in a way to achieve that, which is not necessarily pulling maxes. I am only using these two as examples and there are many more on this thread.

I think you hit on some very good points. The question was who is the strongest woman on MFP and the first name that popped in to my mind was Yo_Lazarov and I still stand by her as a solid nomination but then I realized. She is a body builder. She focuses her goals around achieving a specific look and not around lifting a specific number. It is entirely conceivable that a women could life more than Yo_Lazarov and look completely different because her goals would be centered around just lifting more.

In the end I think it is impressive when anyone is able to stick with the discipline required to lift heavy weight. I am not a women so I am supposed to have more upper torso strength naturally and there isn't really much of a negative stigma that I have to ignore either and I still find it challenging to stick with it.

This is true. From the vids I've seen on YT, Yo is all about TUT as a bb typically is not full ROM strength training ala PL style. Have a look at pro bbers doing many many 3" ROM bench presses with zero lockout and doesn't touch the chest. Great for keeping the muscles under tension, however not comparable for outright strength. Same reason, squats must be to parallel and no hitching on DL's (although this is definitely a strongman/woman thing)

And not hating BTW. Different people have different goals.

Sara: YES you should get to a meet! Best way to increase motivation tenfold IMO! (and for me to feel like a weakling who needs to train HARDER!!!! :devil: )

And RESPECT to all of the strong ladies in here. Doesn't matter where you are at as long as you are improving.

Never strong enough :happy:
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    110/72.5/142.5 SQ/B/DL (KG/RAW) @ 70kg

Don’t fear the weights ladies :smile:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Well it's definitely Sara, hands down. She constantly amazes me.

And it's certainly not me. But I'm not so bad either I guess. I'm getting there through preseverance.

Wilks= 184.615
    Bench= 82.5 lb
    Squat= 135lb
    Deadlift= 150 lb
    OHPs= 60 lb

4' 10 1/2" tall and range between 130-135 lb right now.
  • _DreDay_
    _DreDay_ Posts: 40
    Options
    Ohai guise!

:heart: Well said. You are not only strong, you are also an awesome person. :flowerforyou:

^^^THIS :flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Wilks on this this someone?

Strong!

Thanks for kgs hehe
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the votes my friends ;) Made my day. Good job ladies.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I think of Sara and reflect on her lifts.... I have images of grown men being lifted over her head, Brought smoothly off the floor to her thigh level, Perched on her shoulders while squatting. Then in a strange plot twist when my imagination takes over she sometimes twirls them over her head and other times hold them by the feet while spinning them around and throwing them like a discus. For these reasons and because I have yet to see someone on here who can do all the lifts to the weight of a grown man I'd date, while simultaneously maintaining a figure I'd like to have while getting those dates. Sara is my choice. The same Sara being referred to here by everyone.

Funny-captions-gtfo.jpg

❤❤❤
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Wilks on this this someone?

Strong!

Thanks for kgs hehe

About 323

Agree on the kg too!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    The strongest woman is the person who just started their journey today, at this moment. The first step is always the hardest.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ItsCasey
    Lupercalia

Strong women not on MFP but worthy of mention:

Melody Schoenfeld
    The ladies at GirlsGoneStrong
    Fawn Friday