Options

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 are there any diving shops around you? My advice from my snorkeling days would be way to out of date at this point since it's been 20ish years since I was an active snorkeler.

Thanks for your insight. I think the closest is an hour and a half away. I need a tri shop, if there's such a thing. Come to think of it, there may be a diving shop in town.. they scuba out at the local lake... my husband use to dive in his youth. I'll check into it. Thanks!

@elise4270 I know it is quite a drive for you, but there is a Tri shop just down the road from me. I am actually going to a clinic next Monday night at 630pm.

Also, I am going to start training at the senior center pool starting next week! I'm actually excited.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Do folks here do a fair share of virtual races, or is the AIM one kind of a one-time special deal?

It is the only one I have ever done in my life. :)

I thought it was quite clever! I didn't know such things existed. What a great way to support a cause when you can't fly to Hawaii and run!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Do folks here do a fair share of virtual races, or is the AIM one kind of a one-time special deal?

Virtual races are the only races I do. :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

To be honest, I have no interest in any virtual race EXCEPT the AIM 5K because there's a personal connection. I had no hesitation signing up for this one. There's a certain energy and excitement about being at physical race which would be missing for me but this particular race was bigger than that.

They are a great option for those who prefer them, or who don't live in a area which gives them access to races.
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom you are awesome for getting up in that Colorado air first thing in the morning to run. You would have thought I had never lived there because the gauge said 40 this morning when I was supposed to go and I said "NOPE". I get off early today so I am going to go before the boys' swimming lessons.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 -

a bit late to respond but.....I would just use a standard snorkel, no special parts, maybe one with a non-return valve at the base to help breathe out. Also consider how you are going to secure it - Is it going to be used with the goggles or a diving mask?

I've not heard of snorkels being used in tri-training or races. I would have thought it wouldn't actually help you to train properly.

goggles - clean first with a bit of toothpaste. Reduce fog by using baby shampoo and rinsing out. You can get special anti-fog spray for goggles and I recommend it.

One of the best things I have done is had some openwater swim training - any tri-specific instructor should be able to help - turns and sighting are key skills as is breathing (hence why the snorkel is a strange idea). Learning to bilateral breathe so you can breathe on either side when required is a key skill.

I say all of this and I haven't been in the water for ages!!!
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @girlinahat great advice. Thanks. I know it was for Elise, but I butted in. :-)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 are there any diving shops around you? My advice from my snorkeling days would be way to out of date at this point since it's been 20ish years since I was an active snorkeler.

Thanks for your insight. I think the closest is an hour and a half away. I need a tri shop, if there's such a thing. Come to think of it, there may be a diving shop in town.. they scuba out at the local lake... my husband use to dive in his youth. I'll check into it. Thanks!

@elise4270 I know it is quite a drive for you, but there is a Tri shop just down the road from me. I am actually going to a clinic next Monday night at 630pm.

Also, I am going to start training at the senior center pool starting next week! I'm actually excited.

I have a Dr visit November 17th and will be down that way. I'd definitely like to stop in and see what I can learn (or buy).

What's the name of it?

ETA @girlinahat Thanks for the information! If I'm working on form and strength, it's hard to also time breathing. I tend to give myself a headache by not breathing often enough. Then I got this crick in my neck and it made turning my head painful. I did some PT and it's better. I figured if I can get a strong form down, I can incorporate breathing a bit easier. *Shrugs* it's just a theory.
  • girlinahat
    Options
    So, my running vacation weekend.

Got there on the Friday and the four of us attending started sizing each other up by asking about running background. I figured with one of the pack having done no more than a 10k and me having done a HM, I'd be okay.

We did a run Friday night and it was clear I would be the slowest of the group. Hoped I could find some other skills.

Saturday morning we went out with a guy who runs barefoot, and is into motion and movement - running 27 miles without actually training. He is big into breathing techniques and muscle activation, so there were some 'out-there' theories going on (yes, we all talked politics on Saturday night, US in particular. No, we weren't complimentary)

Sunday we went out again, but asked if we could do more technique training - up hills and downhills in particular. That was useful and probably it would have been good to do that the day before to practice!!

Again, I was seriously the slowest in the group, and walked the ups, because, screw that, I can walk up hills just as fast as I can run AND I can hold a conversation which I can't running.

All in all it was a good weekend, but it brought out a few things in me which I am going to outline in a separate post. I could use some advice.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but for some reason I can picture @Elise4270 walking through Walmart doing her grocery shopping in all that pool gear. :grey_question::smirk:

I feel like junk. I will still attempt another run tonight because I can't run Wed/Thur and Fri-Sun does not look promising due to the fact that I'll be doing the other half of the carpet cleaning project and likely won't be able to move again. Haha. Also next Monday I have an event that will get in the way of my running. Aargh. Obviously the answer here is that I start morning running again but I'm not dealing with that right now. Hubby and I have a system going in the mornings right now and I'm not messing with it.

I have only done virtual races when it meant something to somebody that I support their cause :) Otherwise I don't do races, virtual or otherwise.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @girlinahat great advice. Thanks. I know it was for Elise, but I butted in. :-)

Alright with me. I know we're runners. So it's nice to see others interested in swimming.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I don't know why but for some reason I can picture @Elise4270 walking through Walmart doing her grocery shopping in all that pool gear. :grey_question::smirk:

I feel like junk. I will still attempt another run tonight because I can't run Wed/Thur and Fri-Sun does not look promising due to the fact that I'll be doing the other half of the carpet cleaning project and likely won't be able to move again. Haha. Also next Monday I have an event that will get in the way of my running. Aargh. Obviously the answer here is that I start morning running again but I'm not dealing with that right now. Hubby and I have a system going in the mornings right now and I'm not messing with it.

I have only done virtual races when it meant something to somebody that I support their cause :) Otherwise I don't do races, virtual or otherwise.

Lol! You want I can come by and help with that carpet cleaning, in my swimy stuff, if you take me to Walmart afterwards
  • girlinahat
    Options
    So. My running weekend. I discovered my special power. It's not a skill I want to practice, develop or repeat.

It would appear that I am very good at hyperventilating when running. The first attack happened when i was right at the back of the pack, trying to keep up, and berating myself for being slow, and despite having been running a couple of years now still getting slower, and how other people don't run as slow as me, and how that stooopid saying about how 'ah yes, you may be slow but you are at least lapping the 98% of the people on the couch' is a REALLY irritating saying because, yes, I KNOW I'm better than them, but I want to be a proper runner, not someone who the only good thing you can say about her is that at least she isn't a lardy-a$%

Obviously berating yourself for being slow when you are in the middle of a panic attack is not a recognised solution to what is actually pretty terrifying. The feeling that despite some horrible sounding hollow breathing what you are NOT getting into your body are the key components necessary to sustain life. and around and around it goes.

Barefoot bloke helped me a bit, by giving me something to sniff. The nearest thing was horse-poop but hey it worked (I'm exaggerating, he just TOLD me to sniff something in the air, and that's what I got).

But now I have this special power, I seem to spend several moments during each running session testing it out. I did it again on Sunday, fixed it, walked happily up a hill chatting, then reached the group, they asked if I was okay and BAM, chest tightens, and I have to run away from them to stop those FEELINGS of INADEQUACY pumping up my special power.

So, good people of MFP. I need your help. Help me find a special power that is more useful and less noisy than this. Help me get rid of those thoughts that make me feel like the worst person in the world. I'm an adult for heaven's sake, I should be able to deal with the odd hill or people going faster than me.

the only tiny teeny glimmer of greatness I have is that I beat all of them down the hill. But I can't always be going downhill, and honestly, doing 14 minute miles for the rest of my life is going to lead me to find another sport.

• girlinahat
    Options

ETA @girlinahat Thanks for the information! If I'm working on form and strength, it's hard to also time breathing. I tend to give myself a headache by not breathing often enough. Then I got this crick in my neck and it made turning my head painful. I did some PT and it's better. I figured if I can get a strong form down, I can incorporate breathing a bit easier. *Shrugs* it's just a theory.

Things I was taught -

breathe every two strokes. That may sound like a lot, but it helps.

Don't turn your head, roll your body more - check out videos of swimsmooth technique on that.

slow down. We say it to new runners all the time but the same goes for swimming. You can cover MORE distance faster and longer if you actually slow, glide, and get form and breathing at the sweet spot. There's something called a SWOLF score which combines your speed with your strokes or something. The lower the score the better. Less strokes over a greater distance is what you want.

• Elise4270
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

Things I was taught -

breathe every two strokes. That may sound like a lot, but it helps.

Don't turn your head, roll your body more - check out videos of swimsmooth technique on that.

slow down. We say it to new runners all the time but the same goes for swimming. You can cover MORE distance faster and longer if you actually slow, glide, and get form and breathing at the sweet spot. There's something called a SWOLF score which combines your speed with your strokes or something. The lower the score the better. Less strokes over a greater distance is what you want.

Ooooh thanks! You're such a fantactic help! I saw SWOLF on my Garmin, but had no idea what it was.
  • seanevan10
    Options

I have a Dr visit November 17th and will be down that way. I'd definitely like to stop in and see what I can learn (or buy).

What's the name of it?

PlayTri. They have a couple of locations. I will also let you know how the workshop/clinic goes on Monday night.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

1st October - 0 Miles
    2nd October - 0 Miles
    3rd October - 1.1 Miles @ 8:12/mi (testing injury)
    4th October - 5 Miles @ 7:18/mi
    5th October - 0 Miles
    6th October - 1.8 Miles @ 10:57/mi (Coaching)
    7th October - 0 Miles
    8th October - 19 Miles @ 8:47/mi
    9th October - 0 Miles
    10th October - 5 Miles @ 7:13/mi
    11th October - 0 Miles
    12th October - 5 Miles (Minus 5 miles - Niggle)
    13th October - 3.12 Miles (Minus 3.12 miles - Niggle)
    14th October - 0 Miles
    15th October - 15 Miles 5 miles @ 7:45/mi (Minus 10 miles - Hangover & Niggle)
    16th October - 0 Miles
    17th October - 6 Miles 3 miles @ 7:04/mi (Minus 3 miles - Niggle just about still there)

Bit of a flop last week and a bit as I have been fighting a bit of a niggle. #weddingfuntimeshangoversandinjuries

The following are to be completed.

18th October - 5 miles * ADDED 5 catch up miles
    19th October - 8 Miles * ADDED 2 catch up mile
    20th October - 5 Miles * ADDED 2 catch up mile
    21st October - 0 Miles
    22nd October - 20 Miles
    23rd October - 0 Miles
    24th October - 9 Miles * ADDED 1 catch up mile
    25th October - 0 Miles
    26th October - 9 Miles
    27th October - 5 Miles * ADDED 2 catch up miles
    28th October - 0 Miles
    29th October - 22.1 Miles
    30th October - 0 Miles
    31st October - 11 Miles * ADDED 3 catch up miles

To clarify this has me at 39.9 completed out of 134 miles target now.

Should be fun playing catch up. I don't think I will now hit the total, but will do my best!

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    10/1 rest
    10/2 5.5miles 50m:22s
    10/3 5miles 45m:30s
    10/4 9miles 1h:24m:02s
    10/5 6miles 55:m:30s
    10/6 11miles 1h:45m:40s
    10/7 4miles 38m:39s
    10/8 rest
    10/9 6.56miles 61m:30s
    10/10 5miles 47m:01s
    10/11 7miles 1h:06m:10s
    10/12 4.42miles 48m:00s
    10/13 12miles 1h:53m:24s
    10/15 5miles 48m:31s
    10/16 rest
    10/17 5.8miles 55m:37s
    10/18 7miles 64m:13s

Great run this morning. It was a bit chilly! I decided to keep my sweatshirt on. Ended up ditching/hiding it about 1 mile into my run. It was still there when I got back so yeah! I figured if someone took it they needed it far more than I did and I was ok with that, although it was one of my favorites.

Tomorrow 9 miles and it’s not even my long run :neutral: