October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bah. Planed a long run for today, but got stuck at a store for several hours waiting on various things and lost my chance. :disappointed:

BTW - This is why I try to run 7 days a week because I KNOW that there will be days I can not. If I only planned to run a few days a week, and life happens so that I miss one or more of those few days, then I get NO runs in that week. By getting up every day and trying t plan a run, I can almost always get at least 3 or 4 runs in a week in. Sometimes I end up on a 7+ day streak, but I can always choose to take a rest day when that happens.

Anyways... that is just how I do it. YMMV and all that. But it is something to consider for those of you like me with many random things drawing your time away from you.

I have a very similar idea of planning my runs. Most days I assume I will be running, unless my schedule is completely packed and I know for sure a run won't happen. So at the beginning of October I ran 8 days in a row, which was needed, because then I had a 5 days non-running streak. I completely understand your frustration when a run does not happen due to some random things.
  • Runningmischka
    Options
    @mustb60 way to meet your goal already! Great running :smile:
  • Runningmischka
    Options
    @hjeppley congrats on your 5k! And grats to your boy, wow! That's super impressive!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley Well done! and Congrats to your boy, wow!!!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley NIce work on your 5k. My seven year old wants to train for one but we need to wait until soccer season ends.
    3.5 miles on elliptical this am. Pushed it a little and not feeling adverse effect.

exercise.png
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @mustb60 way to meet your goal already! Great running :smile:

Thank you! I had to finish up early as I am going on a vacation in the last week.
    Have a fantastic week every one!!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This morning was supposed to be an easy 4.5. Instead it was a 1 that told me the cramp in my calf after the 7 on Saturday is a little more than a cramp. I had to stop running and walk/hobble home. :/ No bueno. As soon as I hit the balls of my feet to go up a hill, my whole calf just seized up.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good outing for the Ultra @MNLittleFinn !!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - isn’t the steering wheel adjustment pretty much the same on all cars? (ie. a lever just below the shaft)? I have a Fit (Jazz we call it) and think it’s the same. Having said that, I don’t recommend steering wheel adjustment in a moving vehicle....

Here’s a quirk with measurements. Mazda have their own very special calculations for fuel usage. They give a figure for Miles per 100 Litres. So that’s a Japanese manufacturer, for the European (probably same in the US) market, trying to do what exactly?!!!!

That was me. No, the steering wheel adjustment lever isn't in the same place on every vehicle. It's somewhere on the steering shaft, but where and what it feels like vary by manufacturer. A simple up/down I could have managed while driving; I've found that in rental cars. But the Fit has up/down and telescope. I didn't know it moved with that complexity until I dug out the owner's manual, and I certainly wouldn't want to mess with that while moving. However, if I'd known where the lever was it would have been an option to pull over and adjust.

you know what - you are SO right!!! The lever is much lower than on other vehicles.

plus - I had NO idea it had a telescopic adjustment. That really made my day (especially with an early start and a colleague having a hissy fit the minute I got in and a very unpleasant first hour of the day) thank you!!!!

Honda are wonderful designers, they really think of everything. Pockets where you need them, littles lights and adjustments. Now if they would just start making their cars a BIT more exciting........ ;)

• Runningmischka
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind word! This is one of the reasons why I love this group - you could be gone for days, then come back and receive nothing but support and encouragement. I <3 runners!

@skippygirlsmom racing in Baltimore/Washington DC area is really expensive. Even something like 10k across the bay bridge is around $75. I've done that race once and never again! Running with 25,000+ other people is not as fun as it might sound actually. Now I am seeking local races more often than not.
    And what a lovely note from Skip :smile: Those little things and special moments is really what love is about!

Quick question for trail runners. I would like to run a 15k trail race in about 3 weeks or so, and while I am not concerned about the distance, I have hesitations about the course itself since I've never ran a trail route this long. Is it too ambitious of me to attempt this race with only 3 weeks of training? I can also try 5k or 10k. The registration is the same for all 3 distances, so I just need to commit to one. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. And be brutally honest if you don't think I can do it - I will take no offense :wink:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Thanks for the info in the IQ connect. I'll have to look closer at it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    0/1- 6 miles+ doggie walking
    10/2-P90X3 Total Synergystics+ doggie walking
    10/3-P90X3 Agility +7.1 hilly miles
    10/4- P90X3 yoga + hour of walking the pup
    10/5-45 minute weight training+5 miles+15 min doggie walk
    10/6- P90X3 Dynamix + 50 minutes of doggie walking
    10/7-10 miles + 25 minutes doggie walking with some little jogs thrown in
    10/8-P90X3 Challenge (push up/pull up marathon) + 1.4 miles with Stella in the rain
    10/9 4.5 miles + 40 minutes walking with doggie
    10/10- 4.2 miles lunchtime+ 2.3 miles on treadmill+30 minutes strength (core and chest)+ 40 min w/ doggie
    10/11-25 minutes yoga + doggie walks
    10/12-Rest/travel day
    10/13-7.2 miles-leg #10 Bourbon Chase
    10/14-5.4 miles@3Am+6.7 miles 3PM legs 22 and 34 Bourbon Chase
    10/15-Rest/travel day
    10/16-45 minutes walking the dog
    10/17- 6 miles + 20 minutes dog walking
    10/18-AM strength training (leg day!) + 4.9 miles+15 minutes walking doggie
    10/19-5.6 miles + doggie walking
    10/20-Rest Day
    10/21-4.5 miles
    10/22-13 miles

93.8/100

Just a quick check in to update my mileage from the weekend. Had some amazingly beautiful weather in Pittsburgh which made for fantastic fall runs, including some trails. And thanks to a decrease in expectations, I will likely make my goal this month for the first time in ages.

Not gonna be able to catch up with all that happened over the weekend, but just scanning through I saw some serious grit being demonstrated here!

@midwesterner85 - Way to go on your first full marathon. kudos to you for finishing despite having to deal with an added obstacle.

@MNLittleFinn - You are a beast, man. Congrats on finishing your first Ultra!! Haven't read the report yet, but looking forward to it!