October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - isn’t the steering wheel adjustment pretty much the same on all cars? (ie. a lever just below the shaft)? I have a Fit (Jazz we call it) and think it’s the same. Having said that, I don’t recommend steering wheel adjustment in a moving vehicle....

Here’s a quirk with measurements. Mazda have their own very special calculations for fuel usage. They give a figure for Miles per 100 Litres. So that’s a Japanese manufacturer, for the European (probably same in the US) market, trying to do what exactly?!!!!

That was me. No, the steering wheel adjustment lever isn't in the same place on every vehicle. It's somewhere on the steering shaft, but where and what it feels like vary by manufacturer. A simple up/down I could have managed while driving; I've found that in rental cars. But the Fit has up/down and telescope. I didn't know it moved with that complexity until I dug out the owner's manual, and I certainly wouldn't want to mess with that while moving. However, if I'd known where the lever was it would have been an option to pull over and adjust.

It could be friendlier to find, but I wouldn't rate that very high on the list of engineering priorities. After all, this is an adjustment I expect most owners will make once during the lifetime of the car. It would be used more often if the car is driven by two people who need the wheel in different positions; but I will be the only driver of this car (other than mechanics) for the foreseeable future.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn congrats on your 100k, you ultra guys are a different breed entirely.
    @amymoreorless there is a distinct possibility that when you run your marathon you may feel the same about the distance as you do now. You may not be a marathon runner. You won't know for sure until you've done yours and your after the race thinking "I can do better, when can I do another?" or "This isn't for me. I did not enjoy the last 6 miles at all."
    Rest day today followed by an recovery week with my new 3n3 training. Which will alternate run days with cross training days. I want to work on my 10k time. I'm pretty sure I can do a sub 50 so the goal is sub 45. The biggest race in Western Mass is The Holyoke St. Patrick's Day road race. This race will be my target, it has great sentimental value and my youngest brother should be racing that day and every other runner I know in the area.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    10/22 = 18 miles
    OMG you guys. Running 18 miles is really, really, really hard. My everything hurts right now and I can’t move. Why do I want to run a marathon? I was barely shuffling at mile 18. I am going to die trying to run 26!
    Go you! Now I feel like a wuss for bitching and moaning about running 18. :)
    garygse wrote: »
    @amymoreorless The first time you run it, it's hard. Then you run the 20, and that feels hard while the 18 feels not so hard. And then you run another 20, and the 18 feels a little less hard than before while the 20 still probably feels hard. Rinse, lather, repeat, and add in the fact that you tend to run these long runs on tired legs, you'll actually be in good shape for the marathon where you'll be fully fueled and properly rested, and miles 24-26 will feel like how mile 18 did today. You'll do just fine. :)
    Orphia wrote: »
    I like having this thread - it helps me think things through.
    @Orphia Summed up the conversation above perfectly - @amymoreorless Thinking it through and the support from @garygse .
    @MNLittleFinn Congratulations on your 100k. Beast mode good man.

Sept/Oct are usually the best running conditions due to weather and the conditioning from a summer of training.
    September - Good with 3 events and fantastic weather for all of them
    October - Has been a disaster for me. My MoJo left town after my last event and I have been struggling to move.
    The weather has been great and I have a grand total of 32km for the month :( It must be my Cut Back Month.

Just to add to my October Fun Like @Orphia I Tweaked my back on Friday, doing the high athletic feat of getting out of my truck - I stepped on a Frozen Slush pile ( that fell off another vehicle ) which then collapsed and I Lurched with one leg in the vehicle and one leg outside. Walking but no running as I can still feel the tenderness.
    Limited Running = Grumpy - Kinda like a Taper
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @midwesterner85 I'm so sorry about the BG issues, but still you completed the marathon. That is a huge accomplishment in and of itself and to do it despite the BG issues is awesome. Most people would have quit.

@MNLittleFinn Congrats on the 100k. I can't even imagine running that distance! You are a superstar!
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    October goal of 120 with a stretch of 150

Week 1: 39.2. (Previously missed run from 10/1 as I looked at weekly Strava info)
    Week 2: 43
    Week 3: 36.6 (Mtd: 118.8)

Upcoming week run will be sort of a mini taper leading up to Chicago’s Hot Chocolate 15k on Sunday. Will be fun running in the city with such a large crowd.

Congrats @MNLittleFinn on your 100k. Simply amazing and quite an accomplishment. Enjoy your recovery as you contemplate your next adventure!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Congrats @midwesterner85 on completing your marathon and @MNLittleFinn on your 100k. You guys are made of some seriously tough stuff.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/17 :::: 13.1 :::: 13.1
    10/02/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/03/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/04/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/05/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/07/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/09/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.1
    10/10/17 :::: 1.7 :::: 14.8
    10/11/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 14.8
    10/12/17 :::: 2.4 :::: 17.2
    10/13/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    10/14/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 20.5
    10/15/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.5
    10/16/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 20.5
    10/17/17 :::: 5.3 :::: 25.8
    10/18/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.8
    10/19/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 28.6
    10/20/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 28.6
    10/21/17 :::: 6.2 :::: 34.7
    10/22/17 :::: 5.4 :::: 40.2

Woke up to another gorgeous fall day. Although I slept really poorly last night and almost bailed on meeting my friends, I'm glad I did. The run this morning was great and just what I needed for the anxiety stuff that was keeping me up.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Congrats on the 100k, that's my goal for the entire month!
    @midwesterner85 you are awesome and inspiring! It sucks your marathon didn't go as planned but you finished when others would have quit.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oct. 22 - 4.18km
    MTD - 75.5km/100km
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 sorry to hear your marathon didnt go as planned. Great job toughing it out!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @midwesterner85 ! Such an amazing accomplishment!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Finished 16 minutes after cut off. The course was nasty, mud was really awful. My legs are totally trashed, but I did 100k

YOU FINISHED ONE HUNDRED FLIPPING K! YOUSA ROCKSTAR!

Ditto @MNLittleFinn !
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn BIG congrats on your 100K, can't wait to hear all about it. I would have to think a race report on that distance would take about 2 days to write :wink:
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Sorry your mojo has disappeared @juliet3455 Hope it comes back soon.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - I'm always impressed by people who start having a rough time early and still manage to finish a marathon. Good job! And, you got to see beautiful, scenic Hebron, Nebraska! (For those on the coasts, what passes for rural in upstate NY makes the land around Hebron look like the middle of nowhere.)
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the hell happened because I swear I replied to @juliet3455 . Can you get out more with your trail group while the snow is at bay? Sometimes the grpup dynamic will force you out more. Our town's group is decidedly team "off season". Uhhh the hell is this off of which you speak? lol
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat "Miles per 100 Litres", wth? That's one weird unit! And I already was confused when an (American, obviously ^^) colleague tried to convince me his SUV didn't use much more fuel than my little car. We both struggled to compare his "between 20-25 miles per gallon" and my "6-7 litres per 100km". Good thing google can answer these kind of questions within seconds. Whatever did people do before the internet? :wink:
    Although my car is a Mazda, and the info display does show me the consumption in litres/100km. So maybe it's a setting you can change?

@midwesterner85 Oh no, what bad luck that you had blood sugar problems today of all days! It's so impressive that you still finished your marathon. It wasn't the race you've been dreaming of, but you still have every right to be proud of yourself!

@amymoreorless As garygse wrote - the next time 18 will be a little less horrible :D Last year I did three ~20mi runs, and the third one was A LOT easier than the first.

@MobyCarp Looks like a beautiful place and day for a run!

@anitamistry1 I hope your foot isn't seriously injured. Hopefully a few days of rest will fix it in no time!

@MNLittleFinn Woohoo!! I am so amazed by your race - I can't even imagine ever running 100km. Huge kudos on finishing, can't wait to read more about it!

@juliet3455 Sorry to hear about your back. I wish you a speedy recovery. And hopefully after a short rest, your running MoJo will return!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words. The most depressing part is that I really try not to let T1D affect my success or lack thereof in life. So when I have bad days at the worst time, it is doubly bad. In all reality, it would be easier to accept my terrible time if it were caused by anything else at all - getting struck by lightning, for example. It isn't just the terrible time... it is that the results are undeniable evidence of vulnerability and inferiority that I would like to believe do not even exist. I want to continue to think that I can do just as well at anything as anybody else, but I just can't continue to believe that anymore. That's the depressing part... to have to accept having a weakness.

@MobyCarp Yes, Hebron, NE is scenic and the run takes place on the Oregon Trail; but also the California Trail and Pony Express Trail go through that area. There is some history in that area. I've been hiking in NY, though, and I know there are some great scenic areas on the western border along the Delaware River.