October 18 - 16 km run /strength training
    October 19 - raining no run
    October 20 - 16.5 km run
    October 21 - 11.5 km run / strength training

Total km - 260 km out of 350 km
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    There are countries that use metric... and then there are world leaders who put a man on the moon, have visited every major planet in the solar system, and land rockets on moving platforms at sea, not to mention populating mars with robots... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
    @PastorVincent a bit late to comment maybe... I'm trying to catch up on the thread, and *have* to stop reading right at this point to defend the metric system before I can tackle the next 7 pages ;)
    Since you mentioned space stuff, did you know that the metric unites are used on the moon? Which is probably a good thing, so you won't get mess-ups like that Mars Orbiter where the mission failed because different groups involved in the project didn't use the same units.
    Or just from a running point of view: if somebody tells you that a hill has a 10% slope, and you want to figure out how much climbing that means, aren't considerations like "528 feet per 1 mile" a little messy? "100m per 1km" is much easier for me to deal with when I'm already oxygen-deprived from struggling up that hill.
    SI UNITS FOR THE WIN! :mrgreen:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    There are countries that use metric... and then there are world leaders who put a man on the moon, have visited every major planet in the solar system, and land rockets on moving platforms at sea, not to mention populating mars with robots... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
    @PastorVincent a bit late to comment maybe... I'm trying to catch up on the thread, and *have* to stop reading right at this point to defend the metric system before I can tackle the next 7 pages ;)
    Since you mentioned space stuff, did you know that the metric unites are used on the moon? Which is probably a good thing, so you won't get mess-ups like that Mars Orbiter where the mission failed because different groups involved in the project didn't use the same units.
    Or just from a running point of view: if somebody tells you that a hill has a 10% slope, and you want to figure out how much climbing that means, aren't considerations like "528 feet per 1 mile" a little messy? "100m per 1km" is much easier for me to deal with when I'm already oxygen-deprived from struggling up that hill.
    SI UNITS FOR THE WIN! :mrgreen:

You do not need to defend it to me... If I was supreme all-powerful leader dude I would be all for using the simplest system.

But here in the US, we use both systems AT THE SAME TIME. In all areas. Yes even in labs I have been in. The Mars Rover is the classic case of that. Cause you know, why waste perfectly good tools for the sack of billion-dollar space missions.

I think most people agree US should switch... in theory, but in practice, humans hate and fear change.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    Options
    You do not need to defend it to me... If I was supreme all-powerful leader dude I would be all for using the simplest system.

But here in the US, we use both systems AT THE SAME TIME. In all areas. Yes even in labs I have been in. The Mars Rover is the classic case of that. Cause you know, why waste perfectly good tools for the sack of billion-dollar space missions.

I think most people agree US should switch... in theory, but in practice, humans hate and fear change.
    I spent two semesters in Dublin (Ireland), and one older professor there insisted in asking his exam questions in inches, feet, yard, pound and whatever else weird unit he could think off. Drove me insane, since I knew a lot of the constants of nature by heart - but only in SI units, and converting everything back and forth took so much time. I think officially they started using metric units in textbooks in the 70s or 80s, by the time I was studying there also the speed limit signs where in km/h, but he just refused to change. I guess after officially switching to the metric system, you have to wait another 50 years until the majority of people uses it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for that. I was trying to remember the Mars Orbiter. That was one expensive mess up.

I grew up in the UK in the 70s, so I find myself switching between both systems. I will measure in metric, but use miles for distances (unless it's a 10k or 5k race of course). If I go hiking, mountains are always measured in feet. Oh, and in the summer, temperatures are always in Fahrenheit (70s sounds so much hotter than 30s), but in the winter I switch to Celsius (0 degrees is a darn sight colder than 32).

And like @girlinahat when I make my Christmas cake tomorrow, I will weigh out my ingredients in grams, but will put the resulting mixture into a 7" cake tin. Go figure.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @weat0043 I'm scared of the dark too. We don't have many dangerous animals, I think dogs or a rabid coyote/skunk, wild pig, or buck would be my worst encounter outside of the mental human being. I've come up on buck in daylight hours and it scared the poo out of me. Seriously I had to end my run because my guts wouldn't settle down. He didn't take much notice of me, but I keep picturing all the stories of buck attacks and how the hell was I gonna out run him.

@greenolivetree So glad you make it out yesterday. A walk is just a slow run. Walking is better than nothing. I should have settled for a walk yesterday, but I let aches and pains talk me into the couch, Hulu and and early bedtime.

@garygse @PastorVincent I'm waiting on my boss who's on Vaca to get back with me on the Garmin discount before I pull the trigger. I may wait until after I see the surgeon mid November. I'd hate to get a new toy and not be able to use it right away. You get it all figured out for us. :wink:
  • _nikkiwolf_
    edited October 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Having said all of that, you know the kilogram is getting lighter don't you?
    @girlinahat Don't worry, not for much longer! It will get re-defined in 2018.
    The new ideas are pretty cool stuff to read about, like counting the number of atoms in a Si sphere or using an electromagnetic balance. Much fancier than some old chunk of metal!

@shrcpr Pace groups can be really helpful - if they have a good pacer. Just keep in mind that you don't *have* to stay with them if you don't like it. During my first marathon, I stayed with the 4:30 pacer for a bit, but her pace was all over the place. She would run ahead of the group, stop at the sidelines to cheer as we ran by, then sprint after us to catch up. It was entertaining for a while, but not really helpful, so I decided to go my own pace in the second half of the race. The group consisted of 20 people in the beginning, I think only two stayed with her until the end. But that's just a worst-case example, I know most pacers run a much more consistant race!

@ddmom0811 When I fly later in the day, I always tried to get a run in first, to compensate for being stuck in a plane for hours without moving. I never knew that could be dangerous!

@girlinahat I've never experienced hyperventilation when running. Although one of the reasons I don't ever seriously considered joining a running club is that I'm so slow, and I wouldn't want to "let a group down", as you wrote. In fact, I think my fall beginning of September was because I was trying so hard to keep up with the group in my trail running vacation that I couldn't pay attention to the ground, I was struggling so much with the pace. Everyone told me they wouldn't mind running slower so that I could keep up, but hearing that and believing it are different things.
    I read a bit about breathing when I did a diving course many years ago. That was actually the only time I had a problem with hyperventilating (which was really inconvenient, because you go through the air supplies in the tank quite fast that way :o ). What helped me back then was the advice to focus on waiting a bit between exhale and inhale. Not really holding my breath, but just waiting a few seconds before the next inhale. "breath in, breath out, wait, breath in, ...". I forgot the exact reasoning, but it seems it's harder to stay panicked in an exhaled state. I don't know if that could also help you while running.

@MNLittleFinn , @midwestern85 and @seanevan10 All the best for your races tomorrow! After all this training, I'm sure you'll all do amazing!

exercise.png
  • icemaker1
    icemaker1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    78.5 miles down
    I am leaving town in a week to start a vacation. I should be able to get the rest of the miles done in the next week.
    @JessicaMcB I recently started listening to the ultrarunner podcasts. You crazy ultra runners are pretty inspiring. I am hoping to get my legs back so that I can start putting up some longer distances. So far, I have only done 1/2 marathons (and I am nowhere near that level of fitness yet). @MNLittleFinn - I wish you luck as well. Hope you have a great time!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/1 – 6 miles
    10/2 – rest day
    10/3 – 8 miles
    10/4 - 5 miles
    10/5 - 10 miles
    10/6 - 5 miles
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - rest day
    10/9 - 6 miles
    10/10 - 7 miles
    10/11 – rest day
    10/12 – 6 miles
    10/13 - unscheduled rest day
    10/14 - college visit with Skip
    10/15 - 3.1 miles for AIM
    10/16 - 6 miles
    10/17 - rest day - meet day so technically I ran 4 miles ha ha
    10/18 - 7 miles
    10/19 - 5 miles
    10/20 - rest day
    10/21 - 7 miles

81 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Pretty morning but I couldn't get my legs to work for me. I wanted to get 10 in this morning, but every mile was hard. I ran into my neighborhood running friend who runs all marathons and stopped for a minute to meet his wife. He told me to stop if the run was too much on my legs because it would only tire them more. By the time I saw him I was around mile 5. I headed towards home and got in 7.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - good tip on the breathing thing. When I learnt to scuba dive I was told by one instructor to remember I could always exhale - meaning you can exhale far longer than you realise. That’s a great way to calm your breathing and one I might try. Interestingly the first time I ever did the struggle to breathe thing was at 28m. Nothing like being at 28m and being desperate to have your next breath on the surface!! I think I got to 6m in about 2 minutes before I managed to come to my senses and not breach the surface! Needless to say there was some O2 administration and no diving the rest of the day after that! I did a dive the next day and spent the ENTIRE dive trembling with fear. As someone who is practically ASLEEP when ambling along at 40m that was quite a shock for me!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I heard a great tip on cold weather and hydration packs the other day - after taking a sip, blow back through the tube until you hear bubbles. That way it doesn’t freeze.

Ps. What is the ultrarunner podcast being talked about? I need to add it to my list of running podcasts. I’m still only on July 2013 of Trail Runner Nation....
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---5.00
    3---3.44
    6---3.46
    7---6.23
    10---2.54
    11---4.03
    12---13 IBS
    14---3.12 AiM for the Cure
    14---3.46
    15-17---sprained ankle
    18---bike
    19--- 4.14
    21---3.80 walk. Took forever. Why am I so sore? Hamburger? Frozen yogurt? Mmmm. Feed the soreness?

39.22/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/10-6.5
    2/10-10.1 (longest run to date, first time in double figures!)
    3/10-REST
    4/10-3.1 (running club)
    5/10-6.0
    6/10- T25 workout
    7/10-5.2 (parkrun)
    8/10-5.0
    9/10-REST
    10/10-4.5
    11/10-7.2 (running club)
    12/10-4.5
    13/10-6.6
    14/10-5.6
    15/10-REST
    16/10-6.5
    17/10-4.0
    18/10-3.4
    19/10-REST
    20/10-5.1
    21/10-3.4 (parkrun)

Total - 86.4/120 Miles
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @garygse @PastorVincent I'm waiting on my boss who's on Vaca to get back with me on the Garmin discount before I pull the trigger. I may wait until after I see the surgeon mid November. I'd hate to get a new toy and not be able to use it right away. You get it all figured out for us. :wink:
    Well, @garygse will have to tell you since he will have his in a couple days, I am not expecting mine for a couple weeks.

Will probably sell my AppleWatch after it comes though.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Having said all of that, you know the kilogram is getting lighter don't you?
    @girlinahat Don't worry, not for much longer! It will get re-defined in 2018.
    The new ideas are pretty cool stuff to read about, like counting the number of atoms in a Si sphere or using an electromagnetic balance. Much fancier than some old chunk of metal!

You think they will make up their minds by 2018? :smiley: Seems like everyone and their brother is making suggestions and holding them as the best one.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ -- I think it mainly happens with older people like me. You are too young for that to happen to. :smile:

Tomorrow is probably a 66 mile ride. I was going to maybe do the 100 miles but having seat issues and got a new bike seat - so a little risky to go 100 on it.

10/1 - 33 miles cycling; 1 mile run
    10/2 - rest day
    10/3 - 5.6 miles - birthday run!
    10/4 - strength training
    10/5 - 3.5 cut short by rain.
    10/6 - strength training
    10/7 - 44 miles cycling
    10/8 - 45 miles cycling
    10/9 - 4 miles
    10/10 - strength training
    10/11 - 4 miles
    10/12 - Strength training - tabatas - push ups/pull ups/sit ups and wall squats
    10/13 - rest day
    10/14 - 9 miles on bike - rained out… AIM at Melanoma 5K!
    10/15 - 48 miles cycling
    10/16 - 3 miles
    10/17 - rest day/surgery
    10/18 - 4.3 miles
    10/19 - 4.1 sluggish miles
    10/20 - strength training
    10/21 - 43 miles cycling

exercise.png

AIM at Melanoma 5k -- virtual participant - 10/14
    NYC Central Park - Abbott Dash to the Finish Line 5K - 11/4
    I/ITSEC 5K in Orlando - 11/29
    Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19