October 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Haha @juliet3455 I knew you'd be in on this vert discussion! Semi-related but have you run any of Brian Gallant's races in years past? I am so attracted to the Sinister triple even though I know I'm not a good enough runner :D
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @JessicaMcB No I haven't ran any of Brian's events - but of the 3 local's who do Ultra's they have great things to say about them. For me the Sinister Triple is just way out of my league. I think it is doable by you. Pick one to hit hard and then cruise the other 2 = Finish.
    Some members of our little club are starting to talk about something out on the east Coast for next year???. Throwing around various ideas. I would just follow along and hope for the best. One of our Ultra Ladies said she really enjoyed the Golden Ultra this year and that I would also. :o

Actually was planning/thinking about Reykjavik Iceland and then Norway as I have Family ties so a Vacation/Runcation and Family meet seems like a good option for me. Just trying to figure out events that won't destroy me ( can't fly if you have super trashed legs - Thrombosis Danger ).
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    I am seriously 100's of posts behind. I kept thinking I would have time to catch up but it is not going to happen and the month is over... I did not make my goal and am just getting back to running. Apparently I did some damage running in shoes with too much/wrong pronation correction. I saw the sports chiro last week and have taken some time off, with a few attempts at running that didn't go well. The good news is I had a pretty good run, following his advice on Saturday and again yesterday. I feel like I am starting over though, so slow and taking a walking break when needed. I will get back to where I was, he has nothing short of guaranteed it, so I will continue to take it slow and cut back my mileage for next month as well. I am also working way too much and traveling again this next week. This time to Montreal for the week. Hopefully I can get a workout in there in the hotel gym,,,

On the good side I ordered a pair of my favorite shoes from a tri store in Dubai. They gave me a discount so I ended up paying the normal price and essentially no shipping. They arrive in the midst of trick or treaters tonight! So excited to get out and run in them!
    x3zgaxzblr7p.jpg

Date........Miles.......Total
    10/01......0.00........0.00
    10/02......0.00........0.00
    10/03......4.49........4.49 - + Strength Training
    10/04......5.35........9.84
    10/05......2.63......12.47 - + Strength Training
    10/06......5.72......18.19
    10/07....10.38......28.57
    10/08......0.00......28.57
    10/09......0.00......28.57 - No agility due to fires
    10/10......3.74......32.31 - No Strength Training due to fires
    10/11......3.91......36.22
    10/12......0.00......36.22 - + Strength Training
    10/13......3.76......39.98
    10/14......8.39......48.37
    10/15......0.00......48.37 - to VA
    10/16......0.00......48.37
    10/17......0.00......48.37
    10/18......2.65......51.02 - Gym treadmill walk/run
    10/19......0.00......51.02
    10/20......0.00......51.02
    10/21......4.95......55.97 - Painful run then walk home
    10/22......2.12......58.09 - Dog Beach Sunday
    10/23......0.00......58.09 - + Agility
    10/24......0.00......58.09 - + Strength Training
    10/25......0.00......58.09
    10/26......0.00......58.09 - + Strength Training
    10/27......2.31......60.40 - Fast dog walk
    10/28......5.03......65.43 - 1st decent run in a few weeks
    10/29......0.00......65.43
    10/30......5.25......70.68 - good run, not great but ok! + Agility
    10/31......0.00......70.68 - + Strength Training

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run

12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    @dudasd1973 - shoes have a way of jumping in my bag and even more so in my online shopping cart. It’s a mystery. ;) I've become way too friendly with the UPS man. Wait ... not like that.

ah, maybe you can answer something then :D ......so UPS have trademarked the colour brown it seems, and their uniform including socks is brown. So, er, is ALL of their clothing brown I want to know? I'm too scared to ask the UPS man but since you have such a CLOSE relationship..... :D:D:D

LOL - no idea! And I'm not close enough to him to ask that one!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member

@ddmom0811 Lol, I never knew that was the full title of Strong Curves! That's one if the things I love about the kindle - nobody knows if I read a serious bio of some smutty romance that would have a real embarassing cover as paperback :D

LOL, I know! That's why I love the kindle too! But I am really finding that turning off electronics about an hour before bed is really helping me. I'm not nearly as tired!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »

@ddmom0811 Lol, I never knew that was the full title of Strong Curves! That's one if the things I love about the kindle - nobody knows if I read a serious bio of some smutty romance that would have a real embarassing cover as paperback :D

LOL, I know! That's why I love the kindle too! But I am really finding that turning off electronics about an hour before bed is really helping me. I'm not nearly as tired!

I have one of the old kindles, with no backlight, and no other functions. I LIKE the fact that if it gets too dark I need to find another lighting source or go to sleep, I LIKE the fact that I can ONLY read books on it, and don't find it an issue at night.

Trouble is, it is starting to lose its charge and I'll need to replace it, but the latest ones are all a bit too electronic for what I'm after (also I can't use a touchscreen in a waterproof case in the bath/on the beach)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I have one of the old kindles, with no backlight, and no other functions. I LIKE the fact that if it gets too dark I need to find another lighting source or go to sleep, I LIKE the fact that I can ONLY read books on it, and don't find it an issue at night.

Trouble is, it is starting to lose its charge and I'll need to replace it, but the latest ones are all a bit too electronic for what I'm after (also I can't use a touchscreen in a waterproof case in the bath/on the beach)
    Yeah, I really loved my 3rd generation Kindle. When the screen broke after six years of use, I wanted to have the same one again. I actually managed to get a used one on eBay - but I could never link it to my amazon account, because it was "reported lost or stolen". The seller insisted it was his and that he got it as a present from a girlfriend, who must have reported it stolen out of spite after they broke up, so he had no invoice but also refused to refund my money. I didn't really believe the story, but it had been cheap enough that I didn't want to invest the time and energy in trying to solve that. I tried to swap the screen to my old kindle and ended up with two broken ones instead :/
    I've got the "fancy" Kindle Voyage now. Tbh, the only advantage is has over my old kindle is that it automatically adjusts the brightness. But you can override it, so if it gets too dark to read, I can either switch on the light, or manually increase the display brightness again.
    Both this one and the old one I've used in the bath, and I never bought a waterproof case. As long as you don't drop it in the water and have a towel within reach to dry your hands if necessary, it should be fine.
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    edited November 2017
    10/1 - 1 mile
    10/2 - 3 miles
    10/3 - 0.5 miles
    10/4 - 2.1 miles
    10/5 - 1 mile
    10/6 - REST/STRENGTH
    10/7 - 2.5 miles
    10/8 - 4.25 miles
    10/9 - 4 miles
    10/10 - REST/STRENGTH
    10/11 - 4 miles
    10/12 - 3 miles
    10/13 - 1 mile
    10/14 - REST
    10/15 - 6 Miles
    10/16 - 4.1
    10/17 - REST
    10/18 - 1 mile
    10/19 - 2.6 miles
    10/20 - 2 mile
    10/21 - 2.6
    10/22 - 1 mile
    10/23 - 4.1 mile
    10/24 - 1.5 miles
    10/25 - REST
    10/26 - 3.5 miles
    10/27 - 1 mile
    10/28 - REST (traveled out of state, photographed a wedding)
    10/29 - 4.25 miles (GOOOOAL!) :smile:

I made it! Last month, I was only able to run 21 miles so I'm surprised I'm close to making this goal! Yay!

I want to thank everyone again for being supportive and encouraging me on this month. This is the first time in a *really long time* that I've followed through on a workout goal I set out to accomplish. I usually burn out, give up or find myself making excuses long before I reach this point.

So my biggest concern is the running in the colder months now that I'm entering November in Chicago! Because the weather was so nasty yesterday, I ran on a treadmill at the gym and HATED IT! I used to enjoy it, but this month showed me how much I love running outside as opposed to a treadmill. Anyone have any suggestions for clothing?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Looks like I ended up with 20.1 miles for Oct. I think my goal may have been 40. LOL I had a really busy month. Thank goodness I feel like this month will be calmer. I know holidays are coming but I just had some really big projects in October plus got sick, etc. I honestly feel I did my best and didn't just sit around skipping runs for no reason, so that's that. LOL
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Did OK on the running part, hit 99.06 miles of my 100 mile goal. Almost ran an extra mile around my office yesterday, just to say I hit it.

Seriously slacking / absent as a member of this group though. Sorry.

Hope you are all well!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited November 2017
    @LaurenFOB2301 I'm in southern Oklahoma so my weather isn't as bad as yours. There are others than can offer a more realistic solution. But I'll say start with a good base layer. I use smartwool (expensive) bit there are others that are a bit cheaper and so just as well if not better, like Hot Chilly's. I found ski wear to be ideal.it has to be 20-30 here and windy to wear these. I went with ski gloves by Burton, they have a removable liner so I can pull off the outer glove if I'm warm.

I'd also suggest a good coat that's waterproof. I have a cheep Colombia brand for hiking that works, a wind breaker for light drizzle but not freezing, and a Nike vest that's insanely warm- most the time I can't wear it here. But it's nice to warm up in and it folds in a pocket and can be carried.

I have a buff that's also very warm. Again too warm for most of my runs. But I like to layer my ears, they tend to hurt from the wind.

Good socks. Like smartwool. My feet are never cold with the thick socks. Or long stocking like wool socks.

My biggest challenge is understanding that it not that cold if I get out and get moving. I'll start with a mile loop close to home/car if I need to loose or add something.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited November 2017
    @midwesterner85 I'm sorry to see you leave, but your health is what is the utmost importance. Take care and we will definitely be here when you are ready to come back.
    @PastorVincent I'm sorry my Macy would have loved the dog treats. So last year we had 40+ kids come to the house, this year 3. Makes me sad.
    @Elise4270 Halloween pub crawl OMG what a great idea!
    @hjeppley that is the best GPS map I've seen in a long time, love the running circles.
    @shanaber pretty shoes!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 I'm in southern Oklahoma so my weather isn't as bad as yours. There are others than can offer a more realistic solution. But I'll say start with a good base layer. I use smartwool (expensive) bit there are others that are a bit cheaper and so just as well if not better, like Hot Chilly's. I found ski wear to be ideal.it has to be 20-30 here and windy to wear these. I went with ski gloves by Burton, they have a removable liner so I can pull off the outer glove if I'm warm.

I'd also suggest a good coat that's waterproof. I have a cheep Colombia brand for hiking that works, a wind breaker for light drizzle but not freezing, and a Nike vest that's insanely warm- most the time I can't wear it here. But it's nice to warm up in and it folds in a pocket and can be carried.

I have a buff that's also very warm. Again too warm for most of my runs. But I like to layer my ears, they tend to hurt from the wind.

Good socks. Like smartwool. My feet are never cold with the thick socks. Or long stocking like wool socks.

My biggest challenge is understanding that it not that cold if I get out and get moving. I'll start with a mile loop close to home/car if I need to loose or add something.

Layers are huge... but I would say this. If are not at least a little cold when you START your run, you are overdressed and going to be hot. You need fewer layers than you think, maybe more (or less) than others - everyone is different, but most people way overdress until they get used to starting cold.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »

ETA I haven't heard of anyone here using Vaseline on their faces, but I use it in cool windy conditions to keep my face from chapping.