WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    M in Oz – I don’t use the app on my phone other than when we are out-of-town, only to post something in my food each day so I don’t look my days running. Just a P.I.T.A. to use it; but, I use it on my laptop and open up a WPP to type my response, then cut and paste them to the last page. It is just easier for me that way. I also go back and find my last post and scroll back a few to make sure I don’t miss something posted about the time I posted.

Joyce – We were introduced to ‘New Math’ in 6th grade; with a teacher who had absolutely NO CONCEPT of how to do it other than ‘what she thought’. We all hated it. Only if you are an IT does it really do you any good. If you know your math tables that is all that matters. I’m sure it is also good if you are an ‘engineer’ for something.

Penny – The view is beautiful. What kind of exercise do you do in the middle of winter? I would think there’d be a stiff wind off the water. In summer/fall that might be fine; but, I hate cold weather.

NYKAREN – I went to the PT who specializes in ‘balance’ issues. I about fell over each time he told me to close my eyes. He explained what all we use to remain balanced and one of the things he will be doing is teaching me some exercises I can do at home. He taped my eyes shut; with one being open and the other being closed; then put on a computerize pair of glasses. That showed him how I was doing with my balance because of the movement in my eyes. Some of this might be due to seizures; but, he also said that it sounded like I had had a ‘mini stroke’ … he said the name – over my head. I know what he is talking about and without the headache back when we were at the beach, I had all the other symptoms.

I went to the bank and had to get the savings account number. The lady who helped me was the one I was talking to when I had my seizure back in May, 2016. She asked how I was doing and said that the loan officer said I was having a seizure. I was out for a good hour. Said it took the ambulance 45 minutes to get there – surprising because they are only a block or two away. Got to go back next week 2 days. I had forgotten to tell him about the seizure. I remember I wasn’t making any sense and stood up, then I hit the floor. Knowing that is a little bit unsettling. Of course, I went on a ‘driving restriction’ for 6 months.

Just texted DDnL#2 – she is sort of having a hard time with all the pregnant women, women with babies, talking about breastfeeding and all that. I know it is difficult. That seems to be all she sees and hears. The day after we found out she had miscarried … I saw 3 pregnant women while I was sitting eating lunch. I know what she is talking about; but, grief is something each individual suffers and it isn’t the same for everybody. She’s back at work and has an appointment I think she said next week and her OB thinks by then, her HCG levels will be back to zero by then. And, I would NEVER, EVER tell her what her mother did ... that was "Get Over It!" This was because she was just ready to come spend the day with her niece and her 'new' baby.

Allie – Sounds like you are doing a nice job of ‘nesting’. That would have been ‘funny’ to watch TomCat’s attorney being yelled at in court. Sounds like she has no concept of what to do to keep her clients’ best interest to heart. Maybe she went through a bad experience herself. Some attorneys prefer to have a woman as a client because they tend to be more reasonable when they see the evidence. TomCat is like a LOT of men, he doesn’t want to have to give you money if you are not married to him. It’s apparent, that he doesn’t like to give you money even ‘if’ you are married to him when you told us what he gave you weekly.

Make sure you post pictures with you furnishing and not let us guess how it looks now without all that heavy furniture in it.

Heather – love the earrings.

Becca – While we were all born in March and April, we are born under different ‘signs’ … and it shows. I’m an Aries – very Ram-Headed; Suzanne is whatever is before Aries starts, and Margaret is whatever comes next.

Suzanne was 15 when I was 9; all I remember about that time was getting 3 books on ‘what to expect when your menstrual time started. They got handed down. I guess one time of telling older sister about it was enough for my Mother. We’ve had a lot of fun the last few years we’ve gotten together. This was the 6th year (with 2 in between where we did not go because Margaret was having surgery – breast first (mastectomy) and then a ‘facelift’. The plastic surgeon said she would not do reconstruction on her because he skin is too thin; but, when she gets dressed up, she wears prosthetic boobs. She doesn’t bother any other time. My oldest sister can be a little aggravating because she ‘hums’ all the time. This year, she took to ‘smacking gum’. Drove me ‘crazy’. Even when I asked her ‘if she realized she was smacking her gum’ … it did not seem to faze her; but, then she told a friend that her grandson was getting rid of his laptop (I’m sure it is because something ‘new’ has come out). Then Tommy told her that he had promised it to someone else; so immediately she texted this friend to tell her that. We were playing dominoes and I finally asked if she was writing a ‘novel’ … if ‘looks could kill’ … I’d be dead right now. Of course, middle sister is a left-leaning liberal … if she leaned left anymore she would be horizontal. She and Suzanne got into it less than 30 minutes after we all go there. Margaret made a comment about all the people who voted for Trump were red-neck, haters, and I think she even said ‘deplorables’ … when Suzanne told her that was just plain out wrong and repeated what she had said to her … she denied even saying it. I guess Suzanne does remember me in the house since she doesn’t remember ‘anything’. Suzanne calls me almost every Sunday morning on their way to church to find out how things are. Margaret never calls; I usually ask Suzanne if she has talked to her. She is sort of stand-offish to us anyway.

Now, back to ‘purging’ … can’t decide where to start again. Guess I will dust some more. Made my bed. Need to clean out closets and drawers. Maybe that is where I will go next. Need to see if I can get my toppers down and throw them in the washing machine. They’ve got dust on them, too.

Lenora
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies and Happy Friday! My week has been swamped since I was off last week. I finally got caught up at the end of yesterday so next week should be back to normal. My weight was pleasantly down after we returned from vacation. I knew I was "good" the whole time we were gone, but you never know. I was down a bit more this morning so all is good on that front. We are meeting a friend in Dallas tomorrow for lunch. I was all prepared for some yummy etoufee, I've already logged it and everything. As we get closer to it, I get less likely to order it. It will probably be grilled fish and veggies for me. Somehow, it never fails that just when I have decided to splurge a little, I'm on the verge of breaking into a new decade on the scale and don't want to hinder that so I choose the healthier option. Every Single Time!

Great news on Brady!

Okie in the Tx Hill Country
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Meg, glad things went well for your DH’s surgery.

Heather, there’s a country song called “I just need to be mad for a while.” I’m sure the sentiment of it applies to your DH. Just give him his space.

I’m loving our new workout plan. We did legs on Monday, back and chest on Tuesday, shoulders on Wed, butt on Thurs, and arms today. We do sprints on Monday and Friday, 30 minutes of cardio on the other 3 days, and abs on MWF. I am feeling more energized already. The total body every day thing was just not working.

The arm workout today: 3 sets of 10 each..
    Narrow chest press on Smith, 20 lbs + bar
    Preacher curls with pulley, 30 lbs
    Hammer curls, 15 lb dumbbells
    Triceps kickback on bench, 10 lbs
    21s with medium bar, no weight added
    3 part overhead triceps with 2 10 lb dumbbells

Then abs: 3 times: hanging crunches (we were supposed to do 20, but I can only do 8 at a time), sit-up leg lift combo with weight, 10 each leg, 20 Russian twist, and 1 minute plank.

Then 8 sprints, run uphill then walk down,

That was at the gym. After I got home and rested with coffee and protein bar, I walked 3 miles. Now I’m done. The last mile I did 3 more sprints because the others could do 10 to my 8 and I wanted to finish.

My DH is having a combo colonoscopy/hemorroidectomy on Monday. We have to be at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. next week should be fun. Not!

I am filling in for our pastor on Sunday so have a sermon to write. And that’s all I have for now.

Katiebug - I am in awe of your workout! You totally rock!

Good luck to your DH with the hemorroidectomy on Monday. Gives me the shivers. Hope they give him good painkillers and plenty of stool softeners. :s But he'll feel so much better when it's all done and healed up. Is he normally a good patient?

I know you'll do great with the sermon!

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Lanette, you asked if my DH is normally a good patient. I would have to say no! He’s ok as long as it is routine, but usually wants to be left alone. I would say this is probably the most major thing he’s ever had done. We have been married 42 years, he is 71, and he’s never had to stay overnight in the hospital. He’s had colonoscopies before, oral surgery, retina tears with laser repair, and gout flare-ups (where he was most grouchy). He’s pretty grouchy when a cold slows him down. So, needless to say, I’m not looking forward to this.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Lanette, you asked if my DH is normally a good patient. I would have to say no! He’s ok as long as it is routine, but usually wants to be left alone. I would say this is probably the most major thing he’s ever had done. We have been married 42 years, he is 71, and he’s never had to stay overnight in the hospital. He’s had colonoscopies before, oral surgery, retina tears with laser repair, and gout flare-ups (where he was most grouchy). He’s pretty grouchy when a cold slows him down. So, needless to say, I’m not looking forward to this.

Katiebug - will this be outpatient or will they keep him overnight/a few days? Here's hoping for a speedy recovery for him... and when he's all healed up from it he'll be the happiest he's been in a long time!!

Hopefully they'll have plenty of good medicine for him that will help with the grouchiness. B)

HUGS to you both!!

Lanette
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Oh how well I remember when I was in general surgery nursing all the henohhriod surgeries we did. Of course all surgeries had you in the hospital for several days. But the number one requirement to discharge was having a bowed movement without feeling like you were entering hell. Well we had the administrator of the hospital as a patient and he didn't want to be humiliated by having that BM in the hospital so he didn't eat much and who knows, maybe he and his wife brinhim in some medicine for diarrhea. Well he had to actually go to surgery to remove his days old impaction. Good luck with your husbands surgery.

I like to think I came from a large family but it was just 5 kids. Then my oldest sister sided when I was 16 so there are only the 4, now Charlie's Mom came from a large family. She was the first of 12. When I met Charlie, he had 4 aunts and uncles that were younger than him. A couple of times his Mom and Grnamda were delivering around the same time. The unfortunate part of it was that his Mom was the babysitter a lot and never finished school. Never even went to high school. She married when she was 16, started having her own children immediately but was till the babysitter for her Mom. Some of you know I have nephews that have a lot of children but no wives. I have one that has five kids and he isn't even 30. He was a heroin addict, a bad one, and was with one woman during a lot of those years and had 3 children with her. But once he was clean, he wanted to see who he was since he hadn't known who he was for many years and left her. His present baby momma is past due with thier baby but I'm sure she and her family will make sure ey marry.

Penny, I didn't think you were in lecturing model anything that happens up there is extremely interesting to us and I enjoyed your story. I had never known or branding by making notches in the antlers. I would think that by putting your animal in a head lock such as with cows or horses and putting a hot branding iron on their back side would be easier to do. Maybe not as humane. But easier to do.

Katla, I missed your husbands check up!!!!!!

Who doesn't love kids having a bubble bath together!!!!

Joyce, Indiana.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,661 Member
    Options
    _
    _
    _
    _
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Katiebug (((( <3 )))) to you for your dh's upcoming surgery, hope he is as comfortable as can be. NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,081 Member
    Options
    Katiebug prayers for DH's surgery.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Penny, If I had that view to look at, it might make me more interested in running! That would be awesome!
    Katiebug, I wish you much luck with dh's surgery! It is an uncomfortable procedure, but I didn't find it too bad, the colonoscopy part was worse than anything else! Although, I have sworn that I will never have another hemorrhoid removed unless it was the size of a walnut! Or maybe I said even if it gets to be the size of a walnut.... In any case, it wasn't pleasant, but the after effects only lasted for the day, so, really not such a big deal. I had to laugh about you saying your dh would not be happy with you discussing his butt, mine wouldn't be the least bit impressed either! lol
    Yesterday was a better day, the last few have actually been pretty good, and the scale actually showed an improvement this morning! Yay!! Now just need to keep it up.... lol Must go, at work, and I think the boss might want me to actually do some work. I've done some, and it's quiet right now so, only so much I can do. Fortunately, she's an awesome boss and doesn't mind us being on the computer for stuff other than work provided all work stuff is done. Anyway, hope everyone has a great day!!
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,873 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies: Hope you are all having a great day. We have a peanut thief at our place. Our goats like raw in the shell peanuts as treats. We bought a 10# bag and were storing it in the barn with other hay and feed. It seemed the peanuts were going fast but didn't think too much of it until the bag got down to the last 6" or so and the next day it was nearly empty. We found a hole gnawed in the back of the bag near the wall. Some critter is going to have a very good winter. We have seen a large grey squirrel around or it could possibly be a rat, the barn has a kitty door. At any rate all peanuts are now in plastic buckets with lids!

My mom has been visiting for the last month but she goes home tomorrow. I will miss having her around. She is 93 and has slowed down but still walks to church when she is at home and drives once a week to get groceries and her hair done.

Michele - Find some shoes with spikes and walk on the ground to aerate it.

Katla - Arrow is a very handsome fellow. I love the white marking on his forehead. How did you like the Tennessee Walker? Were you able to get her to walk out? My best friend has a Walker and loves that smooth fast gait.

Mary - Glad Brady is doing well.

Josephine - Happy Birthday!

Janetr - Happy Anniversary!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies. Today was a rest day since I couldn't bend my fingers after working in my garden yesterday. Had several friends come by for iris, cannas,and other bulbs. Visited for awhile with each. Bought some pumpkins and mums to decorate my front porch.
    Meg- so glad your DH had good news from his surgery.
    Dr Katie- sending good wishes for tour hubby" s surgery and recovery.
    Katla- glad that our DH had good news from his tests.
    Janetr - Happy Anniversary.
    Josephine- Happt belated Birthday.
    Tomorrow morning we are meeting DS and DGS (13) to play golf. Then we will all go out to the ranch for the weekend. I need a rest.
    Penny- I love your posts. We are going to Sweden, Finland and Russia next summer. Ineecto start doing some research.
    SueBDew
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,089 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Felicia, Terry and others, when I was going through menopause I would cry at the drop of a hat…..I mean if you just looked at me! On a regular doctor’s appointment he came in and as usual asked, “How are you?” and I just burst into tears and told him. Lol I went on a mild anti-depressant and that got me through.

Yeah, I had a couple years where I felt like I was PMS-ing all the time. ... everything from rages to depressions.

After a couple years, I started taking Valerian to help me sleep, and it also has a calming effect. Plus I started taking Vit B12 and Magnesium. Since doing that, I've felt much better. Maybe it was just coincidence and I would have started feeling better then anyway, but things have been significantly calmer since.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,379 Member
    Options
    Did Jillian Michael's Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Tracy Long's Definining Lines DVD

Evelyn - (what a neat spelling for your name!). It'll be really funny if my bowling ball can be fixed. Vince seems to think that I need a new ball. Really, why spend the money.....lol

Making a baked potato for Vince and a sweet potato for me so that we can have them later in the week.

Lenora - one time I was at a grocery store and "gave the girl too much money". I told her how much she should give me back, I even used my own calculator to show her. She still had to have her manager come over to tell her that I was correct!

Maria told me about the place where she's going to have the rehearsal dinner. To me, it's an upscale burger joint. But it's not my call. When Denise mentioned about where she was going to have it at first, Denise was very insistent that she wanted it at the place where she got engaged even tho I suggested the place where the girls will spend the night. It's much more classy. Now Maria is going to have it somewhere else and Denise is just going along. Well, they do have lobster tail which I'll probably get. Fried spinach???? Yuk! Most of the reviews were pretty positive although it was mentioned that its lower price. Maria was so insistent that the bridal shower be a sit down waiter served meal, that I'm surprised that she's going to have it here.

Took papers to be shredded. I found out about this event when I went to the Senior Expo (remember, I only go for the bags....lol). They didn't have a limit on how much you can shred. The only thing was that they couldn't take the boxes we had the papers in, but that's OK. Well, I FINALLY got Vince to go thru everything that was in that filing cabinet in the garage. Only 10 years later.....lol

Meg - so glad to hear your hubby is doing as well as can be expected.

Katla - you know, whenever I've gone to a horse barn, it always struck me that the people there who were riding horses are mostly on the thinner side. Jessica leases a horse and she rides it, and I can see that she's losing weight. I bet you are, too. Sorry you aren't getting your yoga in

My car wouldn't start when we left for the shredding so we took Vince's outlook. He's checking out the battery right now.

Penny - poor poor Mike

I am really really trying to up my intake of fiber and having some probiotics (kefir). One of the side effects of that clyndamycin is diarrhea and c-diff. I have no idea why the MD prescribed that before she tried something else. The c-diff can appear even months after it has been stopped. So far, no diarrhea.

Went to WalMart to get my new battery and carb cleaner, then Home Depot for a screw for my battery, then got money from the ATM, then checked the mailbox for Newcomers, then Lowes Foods, then the other WalMart for Vince to get his prescriptions. Now home, got dinner ready and we'll eat in a bit.

drkatiebug - when Vince is under the weather, you would think the world was coming to an end! He moans and groans all around the house. Good luck to you (I'm sure your dh will do fine)

Sue ion WA - what a great suggestion! I would never have thought of that!

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,661 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.04min, 143mhr, 11.2amph. 1.5mi= 82c
    apple watch- 61c
    floor exercises- 55.36min, 4sets of 10ea, squats w/jump, single leg toe touches, ceiling to fl single leg touches, hamstring leglifts, push-ups, all 4's elbow to knee, reverse bicycles, leg lifts, pelvic lifts, on side, leg lifts, l shape, in btwn 6 sets of 20ea in btwn on crunch elevate machine, 120mhr = 237c
    apple watch- 264c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.21min, 16.5amph, 133mhr, 1.4mi= 47c
    appple watch- 40c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 15.58min, 145mhr, 11.4amph, 3mi= 150c
    apple watch- 114c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.08min, 145mhr, 9.34min mi, .5mi= 59c
    apple watch- 55c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.06min, 149mhr, 11.12minmi .4mi= 62c
    apple watch- didn’t record
    Ride ride dome 2 hm- 22.21min, 6.5amph, 137mhr, 2/5mi WINDY AND Hvy bag= 195c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 832