WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Feeling exhausted and so much to do. I bought a dress that totally surprised me. The dress was very reasonably priced but the jacket was a little more expensive.
    Jheri did the birthday supper. Ham , scalloped potato, roasted fall vegetables, roasted carrots, a different cake and home made ice cream. Absolutely delicious. I am glad she had a plan because I did nothing. Well, I signed my name on a dollar store card and didn't write one word extra. Jason suggested that we do a joint party for his Dad and himself in November. Maybe I can handle that.
    Finally got the requisition in for the cortisone again. I am hoping now that she has written a prescription for the year that I will be able to call and book my own appointments.
    Went for a manicure. Silvery grey this time.

Loaded Jason's DJ equipment into our Toyota. I don't think that his cousin knows what he is doing for her. I hope they give him some token of appreciation. It's a big job.
    The counselor's office phoned and I missed the call. I will call them tomorrow and get the appointment.

My thoughts keep getting derailed. Taking my fuzzy brain to bed. I made it to page 11.

I will be incommunicado this weekend.

Talk to you soon.

-Sharon in Lethbridge, Alberta
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Penny Your vistas/views are always so stunning.

I was watching a fun travel/food show last night with DH (on Public tv, called "I'll Have What Phil's Having") it was making us want to travel! and you know I'm not much of a traveller! Anyway, next week's episode is Hong Kong which is getting us both excited...some day we want to go to Asia, yeah, someday!!

Well, my calendar is full of doc appointments, I'm seeing a chiropractor next week for my tendonitis and then to the hematologist, then my annual gyn and mammo appts. Feels a little like a full time job, just taking care of ME!!!
    Now off to pack my bags, soup, snacks and water, gym bag and a very long to do list, I always take the scenic route to work to enjoy the start of the leaves turning colors.

NYKAREN

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    Lenora- I'm sure I will get a fair shake.from what my attorney said she was in court last week and one of Tom's attorneys clients was yelling at her in court,that must have been a scene...
    He should be there at court or his attorney should give all of his finances to mine or Tom will get fined for contempt of court..
    My friend Patty is coming over after I get out of work tomorrow and will ask her opinion..I have the chair and ottoman in my room but thinking of maybe bringing the recliner in here and putting chair and ottoman out in living room..we are going to hang pictures and put up curtains in den and bedroom.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,192 Member
    Options
    Nice ... I've had my third week in a row where I've walked at least 30 km during the week. :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Getting over our blow up, though first thing this morning DH hadn't thrown it off. He was still very upset. I sent him off on a long walk and I went to get a blow dry. Also bought him some chocolate truffles! :o:D
    Found an amazing bakery and bought some heavenly bread - seeded sourdough. Plus some other lunch stuff. The artisan food shops round here are amazing. Too tempting! Luckily the incredible cheese shop was closed. :*:o:/
    DH came back in a better mood. The weather is stunning. We are walking up to the grandchildren this afternoon and will see what DDIL has planned. She and Max have a tennis session after school.
    I will wear my blue tassels that they gave me. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    By the way, I stepped on the scale a couple days ago... I am down another pound since last month. I've lost just about a pound a month since I started the weight training in May without altering my diet very much. The Strong Women Stay Young mentioned this might happen. Still have some belly fat and/or extra skin around my waist, but that's OK and will be curious to see if this trend continues. I don't have a lot to lose, I did the majority of my weight loss with Weight Watchers over the years.

Happy Friday everyone!

Lanette
    SW WA State

Congrats! That's excellent!

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Friday --

Today was one of those days where I didn't have enough hours in my work day to accomplish everything I planned to do.

I've taken on some extra training at work, which I ended up doing most of the day. The training will go on indefinitely with an hour on Thursday mornings, and then I do "homework" (lots of practice) on Fridays. Last Friday it went really quickly and I was finished in about an hour ... this week, not so much. It took all day, and I'll have to wrap it up on Tuesday.

But it's exciting to have this opportunity! So far, I'm thrilled! And it all came about from a brief, casual conversation with one of my coworkers while walking down the stairs to head our separate directions at lunch. I had mentioned what I was taking at uni, he asked if I'd be interested in dabbling more in our systems at work, I told him that I'm willing and that mention has been made that I might get involved "one day" but that nothing had ever come of it. About a week later, everything was set up for this. :):)

And then this evening, my husband and I dressed up and went to the symphony. It was incredible! We thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

We go fairly frequently (roughly once a month or so), and we usually get seats high up in the back. Those seats are good because we can see the whole stage and the sound is excellent everywhere in the concert hall. Plus we get lots of stair climbing in. :grin: This time, however, we had seats in the front row just off centre right in front of the lead violin. It was fascinating seeing everything close up ... really close up!! We still like the seats in the back, but might get the seats in front now and then.

On the program:
    MENDELSSOHN: Hebrides
    BEETHOVEN: Piano Concerto No 4
    SCULTHORPE: Port Essington
    SCHUMANN: Symphony No 4 in D minor

Machka in Oz
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Ipad is acting up.Have a Sunday appt at Apple.It’s across town so quite a drive.Sunday is good,no rush hr traffic,of course driving across the city is no fun.

Kayla love your Halloween decorations. Pat

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,096 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Oct 1 - 51.40 km cycling (162.32 min)
    Oct 2 - 8.2 km walking (100 min) + 11.5 km cycling (40 min)
    Oct 3 - 5.8 km walking (70 min) + 23.6 km cycling (70 min)
    Oct 4 - 3 km walking (35 min) + 20 flights of stairs (16 min) + 15 min weight lifting
    Oct 5 - 6.5 km walking (80 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min)
    Oct 6 - 7.9 km walking (95 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min)

2017 Monthly October
    Walking Distance (km): 31.4
    Walking Time (min): 392.5
    Cycling Distance (km): 86.5
    Cycling Time (min): 273.2
    Stairs Climbed Number: 48.0
    Stairs Climbed Time (min): 38.4
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 15.0 min weight lifting

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 117.9
    Total Distance (miles): 73.3
    Total Time (min): 719.1
    Total Time (hr): 11:59:03
  • Machka9
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Machka I was spoiled as a child. My parents had season tickets to the symphony (2nd balcony, partially obscured view- lol) and if mother or father didn’t go, I was the usual substitute. So I went usually 4 or 5 times a year. + the children symphony season via the public school system (sadly discontinued when I was in sixth grade) about the same number of concerts.

But I was REALLY spoiled because the orchestra was the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in its heyday with Sir George Solti conducting.

I’ve never quite adjusted to other Orchestras. Perhaps it is like one’s Mother’s cooking a childhood favourite dish. Other versions can be good, and enjoyable but nothing ever quite compares.

Rye

I too love the occasional close up seat I’ve gotten, how fun it is to watch the musicians up close! Your evening sound like it was quite splendid!

I grew up listening to classical music ... my father, in particular, loves it and has a huge collection. But unfortunately we rarely went somewhere to see an orchestra. I'm not sure why not, although we did live in a number of small towns out in the middle of nowhere, so that might have been part of the reason.

In my 20s, I started going to the ballet and symphony with my ex-sister-in-law a couple times a year and enjoyed it. But then there were a bunch of life changes, more small towns out in the middle of nowhere, etc. ... and finally we ended up here and I expressed an interest in going to the symphony. To my surprise, my husband was all for it! :)

The orchestra here is great ... really impressive performances.

I do wonder, however, when we move again as we no doubt will at some point in the next 5 or 10 years ... will I enjoy the orchestra in the new place? Have I been spoiled? :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Lagopus Penny Are dried currants useful for anything? Just thinking if you dried them and stored them in a bag in the freezer they wouldn't take up much room...

Karen in Virginia
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    @Lagopus Penny Are dried currants useful for anything? Just thinking if you dried them and stored them in a bag in the freezer they wouldn't take up much room...

Karen in Virginia

It has been a long time, but I’m pretty sure my mom’s oatmeal cookies were made with currants.