WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Rye and Machka - I grew up singing in the choir so I'm spoiled, too. Spoiled rotten, even! When I'm at concerts and I'm NOT on the stage I feel I'm missing out on all the fun. :(

My jog was good and I'm back home now, cooling off. Mike and a couple of his sheep friends are now in the forest, just the other side of the fence around our yard. I'm sitting here at the dining table, looking out through our big picture window and seeing all these big white shaggy animals lurking among the trees. At least they aren't polar bears!

/Penny, ready for a shower near the North Pole
  • Lagopus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Nice suggestion Karen in VA, but it won't work for me. a) They don't dry very well. b) Even if they did, I couldn't get them dry before I have to leave the day after tomorrow. c) There's REALLY no room in my freezer.

Rye There's currants and currants. The currants your mother put in oatmeal cookies are almost certainly small dried seedless grapes. The currants I'm talking about are related to the gooseberry. They're full of seeds - which is one reason they aren't very appetizing when dried. They come in black, red, and white varieties. Mine are red and black, and it's the black ones I've made jam out of. If you've ever had Crème de Cassis, you know what I'm talking about.

/Penny, off to the shower!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Penny There you go! I think you've solved your dilemma! Buy some vodka and make Creme de Cassis! :D:D:D
  • Lagopus
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Good to hear, Meg. You're overdue for some good news :flowerforyou:

Same goes for Katla, with your DH's status continuing to be quo.

I was just out picking raspberries (surprise dessert for the Hubs tonight) and heard a weird hollow thunking sound. To my horror, Mike the reindeer had found a molded plastic deck chair and gone at it with his antlers. Did it look like a rival, I wonder? When upside down it had four prongs sticking up, about the same size and configuration as reindeer antlers. Anyway, he had gotten himself entangled in the chair!

Poor Mike! He thrashed and twisted, trying to get his opponent to give up and go away, but (being a stupid chair) it refused to back down gracefully. I said earlier that Mike would be okay all alone this winter, but I realized that a chair on his antlers could tip his energy expenditure balance toward starvation. What to do! I didn't dare go close and try to liberate him. These reindeer are only semi-domesticated and though they're much smaller than North American caribou, I'd guess Mike weighs about as much as I do on a bad day >:). Approaching a frightened animal that's thrashing around with two-foot long antlers on its head wasn't an option.

So I just waited. After 5-10 minutes, he got free. Yay! And then he went on the attack again! Boo! Before he could get himself re-stuck, I started running toward him, jumping up and down and shouting and telling him to bugger off (sorry Brits). And he did. I grabbed hold of his "rival" and stowed it safely inside our sheep fence. I wonder who in the village is missing a white plastic deck chair?

/Penny, having a busy day near the North Pole
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Friends,

Ginger, it sounds like you are doing a great job on the purging. Are those papers all from home? I do the same thing with tax files; remove supporting docs in the old ones and combine years. It helps but is time consuming.

Katla, Arrow is beautiful. Thanks for the picture(finally). Lol

Felicia, Terry and others, when I was going through menopause I would cry at the drop of a hat…..I mean if you just looked at me! On a regular doctor’s appointment he came in and as usual asked, “How are you?” and I just burst into tears and told him. Lol I went on a mild anti-depressant and that got me through.

Penny, now you have me concerned about the lonely reindeer. I think the farmer should include him with the sheep.

Heather, I love all the pictures of the grands.

Mary, fantastic picture of the baby Brady. Prayers heading that way. (later) so glad to hear he got the all clear!!!

Janetr, I hope you had a great anniversary yesterday. I love a good steakhouse but they have gotten so expensive that we very, very rarely go to one any more.

Heather, I love the earrings. It sounds like you are having a grand time with the grands. I’m glad your DH got over the tiff. They are no fun but we all have them.

Meg, glad the surgery went well.

Allie, it’s so wonderful to hear of your adventures in your new home. It would be nice if Tom and his attorney ould get their act together but I guess it only helps you when they don’t. Keep loving live, my friend. (((Hugs)))

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. This is a great place for support and information so come often and join in the chat. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had gotten pretty far behind so had to skim over a few posts. I’ve been a bit busy with the Moose and next weekend will be at the state convention for three and a half days. I’ll log my food and try to read posts but don’t know how much time I’ll have to post.

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,657 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Today is our 8th anniversary. We are going out to dinner at Salt Grass Steakhouse, one of my favorite places. I got a beautiful bouquet of roses this morning.

Janetr okc

awesome! congrats!!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,320 Member
    Options
    Mega, Katla, so happy to hear about your DHs. :D<3. Good news.
    Mine is very happily playing with the grandkids. :p<3:D.
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :)Meg,glad the news was good

:)Katla, glad the news about your husband's MS is positive
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hello my ladies!

Heather, I love the tassel earrings! I think the ebb and flow of marriage, is kind of like how life happens. We live, crisis happens, we overcome, we appreciate, then love life again. The same with marriage. We live, we fight, we make up, we appreciate, then love each other again. If we didn't affect each other, I'm afraid life would be as exciting as Luke warm oatmeal.
    Fellow cheese lover!
    Becca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    rzhhjsyhql3z.jpg
    Need to make this!
    Becca
  • pipcd34
    Options
    |||||||||||||
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    Lenora, yep I am the baby too! My middle sister and I are 4 years apart, and her and my oldest sister are 3 years apart. So when I was 8, my oldest sister was 15 years old. I make a joke to her all the time, that I was still into Barbie's, when she was into boys. She was more my co-mom, than my sister. We are both Gemini's so there were some doozies of fights that we had!
    One burned in my memory is her being bossy, when our parents were out to dinner. I stated that I was so mad at her that I wanted to throw my milk at her, (there was just a bit at the bottom of my glass). So easy, that I did, and milk was dripping down her forehead and we yelled racing round the house! My middle sister trying to say funny things, ANYthing to get us distracted. Then to my horror, my leg went down into the heating register on the floor by my parents bed! We used to dry our hair leaning over the grate when the furnace kicked on. Many times we forgot to put the grate back on it. So my leg down in it to the upper thigh, and then the heat turned on!! My sisters are laughing, and saying my leg was gonna just burn up!! Oh geez noooo! Needless to say, I got my leg out, but not without much drama, and crying. Good times.... Lol!
    The other day my middle sister stated she didn't really remember me in the house growing up. That she was really shy and had all these problems self esteem wise. I was like, really? You don't remember me in the house....???? Its the fact that she took morphine, and vicotine, for years until the doctors stopped giving it to her....that could possibly be it?! I am not happy with my sisters choices, butbwhat can I do but voice them every so often. Not that she listens.

Great job people that are losing weight!! That's so awesome, proud of ya!!

Becca
    Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Meg, glad things went well for your DH’s surgery.

Heather, there’s a country song called “I just need to be mad for a while.” I’m sure the sentiment of it applies to your DH. Just give him his space.

I’m loving our new workout plan. We did legs on Monday, back and chest on Tuesday, shoulders on Wed, butt on Thurs, and arms today. We do sprints on Monday and Friday, 30 minutes of cardio on the other 3 days, and abs on MWF. I am feeling more energized already. The total body every day thing was just not working.

The arm workout today: 3 sets of 10 each..
    Narrow chest press on Smith, 20 lbs + bar
    Preacher curls with pulley, 30 lbs
    Hammer curls, 15 lb dumbbells
    Triceps kickback on bench, 10 lbs
    21s with medium bar, no weight added
    3 part overhead triceps with 2 10 lb dumbbells

Then abs: 3 times: hanging crunches (we were supposed to do 20, but I can only do 8 at a time), sit-up leg lift combo with weight, 10 each leg, 20 Russian twist, and 1 minute plank.

Then 8 sprints, run uphill then walk down,

That was at the gym. After I got home and rested with coffee and protein bar, I walked 3 miles. Now I’m done. The last mile I did 3 more sprints because the others could do 10 to my 8 and I wanted to finish.

My DH is having a combo colonoscopy/hemorroidectomy on Monday. We have to be at the hospital at 6:00 a.m. next week should be fun. Not!

I am filling in for our pastor on Sunday so have a sermon to write. And that’s all I have for now.