WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lenora-you are right on the details. And less said is likely better. That is how it was with me-I did not forgive the comments.
    PINK HIGH HEELS, BARBIES! Sometimes I wander down that toy aisle.
    I am sick. I will hold okay on diet but exercise will be limited. Bah, humbug. Also scale at Y was 165--4 more #s on a 5# challenge to go and 40 #s in full more. I want/need something to drink but water is not doing it. This is a kidney thing with nausea, pain, and I don't drink tea, coffee, or juices and milk is probably a bad idea due to antibiotics. What other suggestions might you have?

Diet ginger ale.

Also, with nausea, lemon-ginger tea is nice. Ginger settles the stomach.

Seconded. My family always did 7-up or diet 7-up, my husband’s family did the ginger-ale. We both notice now that to us: ginger-ale and 7-up taste so much better when sick. Lemon-ginger ‘tea’ is not like tea at all, btw. But hot lemon drink always feels soothing to me when I’m sick ( a holdover feeling from the British ‘Lem-sip’ cold medicine I used in the 1980’s) and ginger is very nice for upset stomach ailments.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    Lenora-you are right on the details. And less said is likely better. That is how it was with me-I did not forgive the comments.
    PINK HIGH HEELS, BARBIES! Sometimes I wander down that toy aisle.
    I am sick. I will hold okay on diet but exercise will be limited. Bah, humbug. Also scale at Y was 165--4 more #s on a 5# challenge to go and 40 #s in full more. I want/need something to drink but water is not doing it. This is a kidney thing with nausea, pain, and I don't drink tea, coffee, or juices and milk is probably a bad idea due to antibiotics. What other suggestions might you have?

Diet ginger ale.

Also, with nausea, lemon-ginger tea is nice. Ginger settles the stomach.

Seconded. My family always did 7-up or diet 7-up, my husband’s family did the ginger-ale. We both notice now that to us: ginger-ale and 7-up taste so much better when sick. Lemon-ginger ‘tea’ is not like tea at all, btw. But hot lemon drink always feels soothing to me when I’m sick ( a holdover feeling from the British ‘Lem-sip’ cold medicine I used in the 1980’s) and ginger is very nice for upset stomach ailments.

Yes ... I find normal teas (black, green, etc.) to be too bitter and I need something to sweeten them. There are only a very few of those I like (Lady Grey, French Grey, and that's about it).

Lemon-ginger has no "tea" and I can drink it without adding anything sweet ... although honey is nice sometimes.

Incidentally, for something sweet in the evening, I drink a rooibos-chai tea. That tea is quite sweet with no sweeteners added.
  • ryenday
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cathy I love water exercise classes. And one thing I’ve noticed is that I feel like I fit in better in all swimsuits because virtually no one looks good in a swimsuit in those classes - so I’m an invisible part of the pack! Plus, really only shoulders and upper arm are visible in the pool.

You say you fell - when walking? I have started doing these exercises pretty regularly and think my balance ( especially the oops, I tripped but can catch myself before I fall down balance) much better since I’ve been doing them. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/foot-strength-impacts-longevity-3-exercises/

Rye
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    I am trying to fight off something my immune system is fighting something off.cant afford to be sick.
  • ryenday
    Options

Incidentally, for something sweet in the evening, I drink a rooibos-chai tea. That tea is quite sweet with no sweeteners added.

My go to sweet drink that has no sugar or sweetener is Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea. Again, tea only in the herbal hot drink sense. A lot of people do not like the fennel/anise/licorice taste so obviously not for them. But if you like that taste, you might be amazed that this drink is so sweet yet no sugar or sweetners are in it!

I’ll have to try your suggestion, Machka . The hot sweet drink is one of my tricks to curb late night munchies and it would be nice to have options! :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! I am back from my visit with DD, her DH and baby Joaquin. I will have pictures to post as soon as I get them all uploaded to my computer. Had a wonderful time and that baby!!!!! <3o:) It was just amazing to walk up to him and have him recognize me from our viber sessions. I got the big grin, he leaned in and when I took him in my arms his little hands embraced both of my cheeks and he leaned in for a kiss. Oh, sweet babies! Best medicine in the world for this grandma.
    Lanette- the "One" celebrity death that will hurt most for me will be Sting. His voice, is/was the loudest voice on the soundtrack of my life. I have had a recurring dream that Sting and I are talking over coffee. Not about "us" but about life. I told DD about this dream long ago and she thinks it is funny. I don't dream about sex with Sting; just coffee with him. Maybe because it is two things that I love? I mean, I do love sex; but I look forward to coffee every morning. Not sure I could look forward to sex every morning. So that would come in third to Sting and coffee...
    Machka- I grew up as a non-athletic, skinny girl. I was a late bloomer so I went through high school as a string bean. Never having to develop good eating/exercising habits. The thinness stayed with me through the birth of my children because I was a restaurant manager and the amount of walking and moving that I did every day at work, kept the consequences of the bad food choices at bay. When my youngest was two I quit the restaurant workforce, and began caring for kids. The weight began to stick. (I was almost 30). Peri-menopausal at 36 and forty pounds overweight I began to work out and watch my eating. That began the fad diets and yo-yo weight gains and losses. Finally at 46 I joined Snap Fitness and met my work out partner. She is 10 years younger than I, but she introduced me to MFP (I think that was in 2013). She and I took up running together and have done a few 5Ks (she has done a couple of half marathons and one marathon). Although I cherish her help and support we are ten years apart in age and ability and life experience. Then in 2015 my younger sis was diagnosed with brain cancer and I discovered the wonders of stress on our bodies. I found this group in January of 2016 and found the mental and inspirational support to be just what I needed. I love this group! <3
    Beth- Colicky babies. Definitely agree with disregarding the oatmeal idea! At this age?! Definitely second opinion as far as physician is concerned. I have had a few colicky babies in my care. I basically wear them in a carrier all day. There have been times when I need to put them down and they have to cry for a bit while I tend to other kids/tasks. If your niece can get her in a darker or quieter room, with some soothing instrumental music very soft in the background and just walk or sway with baby in carrier or in arms (upright is the most popular position for fussy babies). Gas drops are also something to try. Baby massage or leg positioning to help move gas/bowels. I have used the placing baby in bouncy seat that vibrates or in a bassinet or car seat against the running dryer or washer method. They are a trial while they are colicky; but be strong, breathe, spend some time in the morning or night in meditation/ mental prep; this too shall pass. Colic usually lasts no longer than 6-12 weeks.
    Janet- While skimming through over 200 posts; I think I read that you and your DH celebrated an anniversary? Happy anniversary!
    Machka again- lol! The nuts! I have learned about the good and evil of healthy foods. Nuts especially. Once I realized my body reacts well to a high protein program; every body and their mother seemed to be pushing nuts on me for their "protein". Unfortunately the protein value is overshadowed by the fat and calories. My nut allowance is about 7 blanched almonds as my fat on a lighter exercise day (like a day when I am just walking). My DH has found that with his RA; most nuts are not a good choice. And he LOVES the ones that top the "bad for joints" list (cashews and pistachios). Cashews and pistachios have always been a favorite treat in our home and a frequent "Christmas stocking" item. *sigh awwww nuts!

Well, I have to get some paper work done and get ready for my work day/week that begins tomorrow. ttfn love to all of you! KJ (Kelly)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Rye- I discovered the Egyptian Licorice tea a couple of years ago. It is my go to "sweet" hot beverage! It does a wonderful job of curbing that sweet tooth!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

My go to sweet drink that has no sugar or sweetener is Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea. Again, tea only in the herbal hot drink sense. A lot of people do not like the fennel/anise/licorice taste so obviously not for them. But if you like that taste, you might be amazed that this drink is so sweet yet no sugar or sweetners are in it!

I’ll have to try your suggestion, Machka . The hot sweet drink is one of my tricks to curb late night munchies and it would be nice to have options! :)

I get this one most often:
    http://www.tetley.com.au/our-teas/products?id=27&priority=4
    150115084708-maincinnamon_and_orange_large.jpg

Twinings also has something similar, and I've got a different kind at work.

But I think of them all, the tetley one is my favourite.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Joaquin! <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Waiting impatiently for photos of Joaquin! <3:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather and Machka: I like the food scale very much, but also like dishers for soft foods such as cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream and mashed potatoes. These are commonly used in restaurants to standardize portion sizes. I have three, 1/2 cup, !/3 cup, & 1/4 cup. :smiley:

Penny: What is LCHF? :huh:

Allie: I miss Gloria, too. :broken_heart: I hope you're able to avoid getting sick. Moving is stressful, and getting used to a new environment is, too. In your place, I'd be drinking water, chicken broth, and mint tea. My mom always called chicken soup Jewish penicillin and it is a goto meal for me if I feel like I'm coming down with something. (((HUGS)))

Josephine: Are you an herb tea drinker? I love peppermint tea & chamomile tea. Although you've said you aren't fond of it, water is likely the best choice. :star:

Tere: Congrats on the loss!!!! :star::star::star:

This will be a busy day but it will start with yoga and that is good news. I have a treat set up, a pedicure!! It has been over a year since my last one. I got planters warts from my last pedicure over a year ago. Planters warts are caused by a virus that takes a year to run its course. I'm now beyond the one-year mark. The foot-bath wasn't properly cleaned. The beauty shop has gotten rid of their old chairs with foot-baths and now use disposable plastic bowls. We'll see how it goes. DH is getting his done before me.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Penny: What is LCHF? :huh:

Sorry, Katla. Editor that I am, I should know better than to use undefined abbreviations. LCHF = Low Carb High Fat.

/Penny

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Marcelyn, can I have one of your 13 grandkids? I don’t have any and I don’t think my daughter will have any .

Janet, my daughter ADHD and was very hyper so I know how that is. She did settle down as she got older. I had to change things like decorating at Christmas to very little decorations as it was overwhelming for her. Hyper kids get over stimulated with busy environments. Your right that it’s too little to late for your kid’s father. Glad you found your prince charming. Sometimes you have to kiss a bunch of toads first. Sometimes people change over the years into someone that you can’t live with. Life is short and you must move on when you know it is the right time. I got married the second time after we had been together 10 years and owned a home together. The only reason we married is so that we could get the other’s social security and that if one of us died our wills would be more secure.

Miakoda40, Love the quilt block. My mother owned a guilt shop in her home for years so this reminds me of her. I have a number of her quilts and I treasure them. Put the year somewhere in the corner of quilt.

Lenora, glad you liked the wreath. We may have it sold if my co-worker says it is large enough for her door. I’ve finished the table centerpiece but want to get candles for it before I send a picture. You can also use wreaths on the wall or as a centerpiece with a large candle in the middle. I can’t imagine making so many. They are pretty expensive to make as you need so many different pieces so it looks full and silk flowers are expensive. I want until they are on sale or I have a coupon. I found beautiful red roses in the fall section at 60% off so I scooped them up.

Sue, congratulations on losing the 20lbs and being almost to your goal weight. You go girl!

Sharon, (((HUGS))) Do what is right for you. We are here for you whatever you decide.

Michele, thanks for the recipe.

Joyce, have fun with the grandkids.

Katla, can’t wait to see the finished blanket! Can’t remember if you mentioned the color.

Machka, I love nuts and have to be careful because of the calories. My nutritionist said to eat sparingly but that they do help you lose weight. I use ginger ale when my stomach is off. My mother, who was a nurse, always stirred it to take the bubbles out before she gave it to me.

Penny, I love the bar code reader too! It makes it so easy and no guess work.

One of the things that happened that made me want to finally lose the weight was when my DH and I were with another couple who we have known for years and we were going down a rocky hill. I knew when they suggested it it could be a problem. Well of course I fell and couldn’t get up. Our friend and my DH tried pulling me up and they had a really hard time. I laughed to cover my embarrassment. That’s one of the mental pictures I have that I think about when I want something I know I shouldn’t have. I don’t ever want to be that embarrassed again!

Going out at lunch time to see if I can find red candles to go with the centerpiece I just made. If I find them I’ll send a pic.

Hope everyone is having a good day. How does everyone like the idea of picking a day, say Oct 23rd, and making it a “commitment to good eating day”? We could all commit to eating what is good for us for that one day. Might be nice to know we are all doing it on the same day together. What do you ladies think of this idea?

Well, back to work.

Terry in VT
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :star:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Josephine, what is about plain water that isn’t cutting it for you? Knowing what you do like to drink (even if it’s calorie laden) will help us with substitution suggestions.

You have gotten some good suggestions for hot drinks. If you prefer cold, Diet ginger ale is good if you are avoiding caffeine but are ok with artificial sweetener. I’m also a fan of Diet orange soda for a caffeine free drink, but again, there’s sweetener. If you are also avoiding artificial sweeteners but like the carbonation, have you tried the flavored sparkling waters like La Croix? They give you flavor and fizz without sweet. I like Lime, coconut, cranberry, watermelon, just to name a few.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Kelly ~ Can't wait to see photos of Joaquin!

Terry in VT ~ Congrats on the loss!

I have read and read and read so can't remember who said what when.....

Carol in GA

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here have long term care insurance? I don't. My daughter-in-law's parents have it and it has been a godsend.

Karen in Virginia