How many carbs do you plan to eat in a day?

Options
My hubby has been doing keto a few days a week and all this talk of low carb has me questioning how many carbs I should be getting a day. By eating what I want, I generally get around 150-200 total (maybe 120-150 net). I'm sure there will be a huge range of answers but I'm curious. How many carbs do you plan to eat in a day?

Replies

• burnema
    burnema Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    20 carbs a day for strict Keto diet.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't plan carbs, they just fall where they fall, generally between 150 and 350.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    225 six days a week, 325 one day a week.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    334 low days, 429 high days.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Right now... 375-400g
    225 six days a week, 325 one day a week.
    334 low days, 429 high days.

I need some of that!
    :o
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have about 137 grams per day. My intake used to be a bit higher but I have been concentrating on increasing protein intake, while still consuming a healthy amount of fat. My mix is 37%C, 31%F and 32%P. I found increasing protein was the key to satiety, but that is just me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I average about 250 grams per day...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't plan carbs, they just fall where they fall, generally between 150 and 350.

Same here. Although I never get as high as 350. 250 to 260 is about as high as I get. I focus on protein first and let the carbs and fats fall where they fall. I kind of keep an eye on fats but they never need much attention to stay in a good range.

Is there a specific reason your husband is doing keto? Insulin resistance? Cravings? Symptom control for something else?
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    All of them.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Usually between 160-200. Grains, fruit (fresh and dry), nuts, and seeds make about 2/3 of my diet and together that piles up to a lot of carbs. I see no reason to decrease that though as I feel great and it fits perfectly my lazy personality when it comes to food preparation.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't count them, but I do focus on choosing high fiber, nutrient dense carbs. Generally this makes me a bit lower carb than the average person, probably.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't count them but I do try to get more carbs after an intense ride.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No generic answer for this...everyone has their own unique needs.

1. Are you maintaining weight or want to loose?
    2. Are you trying to build muscle?
    3. What is your burn rate? (activity level/exercise/fitness workouts)
    4. Do you have any medical concerns? (a thyroid disorder can really affect this)

Though not perfect, try using one of the online Keto calculators which will walk you through lifestyle questions. HELPFUL FOR MORE THAN PEOPLE ON KETO DIET PLANS. A good one will ask for input on your weight, height, body fat (Unless you were professional tested-make a honest realistic guess), lifestyle and goals. Also allows you to play with different scenarios. For those math majors in the group, most will also explain how they calculate and why and even provide you with the formulas.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't plan for a specific amount (just focus on getting enough protein and fat), but I see the past week I've been eating about 250 grams a day and I feel pretty awesome.
  • WildBill_CQ
    WildBill_CQ Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Low-Carb Keto Diet: 1,800 calories 68g - Carbs; 203g - Protein; 80g - Fat
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Re protein:
    I get over 50% of my protein (130 g) from "carb" sources.
    Pasta, beans, bread, a good bit from potatoes and peanut butter as well. I really struggle to not go over my protein while trying to hit high carbs.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Is there a specific reason your husband is doing keto? Insulin resistance? Cravings? Symptom control for something else?

I think he does it because of insulin sensitivity and preserving muscle mass. I don't really know. He does his thing and I do mine :) Hubby has been lifting for over 10 years and looks like a magazine model. I'm lucky for the arm candy but it sucks because I'm definitely not at the same level of fitness. I can't focus on my diet for a couple of months and lose 40 lbs like him. Granted, he does some pretty extreme intermittent fasting most days and then does carb cycling where he eats very low carb/keto a few days a week.