How many carbs do you plan to eat in a day?

Options

Replies

• Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to carbs. I only go by calories now. I have a hard enough time keeping track of that!

What if you go way over what youre supposed to eat for carbs?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Trex5009 wrote: »
    I don't pay attention to carbs. I only go by calories now. I have a hard enough time keeping track of that!

There is no "supposed" unless you have a personal limit due to preference or a health condition. As long as I eat the minimum protein (at least 75 grams in my case) I have set for myself the rest can go over or under as it pleases.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Then you eat less fat and protein... Calories are what matter at the end of the day.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I eat around 55% carbs, and had to check my diary to see that that's around 200-300 grams of carbs.

Note, a carb is not a unit of measurement. :smiley:

Nothing bad will happen.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

You hopefully hit some PRs the next day? Usually works for me :)
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

The world blows up? No, I'm kidding. Honestly, it doesn't matter. Calories matter. I looked through the last 2 months of logging and I'm usually between 150 & 200, but if I'm eating food in a way that keeps me full and satisfied, the actual numbers don't matter to me. Not being Hangry IS important to me. Losing weight/maintaining weight IS important to me. The little details don't matter.

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My goal is to stay below 50 and I'm ecstatic if I succeed. But I don't get upset with myself unless I go over 100.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Like the others, I just concentrate on hitting my minimum for protein and let the other numbers fall where they will. I used to look at hitting my minimum on fats as well when I first started paying attention to macros, but given what I typically eat and my calorie needs to maintain, I don't even have to try so I don't pay attention to that anymore.

Looking at my last month, I typically fall in the low 400g range, and it's varied from 300 up to over 800 g/day (ran a marathon that day) over the past 30 days. I have to eat ~3000 calories/day to maintain my weight.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    All of them.

Same. Each carb.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Like so many others, I concentrate on hitting protein and fat and let the carbs fall where they may. I usually get anywhere from 200-275.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My daily macro goal is 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat on 2000 cals, which works out to 200g protein, 200g carbs and 45g fat.

Hard to meet the protein goal w/o supplements but easy to go over on carbs/fat.

I adjust my meals to meet the macro goal w/in the cal limit and focus mostly on protein and fat. Carbs take care of themselves.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    My daily macro goal is 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat on 2000 cals, which works out to 200g protein, 200g carbs and 45g fat.

I adjust my meals to meet the macro goal w/in the cal limit and focus mostly on protein and fat. Carbs take care of themselves.

Why so much protein? Seems much more than most people would need.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Why so much protein? Seems much more than most people would need.

Why do you think it is SO MUCH?

It's not too much for me and far less than others consume for the purpose of weight loss or gain and/or muscle growth or maintenance.

There is a simple-minded habit on MFP to state that people only "need" 0.8-1g per kg of body wt in protein for "normal" dietary purposes in order to preserve one's heath and bodily functions. However, it is seldom also stated that this is only the daily MINIMUM suggested RDA (recommended daily allowance), which means that people actually may need and benefit from more than the minimum RDA.

Among those who may need more than the minimum RDA are: older people, people who are trying to lose or gain weight or and people are trying to grow or maintain muscle. You can easily Google for articles making the argument that people in these groups can benefit by more than the minimum RDA in protein.

Most of the people on MFP are within these groups and therefore would benefit by more protein than the minimum RDA for protein. The more realistic and practical recommendation for these people is.0 8-1.2g of protein per # of BW.

In my case, I am both older (67) and have the goal of maintaining (and increasing if possible by means of heavy lifting) muscle mass.

I weigh 158# and my macro goal of 40% protein is equal to 189g or 646 cals of my daily cal limit of 1900, which is equal to 1.2g protein per #BW.

I keep very close track of my macro intake and while my goal is 189g or 1.2g/day of protein, the ave over the past 16 months has actually only been about 161g or 1g/#BW per day.

As a result of this rate of protein consumption combined and dietary control combined eith exercise, I was able to lose 38# from 196 to 158 and drop my BF from over 20% down to 10% while maintaining my LBM (including muscle) at 140# (+/- 2#) over the past 16 months based on DXA and hydroststic measurenent

So, in my view, the amount of protein that I consume is NOT so much. It was and continues to be precisely the amount of protein that I have needed to consume in order to achieve my physical and dietary objectives.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    I'm another who targets protein (100g for 120 lb goal weight), fat (+/- 50 g), veggie/fruit servings (lots, 5 minimum: usually 10+), and lets carbs fall wherever. Around 200-300g carbs average most days, I think, with a calorie budget somewhere around 2000-2500 gross in maintenance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    tenor.gif
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I try to stay between 20-25
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to carbs, but looking through my diary I average about 200g-400g a day. I just make sure I'm getting enough calories and protein in.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    about 100 on non training days - higher on days I lift - sometimes much higher on squat days - Eastcoast Jim
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic - I don't count by day but can only handle about 45g per meal, so three meals and a snack usually adds up to 150ish. My blood glucose readings tell me that it really doesn't matter how many carbs I get per day, what affects me is how many I have at one sitting, and exercise. A lot of exercise will lower my fasting readings for 24 hours.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs everyday. I am quite active however.