How many carbs do you plan to eat in a day?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not something I really pay attention to. Some days more, some days less...just depends.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    No generic answer for this...everyone has their own unique needs.

1. Are you maintaining weight or want to loose?
    2. Are you trying to build muscle?
    3. What is your burn rate? (activity level/exercise/fitness workouts)
    4. Do you have any medical concerns? (a thyroid disorder can really affect this)

Though not perfect, try using one of the online Keto calculators which will walk you through lifestyle questions. HELPFUL FOR MORE THAN PEOPLE ON KETO DIET PLANS. A good one will ask for input on your weight, height, body fat (Unless you were professional tested-make a honest realistic guess), lifestyle and goals. Also allows you to play with different scenarios. For those math majors in the group, most will also explain how they calculate and why and even provide you with the formulas.

1. I'm about 5 months into a re-comp. As time goes on I think I may decide to eat at a deficit a little later down the road to get rid of my tummy.
    2. Yes, trying to gain muscle
    3. Burn rate? Very sedentary through the day (office job and long commute) but I lift weights with the 5x5 strong lifts program every other day for about 30 minutes.
    4. No medical concerns at all.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options
    I don't plan for carbs, I just eat them. I looked at my diary though and I average about 230 grams per day.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to stay between 80-120. I usually fall on the upper end but I get almost all of them from nutrient dense healthy sources so Im fine with that :)
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i usually eat 100-150g a day, but i count calories don't care about carbs
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I usually get at least 300g
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't plan for carbs, I just eat them. I looked at my diary though and I average about 230 grams per day.

Yup, me too. Looking through my logs I see I usually average about 250 g/d.

Although when someone asks "how many carbs". I want to start counting: fructose, glucose, galactose, that's 3, sucrose, lactose, maltose, that's 6...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to carbs either. But flipping through my diary, it's typically between 200-250.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here so I need to stay under 180 grams per day. My MFP goal is set to 35% of my calories which makes it 140 grams (1600 calories). When I eat back my exercise calories, I try to stay with a similar percentage but do not go over 180 no matter how many extra calories I have to eat (in theory. I have the occasional lapse).
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to carbs. I only go by calories now. I have a hard enough time keeping track of that!
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    330gm while cutting, 400gm+ when i maintain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I never restricted carbs, I just ensured I hit protein and fat minimums while hitting my calorie goal.
    Carbs are tasty, nutritious and filling for me as well as fuelling my exercise.

How many?
    Between "lots" and "loads" (loads = 621g and still in a deficit that day.)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Is there a specific reason your husband is doing keto? Insulin resistance? Cravings? Symptom control for something else?

I think he does it because of insulin sensitivity and preserving muscle mass. I don't really know. He does his thing and I do mine :) Hubby has been lifting for over 10 years and looks like a magazine model. I'm lucky for the arm candy but it sucks because I'm definitely not at the same level of fitness. I can't focus on my diet for a couple of months and lose 40 lbs like him. Granted, he does some pretty extreme intermittent fasting most days and then does carb cycling where he eats very low carb/keto a few days a week.

Gotcha. He is probably doing some kind of stubborn fat protocol that the super lean do when they want to lower BF even more. That shouldn't really apply to you. If you are in a normal BF range, a calorie deficit will do the trick for fat loss with adequate protein. Or recomp.

You've kind of given conflicting goals. You won't build muscle while reducing fat if you have been doing weight training. Recomp will do it, albeit very slowly. You can always reduce fat in a calorie deficit and then do a skinny bulk at a slight surplus to gain some muscle. So many choices. Just depends on what is best for you. But, it doesn't sound like carb manipulation would really bring you anything that just a cut or a recomp wouldn't get you.
  • lcns09
    lcns09 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I stay around 300, give or take. Low carb diets are NOT for me
  • __twisted__
    __twisted__ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Currently around 400g. I probably need to go slightly higher.
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic here. Ketogenic W.O.L. My goal is to consume less than 30g per day. Once I reach my goal weight I will change to a maintenance of no more than 50g per day. Blood sugars are well under control and will be reducing meds at Dr.'s appt on Oct. 16th. Hope this helps.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Each day is different depending on the goal - if I am running, swimming or cycling, I eat higher carbs (125-150g). If I am on a cardio rest day, a little less (75-100). If I have a big race coming up and I am carb loading, I eat all the carbs (500+) for several days in a row.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My overall grams will vary from day to day but my carbs are normally around 40% give or take a bit either side. A weekly average has them at around 200 grams a day. Works for me and gives me the energy I need.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I don't count carbs. I'm a runner though and I eat a lot (2000-2500 calories). My diet is pretty carb heavy - about 300+ according to the MFP Report.
  • Trex5009
    Trex5009 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    250-300 a day