Introverts Unite!!!

Replies

• IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    I'm not an introvert, you are.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Introverts do need their own support network and friends that understand they just want to stay in and binge watch netflix on a Friday or Saturday night instead of going out for a drink.

In a society where most people are expect to be extroverts understanding how introverts tick is very important as they many positive attributes to bring and if most people think about their best teacher or boss then they will have probably shown more introvert tenancies than extrovert ones. For example a good listener, not rushing in and making rash decisions, ask for everyone's perspective and taking the best one (so not just asking people's opinion for the sake of it), giving people credit when they could easily have taken it for themselves.

If you haven't read 'Quiet' by Susan Cain or watched the TED talk https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts both are well worth reading and watching.

'Quiet' is currently on my nightstand. My manager lent it to me; she's an introvert like me. In fact we both recently had to attend a two day team-building event (I hate these things with a passion) and she and I gave a presentation on introverts in the office and we showed that TED talk to the delegates. And yes, it was bloody hard work to get up on that stage.

I have a copy of Quiet but never got through it. Felt a bit self-indulgent, to be honest. Maybe I'll give it another try...
  • S0MuchPain
    S0MuchPain Posts: 7 Member
    Yea I tend to do things myself unless I reallllllllly need help. But any kind of support I can give you just ask. Add me
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Not an INTJ but close , I am an INFJ introvert. I can deal with people in short bursts with prior warning but always need plenty of recovery time after.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member

I have a copy of Quiet but never got through it. Felt a bit self-indulgent, to be honest. Maybe I'll give it another try...[/quote]

Agreed
  • jenna_mikewolf
    jenna_mikewolf Posts: 31 Member
    So it has been about a month since my last “Unite the Introverts” check in, how is everyone doing??
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    I was given this link in another thread, which I found interesting:

https://www.16personalities.com/

it has its own definitions of the acronyms, and I had some trouble taking their assessment - I had trouble answering the questions and kept thinking "I don't know?" but though I'm not sure I agree with the outcome in some respects, one thing was clear - every time I take it, I get around 90% introvert lol
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Introverts do need their own support network and friends that understand they just want to stay in and binge watch netflix on a Friday or Saturday night instead of going out for a drink.

In a society where most people are expect to be extroverts understanding how introverts tick is very important as they many positive attributes to bring and if most people think about their best teacher or boss then they will have probably shown more introvert tenancies than extrovert ones. For example a good listener, not rushing in and making rash decisions, ask for everyone's perspective and taking the best one (so not just asking people's opinion for the sake of it), giving people credit when they could easily have taken it for themselves.

If you haven't read 'Quiet' by Susan Cain or watched the TED talk https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts both are well worth reading and watching.

I got the ebook but could never finish reading it... I was crying too much and had to pause so many times! This might sound weird, but I felt like in so many decades finally someone is speaking on my behalf (tears).

I’m still trying to get more info from this book so I can “educate” my also-introverted fiancé about the good qualities of ourselves.

(Yay it’s raining outside! Hot-drink-and-reading/workout time <3 )
  • Lipsmahoney
    Lipsmahoney Posts: 512 Member
    I see your challenge of uniting just introverts, and raise you the challenge of uniting INTJs like myself....

Bwahahahah good luck with that!

8ujux0ox2amb.gif

INTJ with 100% emphasis on the "I" Nice to know we are out there, but not "right" out there, that would be too much
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited November 2017
    I was given this link in another thread, which I found interesting:

https://www.16personalities.com/

it has its own definitions of the acronyms, and I had some trouble taking their assessment - I had trouble answering the questions and kept thinking "I don't know?" but though I'm not sure I agree with the outcome in some respects, one thing was clear - every time I take it, I get around 90% introvert lol

Yeah, I score differently each time I take it. Over the last 10 years, I've been an ISTJ, INFP, and most recently an ISFP... I think it depends on the phase of the moon or alien rays? Each time it agreed on the 90% introversion though. Whatever.

They needed an option to answer "yes, I do that shizz when it's required or when no one else will, but otherwise I'd rather sit on a chair of rusty nails in a thong bikini..."
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

Yeah, I score differently each time I take it. Over the last 10 years, I've been an ISTJ, INFP, and most recently an ISFP... I think it depends on the phase of the moon or alien rays? Each time it agreed on the 90% introversion though. Whatever.

They needed an option to answer "yes, I do that shizz when it's required or when no one else will, but otherwise I'd rather sit on a chair of rusty nails in a thong bikini..."

*laughs*

that's my answer in some cases. For example: in the above, they asked a question "Which is more important: winning a debate or preserving someone's feelings?" or something like that. But my answer is: I don't tend to get into debates!

The funny thing is I've taken that test 4 times, tweaking my answers each time, and yet every single time, I get the same result: INFP, which I just can't see as me!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Not an INTJ but close , I am an INFJ introvert. I can deal with people in short bursts with prior warning but always need plenty of recovery time after.

I am also an INFJ. Oddly, long time ago, I used to come out as INTJ but I think that was because I was living with an INTP who looked down on emotions, lol.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    edited November 2017
    baconslave wrote: »

*laughs*

that's my answer in some cases. For example: in the above, they asked a question "Which is more important: winning a debate or preserving someone's feelings?" or something like that. But my answer is: I don't tend to get into debates!

The funny thing is I've taken that test 4 times, tweaking my answers each time, and yet every single time, I get the same result: INFP, which I just can't see as me!

Fixed the quoting.
    Exactly! So many times I thought: "What now? In what universe is that going to happen? :smirk: "
    They ought not to try to stuff us too neatly into boxes...we're way more wily than we look. I do what I want! Unobtrusively. When I'm sure no one is staring at me.

Anyway, I think that site is just over analyzing things. I know I have changed some over time. So I'm not too surprised that my results are a bit all over the place. I think the particular letters after that "I" reflects where I am in my life right then. I'm certain that at some point as a child I was a solid E. But then life smacked me down in various ways and I decided "why in the hades am I beating my head against this crappy wall" when I don't have to.
    The "I" side is better. We have cookies...that we make and enjoy by ourselves.

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I'm home! now nobody talk to me i just want to be alone :D
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    here
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Me too (or me alone!?).
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I'm an ISTJ, and really very clearly so...

But I think what's important to remember about Myers Briggs is that the type you get is kind of your "comfort zone" or your preference for communication etc, but that you are still absolutely able to operate in other ways too. You can find yourself operating as other types quite often, but your underlying type is kind of your natural fall back underneath it all, if you stripped away all your learned rather than inate behaviours.
    And it can depend if you answer the questions with a work angle or a personal angle. I mean, I come out as ISTJ both ways, but in real life I act more ISTJ at work than I do in my social life, where I find it easy to put aside my desire to organise etc. I guess some people who are more borderline on the categories might have one type for work and another outside work.

When I first did it on a work training course 8 or 9 years ago, the most valuable thing for me to learn was that the reason I sometimes clashed with other people was simply that there are these four key variables, and that my natural approach obviously won't work with someone who is opposite to me in several of them. It's not a failure of who I am, and no personality type is better or worse than any other, but I am quite an extreme ISTJ so I can be quite far off the wavelength of other people. (Equally, I can be entirely on the same wavelength with people who are similar to me!)
    I generally just make sure I'm aware of how other people are communicating so I know how to tailor my response, and I think it's helped me get a lot further professionally than people who've never gone through the exercise of learning about their Myers Briggs type and how that might come across to other people...
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    I’m an introvert, part time (bipolar) lmao.. isolation really helped me lose a great deal of my weight! (130 lbs) I did all my workouts from home for the first 4 years! Part of what keeps me going is the creativity of my workouts
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I'm an ISTJ, and really very clearly so...

But I think what's important to remember about Myers Briggs is that the type you get is kind of your "comfort zone" or your preference for communication etc, but that you are still absolutely able to operate in other ways too. You can find yourself operating as other types quite often, but your underlying type is kind of your natural fall back underneath it all, if you stripped away all your learned rather than inate behaviours.
    And it can depend if you answer the questions with a work angle or a personal angle. I mean, I come out as ISTJ both ways, but in real life I act more ISTJ at work than I do in my social life, where I find it easy to put aside my desire to organise etc. I guess some people who are more borderline on the categories might have one type for work and another outside work.

When I first did it on a work training course 8 or 9 years ago, the most valuable thing for me to learn was that the reason I sometimes clashed with other people was simply that there are these four key variables, and that my natural approach obviously won't work with someone who is opposite to me in several of them. It's not a failure of who I am, and no personality type is better or worse than any other, but I am quite an extreme ISTJ so I can be quite far off the wavelength of other people. (Equally, I can be entirely on the same wavelength with people who are similar to me!)
    I generally just make sure I'm aware of how other people are communicating so I know how to tailor my response, and I think it's helped me get a lot further professionally than people who've never gone through the exercise of learning about their Myers Briggs type and how that might come across to other people...

Interesting observation about clashing at work. I'm also an ISTJ. My former boss and mentor (a man I felt privileged to work with for 5 years) was the exact opposite - ENFP. Yet our working relationship was always brilliant! We even joked about how we should hate working together.
  • Adamanda5
    Adamanda5 Posts: 38 Member
    I mostly identify as an introvert because my personality and participation shrink with strangers in the room. But when I'm with a small group of friends or family I'm a completely different person. I'm downright hilarious, but you are all just going to have to take my word for it.