Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Need some advice from you lovely people.

At of the beginning of the year after reading this thread, I restarted diet/refeed days. I did great for about a month, lost 4 kg.

Then, I got sick. And then, it was lunar new year in this part of town, which means ungodly amounts of social eating, visiting, sitting around for like 10 days. I gained 2 of the 4 kg back (figured some of it was water weight).

I finally got back on a deficit this week, planning to do a refeed after 7 days of dieting (since that's when glycogen stores get depleted), and then continue on to a refeed day every 5th and 7th day of the week (as I was doing regularly that first month).

First four days, I was hungry, cranky, but whatever, eating less sucks. I managed it (1.500 cals for a gal that maintains at 2,090).

Yesterday, I was on track for meeting my goal basically all day, and then things happened that made me very emotional and angry with myself. So I binged. Brownies, beans, oranges, anything I could get my hands on until my stomach hurt.

Long story short: yesterday I emotionally and in an unplanned way, ate over cals.

Here's the question: do I start my 7 day count all over again? Or do I consider it a "refeed" day? Except because of the binge, I don't feel I got the mental and emotional break from dieting that refeeds usually give me (and that help with lowering stress). Instead I'm more stressed.

Do I ignore it and stay with the plan to have a refeed in two days?....But at that point am I even on a diet, considering it would push me further from having a deficit at all this week?

Would love to hear your ideas about where to go from here.

I think given that for you part of it is the mental break, if still doing a refeed/maintenance day will give you that, then do it. Doesn't really matter if you end up with little or no deficit for the week, unless that in itself is going to stress you more. It would obviously be an issue if it kept happening, because as you say, at that point are you even on a diet? But as a one off, it's fine.
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I think given that for you part of it is the mental break, if still doing a refeed/maintenance day will give you that, then do it.

Thank you for your input. I think I'll do that.
    heybales wrote: »
    And just so you can think about it accurately, you actually aren't depleting glucose stores after 7 days of dieting. Not by a long shot.
    Just didn't want some misunderstanding getting passed on.

I thought I heard Lyle say in a podcast that leptin (or was it grehlin?) could show signs of increase in as little as a 7 day deficit? Anyways, that's obviously not the same as depleting glycogen stores, so I must have misread/misunderstood something along the way. Thanks for the correction, I appreciate it.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OK I am meal planning prior to the Sainsbury's shop in earnest and I just have to say there's way too many exclamation marks. Hot cross buns! Pikelets! Hot cross buns! Pikelets! (This is a direct quote, haha)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    Just dropping in to share that I've successfully maintained within .5 lbs. for 4 WEEKS!! Thanks to all the thoughtful responses and suggestions in this thread. I'm keeping a spread sheet and charting my gross and net calories, and slowly learning to trust the numbers. I've had a few issues with putting the brakes on weight loss mode but I'm getting a good handle on that and figure that within the next 4 weeks eating at maintenance will be as much a habit as eating in a deficit was.

I don't even have the words to describe how different my life is now. When I created my profile I was sick, exhausted and scared. I'm none of those things now, and it was the journey from there to here that created that change. I truly believe that if the weight loss fairy had tapped me with her wand and melted away 50 lbs. on the spot I would just be a thinner version of my depressed, unhappy self. I needed to go through the process, experience failure and learn to let it go, learn to embrace success as an outcome of my own efforts, not luck.

I also wanted to share that I just got the results of my labs for my annual physical, and every single number is within normal range, for the first time in years!

Wow! That is just wonderful! <3
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    *waves meekly* I'm still here! Increased Synthroid is mostly helping things be as they should be, which is excellent.

But right now, I'm largely impressed at how the half marathon recovery has been. Major perks to having a dietitian and a sports med person who knew what they were doing this time around -- before including air travel and sodium (dang, Disney food got tasty), I've gained *half* of what I expected to gain after the race. (Normal post-half water impact is about 3 percent for me -- I'm only at 1.5 percent this morning.) When you consider that flying usually gives me 2 percent, and sodium another 1.5, this is *excellent*. I'm much less panicky about this post-race gain than I usually am, considering that even with all of these factors, it's still not as high as I was expecting it to be.

Besides. My race percentile was *awesome* this time -- finished right in the middle of my division, gender as a whole, and the overall pool. I am thrilled.

Clicking the "Awesome" button! :drinker:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So did the thread ever get nominated for sticky-dom and did we end up with any new nuggets out of the women's book?

Sadly, I haven't had the time to read much. Student issues at work.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    Did it again. Had a hungry day yesterday. Ate some potato chips, logged them. Still had room for the pizza I had planned for dinner and managed a small deficit for the day while still hitting protein targets.

I will be happy once the chips aren't in the house any more, though. I do have to say that. My son wanted them. They are a weakness of mine. I'm glad I'm giving in in a somewhat controlled fashion, though.

You might like these, they solve my need for savory at 100 calories a pack (7 grams protein, 5 grams fiber, 3 grams fat). Enlightened Broad Bean Snacks.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

At of the beginning of the year after reading this thread, I restarted diet/refeed days. I did great for about a month, lost 4 kg.

Then, I got sick. And then, it was lunar new year in this part of town, which means ungodly amounts of social eating, visiting, sitting around for like 10 days. I gained 2 of the 4 kg back (figured some of it was water weight).

I finally got back on a deficit this week, planning to do a refeed after 7 days of dieting (since that's when glycogen stores get depleted), and then continue on to a refeed day every 5th and 7th day of the week (as I was doing regularly that first month).

First four days, I was hungry, cranky, but whatever, eating less sucks. I managed it (1.500 cals for a gal that maintains at 2,090).

Yesterday, I was on track for meeting my goal basically all day, and then things happened that made me very emotional and angry with myself. So I binged. Brownies, beans, oranges, anything I could get my hands on until my stomach hurt.

Long story short: yesterday I emotionally and in an unplanned way, ate over cals.

Here's the question: do I start my 7 day count all over again? Or do I consider it a "refeed" day? Except because of the binge, I don't feel I got the mental and emotional break from dieting that refeeds usually give me (and that help with lowering stress). Instead I'm more stressed.

Do I ignore it and stay with the plan to have a refeed in two days?....But at that point am I even on a diet, considering it would push me further from having a deficit at all this week?

No advice, but I do sympathize - between a bout of the flu and a few sloppy nights out, I inadvertently maintained for most of this month. Whoops! Well, that's life, and life happens, and there's nothing to do but move on. *hugs*
  • Psychgrrl
    Options

As a partial solution, maybe a smaller deficit so you can eat more? 1750? Taking a look at your macros as tweaking them a bit to see if you can feel fuller longer. For some reason quinoa and those konjac "newdles" are soooo filling for me (no, I don't eat them together).

And, it seems the binge may not have been due to hunger alone. If emotions are driving your eating, you can still binge on a refeed day. Go to the source--why the binge? And what strategies can you put in place to help you go in another direction? And I think getting outside help can be the most productive.

Good luck! :heart:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,935 Member
    Options
    Bump up so that @samib901 can find the thread.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Bump up so that @samib901 can find the thread.

Probably should have linked the thread directly, but hopefully she finds it.

On an unrelated note, I'm developing new calluses that are probably going to hurt if I pick at them. I think I'm in dire need of a manicure and hand treatment :tongue: