Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    After reading newheavensearth's thread, I think I might just do maintenance next week while my activity is scaled back and make it a diet break.

I was thinking that I didn't need one because of all the binging I've done over the year, but I'm likely just as messed up hormonally as the next person due to my high level of activity all year (save for the occasional slug day, which was rare).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm just going to ask you guys' opinions on the SC thing: so today, among other things, I have glute bridges, torso-inclined push ups, and side planks from knees. I am going 'lol' at all of those. So can I a) whack a dumbbell or weight plate on my hips for glute bridges, b) do push ups from knees (which is where I'm currently at), and c) just do the proper damn side plank? Box squats I'm happy to just do bodyweight today because those are new for me so I'd like to get a feel for them before picking up my medicine ball.

The answer is yes, right?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Okay, I'm just going to ask you guys' opinions on the SC thing: so today, among other things, I have glute bridges, torso-inclined push ups, and side planks from knees. I am going 'lol' at all of those. So can I a) whack a dumbbell or weight plate on my hips for glute bridges, b) do push ups from knees (which is where I'm currently at), and c) just do the proper damn side plank? Box squats I'm happy to just do bodyweight today because those are new for me so I'd like to get a feel for them before picking up my medicine ball.

Yup. I'm not familiar with the specifics of that program but if your level of fitness means that you will not get any resistance as written, I'd make the adjustments you are describing. You may work some of the small muscles in ways that you haven't been and have a little soreness but no big deal. I know there have been times when I've added something new to my program and it hasn't felt that strenuous but got soreness the next day from some long neglected small muscles.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Have you done glute bridges before? If you have and are pretty good with them, go for it with weight added. On the other hand if you haven't done them very much or don't feel it in the glutes, I would get used to bodyweight and work on glute activation before adding weight. Everything else, use modifications when you need to and do the advanced version if you can.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yes. It's been a while since I did SC. Are you doing the bodyweight or the regular program?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Have you done glute bridges before? If you have and are pretty good with them, go for it with weight added. On the other hand if you haven't done them very much or don't feel it in the glutes, I would get used to bodyweight and work on glute activation before adding weight. Everything else, use modifications when you need to and do the advanced version if you can.

Yep, been doing them for weeks. I actually switched to feet elevated hip thrusts (which I thought were called feet elevated glute bridges, but not according to the book!) recently to increase resistance, and added a dumbbell to those the last two training sessions. So I think I'm good to go on added weight for glutes bridges! Thanks @sardelsa :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Yes. It's been a while since I did SC. Are you doing the bodyweight or the regular program?

Bodyweight, cos I don't have enough equipment for regular, and you know I don't gym ;).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options

Bodyweight, cos I don't have enough equipment for regular, and you know I don't gym ;).

You'd be surprised what you can improvise for the regular program. I did it with just adjustable dumbbells and resistance bands. I can hook you up with some alternatives.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

You'd be surprised what you can improvise for the regular program. I did it with just adjustable dumbbells and resistance bands. I can hook you up with some alternatives.

I would probably know this if I had read the book yet :p. Hmmm, looking at the template, I could do Workout A of regular. Not sure what I would use for a bench is about the only thing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yep, been doing them for weeks. I actually switched to feet elevated hip thrusts (which I thought were called feet elevated glute bridges, but not according to the book!) recently to increase resistance, and added a dumbbell to those the last two training sessions. So I think I'm good to go on added weight for glutes bridges! Thanks @sardelsa :)

I actually prefer glute bridges with a dumbbell vs barbell, and you can add a resistance band (or two) for more fun.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I actually prefer glute bridges with a dumbbell vs barbell, and you can add a resistance band (or two) for more fun.

I don't do SC but do plenty glute bridges. Am going to start making some of them frog pumps because hilarious but also well good.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options

I would probably know this if I had read the book yet :p. Hmmm, looking at the template, I could do Workout A of regular. Not sure what I would use for a bench is about the only thing.

I have a bench, but you can do a floor press.

For workout B, I think it is, the one exercise you can do those inverted rows she's doing from the hanging things by hanging from a table.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I have a bench, but you can do a floor press.

For workout B, I think it is, the one exercise you can do those inverted rows she's doing from the hanging things by hanging from a table.

I could also potentially move my deck picnic table and use the seat, though it's a bit wide.

Table is too flimsy to hang from, but you can knot a sheet and have it over a door with the door closed and use that ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh, another one is if you get resistance bands with a door hanger, you can do lateral pull downs. I will never do a pull up and have no goals to, but you can sub lat pull downs for pull ups in the work outs.

Edit: You can do back extensions over the side of a couch.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    If I really want to do pull ups (one day!), I can walk along to the park and use the conveniently located pull up bars :). There's actually a heap of stuff I could use there. If I wanted to workout in public, which i don't...