Paleo Diet 30 days (starting Monday October 16th!)

Replies

• jlyork1981
    jlyork1981 Posts: 7 Member
    I will join you guys. I have done Paleo in the past and loved it. I have a thyroid condition so Paleo works better than just about anything else. My biggest problem is the sugars. I don't do dairy anyways so no issues there. I will try to post daily. I am trying to lose 20 lbs by Christmas.
  • energyseeker
    energyseeker Posts: 855 Member
    Hi all. Did good today Healthy salads. Egg. Steak. Fresh vegies. Fruit. How about you all?
  • stephyyyo
    stephyyyo Posts: 107 Member
    Great job energyseeker!

I did good today: tea, beef with tomatoes, sweet potato, and for dinner veggies with mushrooms sautéed and stawberries!
  • k1ttykaz
    k1ttykaz Posts: 6 Member
    Hey peeps
    It sounds like a good start for you both :)

I've had a couple of fresh juices (I need my green juice instead of coffee :D), mango, veggie noodles salad and some chicken and an apple.
  • energyseeker
    @k1ttykaz I've gotta try making veggie noodles. I love my daily smoothie- with spinach and frozen fruit and I'll use cold green tea for the liquid base. Also add splash of coconut oil and lemon juice. Make good choices today :)
  • jlyork1981
    I had an okay day yesterday but due to some unseen circumstances I had to sacrifice myself and eat a protein bar. Today has started out better with coffee, eggs, and sausage. Here is to having a good day today.
  • stephyyyo
    Awesomes job k1ttykaz! I love veggie noodles too

That smoothie sounds delicious and nutritious energyseeker, I’m gonna try it with green tea!

Jlyork1981 glad to hear you’re not letting yesterday keep you down and are doing good so far today! I think planning ahead is key and having healthy snacks prepared in advanced will help a lot

Let’s go day 2!!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    k1ttykaz wrote: »
    I'm in! I will probably also do some legumes and also veggie juices. Looking forward to it! I've been having too much dairy lately. @energyseeker Hardest for me not to consume will probably be yoghurt and chocolate.

Starting weight (5'8") 14/10 178
    Goal weight @ 30 days 14/11 165

You're trying to lose 13 lbs in 30 days. So... 3.25 lbs per week?
  • jlyork1981

Jlyork1981 glad to hear you’re not letting yesterday keep you down and are doing good so far today! I think planning ahead is key and having healthy snacks prepared in advanced will help a lot

My problem wasn't the planning it was the foster children in my home that decided last night was the night to go nuts. So today I have taken precautions. :smiley:

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    stephyyyo wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    I've been mostly paleo, or at least paleo inspired, for the last month or so I guess. But I'm trying to crank it up now. Pretty much completely grain free already, switched to mostly grass-fed beef and pasture raised chicken and pork.

Dairy is lingering, but I've cut it down a lot.

Wow sounds like you are already on the right path! How have you been doing for the month? Have you felt better, lost any weight?

I'm losing at the same rate as before easing into Paleo, about 2 pounds a week for the last 4 months.

I haven't changed my macros or calories at all, just choosing different food. No obvious changes to my health yet.
  • stephyyyo
    edited October 2017
    Today was hard for me. I ate paleo and didn’t cheat, but been a week today for me and all I want is to cheat and eat whatever I want tomorrow. I keep thinking one day won’t hurt.

But then I have to remember is never just ONE day...once I go back to eating however I want that’s when I keep eating badly and I won’t ever reach my goals if I don’t stick with this as a lifestyle.

Today I had 1 egg, 2 slices of turkey bacon, for lunch I had split pea soup and a sweet potato. For dinner I had avocado and salsa and green plantain. And homemade fruit smoothie.
  • jlyork1981
    stephyyyo wrote: »
    Today was hard for me. I ate paleo and didn’t cheat, but been a week today for me and all I want is to cheat and eat whatever I want tomorrow. I keep thinking one day won’t hurt.

But then I have to remember is never just ONE day...once I go back to eating however I want that’s when I keep eating badly and I won’t ever reach my goals if I don’t stick with this as a lifestyle.

Today I had 1 egg, 2 slices of turkey bacon, for lunch I had split pea soup and a sweet potato. For dinner I had avocado and salsa and green plantain. And homemade fruit smoothie.

Stephyyyo try adding in more protein and it should help you feel a little better.

I had a good day yesterday and today has started out well. Weighed in this morning and I have lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks just by adjusting my carb/fat/protein levels. Now to keep eating healthy and for my body.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm just seeing this challenge but I'd like to join! I've been trying to get back on the primal path. A few weeks ago I was on track and hit all my calorie goals and felt great! Eating this way makes me feel amazing... but this week has been a wash. I can do better, it's totally worth it.

Here's a community group for paleo topics if anyone's interested! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • energyseeker
    @stephyyyo Maybe eat more of a food you do love that is paleo approved. I make large salads to fill me up and top with protein, today grilled chicken to fill me up. I do cheat with the dressing, choosing a viniagrette that is bottled but I just drizzle it.
  • stephyyyo
    jlyork1981 wrote: »

Stephyyyo try adding in more protein and it should help you feel a little better.

I had a good day yesterday and today has started out well. Weighed in this morning and I have lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks just by adjusting my carb/fat/protein levels. Now to keep eating healthy and for my body.

Thank you I will try that!
    Amazing job on 9 lbs in 2 weeks that’s a great accomplishment! That makes us motivated.

I'm just seeing this challenge but I'd like to join! I've been trying to get back on the primal path. A few weeks ago I was on track and hit all my calorie goals and felt great! Eating this way makes me feel amazing... but this week has been a wash. I can do better, it's totally worth it.
    Welcome!! Look forward to seeing what you eat this week!
    @stephyyyo Maybe eat more of a food you do love that is paleo approved. I make large salads to fill me up and top with protein, today grilled chicken to fill me up. I do cheat with the dressing, choosing a viniagrette that is bottled but I just drizzle it.

Thank you! I did that today and it helped, I ate more protein, had mustard chicken with veggies and a salad and fish for dinner!

• energyseeker
    Doing well so far. My fruit smoothies made with frozen strawberries, bananas, blueberries, frozen spinach leaves, coconut oil, iced green tea, and lemon keep me powered til lunch. I start work at 6 a.m. For lunch salad with tomato and chicken breast. I think supper will be salmon. How you all doing? Ideas for paleo meals?
  • energyseeker
    Made salmon patties but they fell apart easily because I couldn't put the crackers in to hold them together. Added egg and shredded carrots, diced onions. Had some with my egg for breakfast and my fruit smoothie and and also for lunch. Supper will be a hamburger/cabbage/onion/mixed vegie soup I put together. Need to spice it up somehow. Maybe salsa. Weight down, I'm not counting calories, Without the carbs and dairy in my diet, I'm sure it is low. Instead of ice cream every night, I've had an apple.
  • k1ttykaz
    k1ttykaz Posts: 6 Member
    edited October 2017
    Have been doing great lots of salads and veg a little bit of chicken and fruits. Until tonight. Failed miserably with almond milk icecream and I'm paying for it. Feel sick as. And didn't fix the emotional stuff it was intended too haha :/
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    How you all doing? Ideas for paleo meals?

My idea of a good paleo meal is to fill about half the plate with vegetables, about 1/4 of it with meat, maybe 3-5 ounces for my needs, and the rest is some good fat and some starchier vegetables (or fruit or nuts if you like them; I don't).

You can't go wrong with nomnompaleo.com recipes, I think.

Recently she posted a cashew sweet potato dip that is delicious with a plate of raw vegetables to dip in it for a snack or even a meal with some protein on the side. I thought it went especially well with broccoli, cauliflower and sugar snap peas. It's caloric, so limit portion size if you're trying to lose weight. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/156278901808/sweet-potato-and-cashew-dip-from-tess-masters

For breakfast, I often make vegetable/meat hash. Just chop up (or use frozen) a variety of your favorite vegetables like parsnip, carrot, kale, onion, spinach, mushroom, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, butternut squash, zucchini, etc. Brown some ground beef or homemade beef/ turkey sausage or leftover chicken or roast from last nights' dinner. Add the vegetables and cook until tender. Add any salt, pepper, herbs that you like to taste. If you want, break an egg into the pan and put the whole thing in the oven for about 5 minutes to let the egg cook. You can make a big batch and then just reheat portions of it all week.

For lunch, I like a big salad with some sort of meat or eggs. The easiest is to buy big bags of prepared greens/vegetables at the store. Yesterday, I had artichokes, hearts of palm, green onion, red cabbage and carrot. Add some avocado, and oil and vinegar of your choice for dressing. Then put some meat or an egg in it. Try a can of salmon, sardines, oysters or tuna. Or leftover chicken or roast from an earlier dinner. Or saute some chicken livers and put those on top of the salad.

I'm trying this butternut squash risotto for dinner tonight: http://autoimmunewellness.com/butternut-squash-risotto/

and this later this week: http://www.paleocajunlady.com/aip-paleo-green-onion-bacon-fried-rice/
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    edited October 2017
    Made salmon patties but they fell apart easily because I couldn't put the crackers in to hold them together. Added egg and shredded carrots, diced onions.

Try putting some baked mashed sweet potato, plantain, taro, rutabaga, turnip, parsnip or similar into the fish patties to help keep them together. Or use a little arrowroot starch, coconut flour or almond flour in place of the crackers if you eat those items.