First time posting, have I been losing weight too fast?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    tevihn wrote: »
    Alright guys, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. Im going to start eating a minimum of 1500.

I wanted to lose weight and be healthy, not just lose weight.

Thanks again for the awesome help and support!

Onwards and upwards

Reconsider. Please.

As 59-60 year old, 5'5" woman, I lost handily at 1600 net calories, 1800-1900 gross calories. I ended up losing 50+ pounds in less rhan a year.

1% of your body weight per week is a sensible, healthy goal. If you lose faster, you risk health problems. (I briefly ate too little at first. I felt good . . . until I didn't. I got fatigued and weak. It took surprisingly long to recover.)

If you lose too fast, you won't look as good. You risk things like muscle loss, hair loss, sallow complexion.

You're close to prime age to build fitness and strength (you won't gain much if any muscle in a calorie deficit, assuredly none in a big deficit, but you can build strength through neuromuscular adaptation, and set yourself up for muscle mass gain once you hit goal weight. You can also increase cardiovascular fitness.)

I'm not attacking you. I'm being very blunt because I'm sincerely concerned about you. Granny just wants you to stay healthy and strong. Please, please listen to all the boring old people here.

Please.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Alright guys, thank you so much for the information, I really appreciate it. Im going to start eating a minimum of 1500.

Onwards and upwards

I'm not attacking you. I'm being very blunt because I'm sincerely concerned about you. Granny just wants you to stay healthy and strong. Please, please listen to all the boring old people here.

Lol... granny, yeah right. You can probably kick all of our butts ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Onwards and upwards

I know I'm scared of her :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,898 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Onwards and upwards

I know I'm scared of her :)

Heh. ;)
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and weigh about 250 now AFTER losing 35lbs

I've been eating 2000 a day and dropping 2.5lbs per week easily

I'm considering eating more frankly

You should seriously consider what you're doing

you're in a catabolic state - when you eat such a large deficit your body
    cannot differentiate between fat and lean muscle

This means SOME of the weight you are losing is lean mass, absolutely certain

Eat more
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    If it helps to make sense of some of the advice about how many calories to eat, exactly, it's good to remember that calories in/calories out is an estimate, but that number on the scale is much more concrete (within a range). If you're consistently losing 4.5 pounds a week, then you are averaging a 2250 deficit every day. It doesn't actually matter what logging errors you're making, if any. You should start adding calories to your diet until you're losing 2 pounds a week at most. As for what that looks like, I personally recommend nuts and cheese. Good luck!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

you're in a catabolic state - when you eat such a large deficit your body
    cannot differentiate between fat and lean muscle

This means SOME of the weight you are losing is lean mass, absolutely certain

It's my understanding that we all lose some lean muscle mass during weight loss, but the goal is to minimize it. Also, the body can only burn so much fat in a week, and then the rest will come from muscle.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    It's 1200 for the minimum of a sedentary petite female. And 1500 minimum for a sedentary male. Which you aren't as you said you've been working out so you need to change that. You're definitely under eating. Plug it all into your profile and eat the amount of calories you are suppose too. If you don't it can lead to health problems and it may cause you to gain all the weight loss back from binge eating because you're under eating and restricting yourself and your body so much!
  • tevihn
    tevihn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to poke in here and thank everyone again for being so helpful!

I really appreciate all of the advise, and I overate a little yesterday to compensate a bit for the past 2 days of eating 900.

Some real life stuff was going on (nothing bad, just distractions) that caused me to forget to eat as much, so I kind of ate back those calories yesterday. (I ate around 2200)

Today is a new day, and Im already at 1500 for the day (I havent put it into MFP quite yet, have it all written down as I just got home from work and I dont have cell reception at work to put the calories into MFP)

Thanks again, everyone!
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Keep checking in for advice and support
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How much more weight are you trying to lose OP? Less than 50lbs, right? Really you should at this point set MFP to lose 1 lb/week, which is going to be more than 1500, and focus on eating enough protein to preserve lean body mass while you are losing...